1987 toyota supra question

rob1

Nov 6, 2009
tennessee
I have a 1987 supra that blew up. i bought a 1989 7mge to put in it and the swap is done. the oil pans were a little dif in size but could not swap oil pan and oil pickup because the 89 had journals cut into oil pan at rear for the crank to ride through and the 87 oil pan did not so the crank would have hit the oilpan. Although the dif in the two was very very slight, for some reason the oilpan would not clear the cross member. it was about 3 inches to far forward. so in my frustration. i pulled the motor back out and smashed the cross member in with a sledge hammer to create enough room for oil pan to clear. Pretty dumb idea, it worked though, motor went in and i have put about 2500 miles on it since. my problem now is, what problems might i experience later on down the road from beating the hollow space out if the cross member, and for some reason the engine sits with the front end up a bit to far for some reason causing slight exhaust bolt up problems and for some reason there is a thumping noise when i drive. it almost sounds like the drive shaft hitting the floor of the car?? but it is not consistant and varies little with speed. just a dull thud from underneath the car, any ideas as to what that could be?? i know it is difficult to answer without hearing the sound but im at a loss as to what the sounf=d could be and what could be making the motor sit at that angle because it is completly clear of the crossmember. any ideas?? sorry for the lack of words to describe problems.

88_7mge

N/A Lover
Dec 1, 2008
Hemet, CA
sounds to me like you put too much angle on your driveline, and now your carrier bearing is done for, take it to a shop and have them figure out what you did wrong to cause that issue and replace that carrier bearing. hopefully you didnt mess up the u-joints on the driveshafts when you did that either.

I guarantee that when you went to town on your engine cradle to make the pan clear you warped it and thats putting the motor mounts on an angle.

sogi99

Jan 2, 2008
Elk Grove, CA
per IJ says you have to use the same engine brackets and mounts from your 87 motor to put on the 89 engine. I think all the engine crossmember are the same. You have to get another crossmember since you pretty much bent the one you have on the car now.

IJ.;1471976 said:
Put the correct engine mount brackets on the new engine..... :nono:

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
yep, really painful for my pocket too.

So, my advice, fix what IJ recommended and drive the car, if the noise still continues buy A.) a new c bearing (expensive) or B.) A new dshaft.

Also check your bearings in the tranny. With the driveshaft making that noise, it isnt centered, so it will KILL your bearings in the tranny if your not careful.

Good luck man.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
rob1;1471834 said:
I have a 1987 supra that blew up. i bought a 1989 7mge to put in it and the swap is done. the oil pans were a little dif in size but could not swap oil pan and oil pickup because the 89 had journals cut into oil pan at rear for the crank to ride through and the 87 oil pan did not so the crank would have hit the oilpan. Although the dif in the two was very very slight, for some reason the oilpan would not clear the cross member. it was about 3 inches to far forward. so in my frustration. i pulled the motor back out and smashed the cross member in with a sledge hammer to create enough room for oil pan to clear. Pretty dumb idea, it worked though, motor went in and i have put about 2500 miles on it since. my problem now is, what problems might i experience later on down the road from beating the hollow space out if the cross member, and for some reason the engine sits with the front end up a bit to far for some reason causing slight exhaust bolt up problems and for some reason there is a thumping noise when i drive. it almost sounds like the drive shaft hitting the floor of the car?? but it is not consistant and varies little with speed. just a dull thud from underneath the car, any ideas as to what that could be?? i know it is difficult to answer without hearing the sound but im at a loss as to what the sounf=d could be and what could be making the motor sit at that angle because it is completly clear of the crossmember. any ideas?? sorry for the lack of words to describe problems.

Put the tools down and step AWAY from the vehicle.

Seriously? :nono: