1987 Toyota supra fixer upper

spawntaker

1jz lover
Nov 15, 2008
Conroe,Tx
wiseco7mgt;1564453 said:
Wow the engine bay sure needs some work, spend some time on it and you'll get running sweet I'm sure. Just from the pic's the radiator actually looks just like a ma61 radiator i have in the shed, i could be wrong but it looks to fit funny in the brackets. Also your fan shroud is missing so that won't help your cooling issues either, after fitting a new shroud if the temps persist check for Bhg.
Clamp between the accordion inlet hose and the Afm looks to be missing also, Any stray air leaks tend to make a large difference overall, so do these little (cheap) things first and it will make life much easier for you when you start tuning down the track.

wow you caught these little things with this cheap as camera pics. i will do these little things as im going along. but update i almost have the engine out of the 1987 supra and my 1990 supra is ready to have the engine dropped in. i should have pics later on today. also found out today that my intercooler has a little leak and the previous owner has been running a w58 transmission with a 7mgte. quick questions thought. running a w58 transmission on a 7mgte shouldnt hurt anything should it? and the pre 89 engine mounts should be able to fit on the post 90 sub-frame without any problems? i know for sure that the post 90 engine mounts cant fit the pre 89 sub-frame.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
The W58 is a fantastic transmission and if you are only after 300hp roughly then it will suit your goals well. I prefer the shifting on a W58 over the bigger R154 but the latter holds up better to a beating once your power goals increase.
Get another intercooler if yours has leaks in the unit itself as the costs of repair outweigh the worth of the unit, and the factory one isn't all that good.
No idea on the engine mounts, haven't tried swapping them before.

spawntaker

1jz lover
Nov 15, 2008
Conroe,Tx
true that on the 100+ weather. houston is worst then san antonio i think. got the engine swap in today and dumb ass me forgot to take pics of before and after. still have to plug in the wiring. ic and pipings, radiator and so on. but heres a couple pics of both supras but not from today. hopefully i should have more pics soon. thats if my dumbass self doesnt forget to take some. lol

p1566317_1.jpg

p1566317_2.jpg

and heres the 1990 targa i swap the engine into. but this is the before pics as you can see on the dates.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

dont you just love that minivan in the pic above. lol its a real pos.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

paint is still off but will have it painted soon enough. most likely white.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

ok this is way way way way off topic here but oh man do i love this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_aMnV1uaCY

lol. yeah i know seems a bit crazy.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Sorry to hear about the 87. Would have like to see another Blue Supra on the road. From looking at the pics, it looks like your 87 may be a NA-T or just had a 7MGTE swapped into an NA. It has an N/A Power steering resevoir, W58, Gauge cluster looks like its from an 89+. Just doesn't seem right. Check to see what diff it has.

I may want to get some more parts from you after you are done with your swap.

spawntaker

1jz lover
Nov 15, 2008
Conroe,Tx
SrBigbutt;1566534 said:
Sorry to hear about the 87. Would have like to see another Blue Supra on the road. From looking at the pics, it looks like your 87 may be a NA-T or just had a 7MGTE swapped into an NA. It has an N/A Power steering resevoir, W58, Gauge cluster looks like its from an 89+. Just doesn't seem right. Check to see what diff it has.

I may want to get some more parts from you after you are done with your swap.

yeah the 87 was a na 5 speed and my 1990 is also a na 5 speed. the previous owner dropped a 7mgte in the 87 and kept the w58 tranny with it and also converted it to a 89+. but it dose have a aftermarket clutch and flywheel. now with the 90 supra i bought it from a friend and he had a 1jz in it but i bought it without the engine like almost 2 years ago. but this guy i bought the 90 supra from is a cool guy that has a shop here in houston. he taught me alot about supras. but yeah when ever your ready just let me know and you can buy some parts from my 87 supra. if you have some extra 7mgte parts setting around that i might need i might trade. i will have the thread up soon for the parts for sale.

but update on my swap. the supra is almost ready to get on the streets. ill have pics up tomorrow. just need to install ic piping, clutch line, intake, connect a couple wires, and fasten the engine mounts down. and now after hearing about my swap my brothers friend wants me to drop a cobra GT500 engine in his V6 mustang "oh fun fun".

but a quick question thought. if i do manage to get the 7mgte to exceed 300 hp what would happen the the w58 transmission if i keep driving it like that?

spawntaker

1jz lover
Nov 15, 2008
Conroe,Tx
ok update time. got everything in but the dash. found out that the wiring is all messed up. im going thought and fixing it up myself. should have pics this weekend.

spawntaker

1jz lover
Nov 15, 2008
Conroe,Tx
got a few questions. first is what do the speed control relay and theft warning module do? second if i remove both of them can it effect anything? third is a tough question. the 87 was a running 7mgte and the 90 was a running 1jz. as you know i bought the 90 without the engine and the 87 with a running 7mgte. i transfered everything over from the 87 to the 90 all but the interior wiring harnesses and the body harness. got everything plugged in and everything connected but cant seem to get the supra started. it cranks but will not start. i was missing the starter wire that makes the supra start so i connected a wire from the starter to the black and white wire on the ignition harness. i read that was the starter wire the black and white one on the ignition harness. the thing is i dont think the engine is getting any fuel or spark from the spark plugs. i think its most likely a wiring problem just cant figure out what. would be cool is someone could come out here (from Houston of course) and i can pay maybe $50 to help but thats my last option. i want to try to figure this out on my own but might need some help. if anyone has any idea that would be cool.

Last edited:

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Check your fuses and relays. Test your fuel pump by jumping Fp and B on the diagnostic block. Check that your are getting fuel first. Make sure you are getting power to the pump. If you are getting fuel then check for spark. Could be that your CPS wires are messed up.

I could come by and take a look. You could check my Supra out and compare your wiring.

spawntaker

1jz lover
Nov 15, 2008
Conroe,Tx
wiseco7mgt;1569945 said:
Check your TSRM for all the EFI grounds and power feeds for starters.http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/default.aspx
Yes the speed control will affect your engine, you'll notice it may stall out at traffic lights as you decelerate if you disconnect it, i found this out after a swap into a 4Runner. Don't know about the alarm though, have never owned a supra with a factory alarm.

ok sweet ill get right on that.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

SrBigbutt;1569966 said:
Check your fuses and relays. Test your fuel pump by jumping Fp and B on the diagnostic block. Check that your are getting fuel first. Make sure you are getting power to the pump. If you are getting fuel then check for spark. Could be that your CPS wires are messed up.

I could come by and take a look. You could check my Supra out and compare your wiring.

pm sent

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

ask92;1569970 said:
Nice!Hopefully this thing will be running strong and problem less when its all done!

i hope so to. and love the "objects in mirror appear to be losing" and "If Nissan motorsports is Nismo..Wouldn't Honda motorsports be Homo?" quotes. lol

spawntaker

1jz lover
Nov 15, 2008
Conroe,Tx
ask92;1570230 said:
Wow very nice.

Plans after the completed swap???

plans are after i get this running to get a job and save up money to get a 1jz swapand drop it in.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

87mk111;1570301 said:
Good luck with th ewiring issues, those are the worst in my book.

yes the wiring issue is the worst. i might have to send it in to a shop to get it fixed. thats unless anyone in houston that is an expert in this can swing by and check it out. now that would save me lots of money and time. i know one guy here but i would have to pay to have it towed to him and then comes the big bucks to figure out the problem and fix it so thats my last option. my worries right now is getting it running by any way necessary then i can go on fixing it right. for now i need it running due to this is my daily driver.

spawntaker

1jz lover
Nov 15, 2008
Conroe,Tx
ordered a used uncut firewall harness (lol) after that will fix the harnesses and then the beast should run. after i get it running my plan is to get the vacuum system fixed then getting a new ic and piping.

spawntaker

1jz lover
Nov 15, 2008
Conroe,Tx
woot freakin hoot the beast is running. one problem thought. i had to connect the +B1 wire straight to the battery due to the fuse box was not letting power out (could be due to one of the grounds not grounding right). and all the fuses where good, tested them 100 times each. so that means i bypassed the fuse and relay in the front fuse box(15A EFI fuse and EFI main relay). im thinking of running the +B1 wire with a fuse to the battery but dont know yet. if anyone has a suggestion that would be cool. also noticed that it idles to high (about 1500 rpms) but that could be due to one of these three things. the vacuum system is all wrong (missing lines,no egr.....ext), intake system is leaking (right where the turbo and pipe meets), and the intercooler system is leaking (the intercooler itself and some of the pipings). and also it heats up due to the fan clutch is bad and the radiator is the wrong one. its from a 2nd gen supra so dont really know if that will have an effect on it heating up or not. and the engine has a bad burning smell coming from it, now that i have no idea what it could be. this whole supra might need a full rebuild from front to back but due to shortage of money that will have to wait. let me know what yall think.