1987 Toyota supra fixer upper

spawntaker

1jz lover
Nov 15, 2008
Conroe,Tx
I have a supra shell which i was going to do a 1jz swap in but didnt have the money or time to finish so i started looking for a fair running supra for a daily driver and came across this 1987 Toyota supra turbo 5 speed that has been converted to a 89+. i paid a little under $2000. the last owner said that it has a aftermarket act clutch kit and a light weight flywheel which i believe cause the clutch is pretty heavy. last owner also said that it has a fairly new turbo. it has a tein coilovers too. the supra runs strong but needs minor work. interior and exterior needs a bit work too. will fill in on the details as im going along with pics too.

spawntaker

1jz lover
Nov 15, 2008
Conroe,Tx
heres the pics of my find

p1558964_1.jpg

p1558964_2.jpg

p1558964_3.jpg

p1558964_4.jpg

p1558964_5.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

and heres a little toy for me. lol
p1558964_6.jpg

more pics to come as i fix her up.

Last edited:

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Congrats on the new Supra. You can swap some of your nice interior parts from your other Supra onto this one if you still have some left.

spawntaker

1jz lover
Nov 15, 2008
Conroe,Tx
1989SupraT;1559010 said:
Really nice find! And for that price was a steal! I hope you take good care of her, I'm still tearing mine down.

yes i will take very good care of her

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

SrBigbutt;1559014 said:
Congrats on the new Supra. You can swap some of your nice interior parts from your other Supra onto this one if you still have some left.

yup im working on that right now. its a lot of work but in time she will be a beauty

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

Athena;1559021 said:
Nice find ^_^
Noticed someone snagged the front emblem though.

yeah the emblem is missing but i got one that i need to paint then on it goes.

spawntaker

1jz lover
Nov 15, 2008
Conroe,Tx
as i was looking into the engine i noticed that the vacuum lines are way off. its also missing the canister for the vacuum lines and a couple lines so she was sucking raw air in(not good). and also there are alot of wiring that dont even belong(oh boy). and also the Oxygen Sensor for the turbo elbow was not tighten down right(eh). and i guess someone told me that this previous owner wasnt running a high enough amp for the speakers hes got in there. but hey that is what a fixer upper is for to find the problems and fix them. LOL.....

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
spawntaker;1559052 said:
as i was looking into the engine i noticed that the vacuum lines are way off. its also missing the canister for the vacuum lines and a couple lines so she was sucking raw air in(not good). and also there are alot of wiring that dont even belong and also the Oxygen Sensor for the turbo elbow was not tighten down right(eh). but hey that what a fixer upper is for to find the problems and fix them. LOL.....

Get a vacuum block, and re-run all the lines...the car is 20 old so it wouldn't hurt u know

spawntaker

1jz lover
Nov 15, 2008
Conroe,Tx
TweeT91109;1559054 said:
Get a vacuum block, and re-run all the lines...the car is 20 old so it wouldn't hurt u know

hmm never heard of a vacuum block. but yeah i need to go thought the whole vacuum and get it all right.

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

oh and forgot he is running it without a distributor cap also. my god this guy loved his engine lol...

spawntaker

1jz lover
Nov 15, 2008
Conroe,Tx
TweeT91109;1559073 said:
For sure, theres no problem with that... I was just throwing ideas at ya.

oh i definitely appreciate the help. any help i can get will be awsome. and if anybody has a vacuum canister that they dont need and will give it for free that will be awsome just pm me and we can go from there.

spawntaker

1jz lover
Nov 15, 2008
Conroe,Tx
ehh as i was driving today the engine started heating up on me. previous owner told me the fan clutch is bad. so if i change the fan clutch and thermostat that should fix the problem.

spawntaker

1jz lover
Nov 15, 2008
Conroe,Tx
ok new up date. found alot of rust in my 1987 supra so i have a new plan now. im going to move everything from my 1987 supra over to my 1990 supra shell. will post more pics later. damn alot of work ahead of me.

spawntaker

1jz lover
Nov 15, 2008
Conroe,Tx
ok i now need a new firewall harness. my old one was cut and i tryed to fix it up myself and now the light switch is the horn and the lights stay on all the time. lol oops. or i could just take the time to fix it but ill need a diagram to do this. if anyone has one its a 1990 non-turbo 5 speed firewall harness. and i also need a 7mgte engine harness diagram. looks like the previous owner had a lot of fun with the harness.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Wow the engine bay sure needs some work, spend some time on it and you'll get running sweet I'm sure. Just from the pic's the radiator actually looks just like a ma61 radiator i have in the shed, i could be wrong but it looks to fit funny in the brackets. Also your fan shroud is missing so that won't help your cooling issues either, after fitting a new shroud if the temps persist check for Bhg.
Clamp between the accordion inlet hose and the Afm looks to be missing also, Any stray air leaks tend to make a large difference overall, so do these little (cheap) things first and it will make life much easier for you when you start tuning down the track.