1987 Supra Turbo appraisal

gatorm

Jul 12, 2011
Centerville, Tn
I have a '87 Turbo that I've been through mechanically pretty thorough but it just isn't my cup of tea anymore. I think I have officially outgrown Supras this time. Anyway, just wondering what I might should ask for this car. Its very solid mechanically other than it will need struts at some point. The TEMS works but they are a little on the weak side. The body is in really good shape with a '90 front bumper on it but it does need paint. Interior is very good with little to no wear on the seats. Engine/trans are solid, car has 153k miles on it and yes the A/C even works properly. Just give me some ideas of what its worth.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Being an 87, and needing paint will keep it on the low side. Having the 90 bumper will help it. Have you done any other 89+ mods to it, like moldings, tails, spolier, mirrors, fog lights? How bout switches in the interior, as well as climate control? I'd say $3500-4000 at best, and only that high because of it's running condition.

gatorm

Jul 12, 2011
Centerville, Tn
All the interior switches are in good shape. It does have a 89+ climate control in it. The fogs are of course 89+ along with the front. The mouldings are all original to the car and are in pretty good shape. The interior is also from a '90 by the way. It does have a HKS exhaust and a megan downpipe that is less than a month old. Turbo has very little play in it and I have put a bunch of new hoses on the engine from Toyota along with a new power steering pressure hose, all coolant hoses, plugs, wires, ect. I am a certified aircraft mechanic so at least somewhat qualified to read the TSRM and do as it says LOL

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
2500-3000, its a soft market and is not in perfect condition. Have you bb it yet? Of course its worth what someone will pay for it, also your location will matter. I have seen some with a price of 5-6k with lots of mods and mhg.

Last edited:

gatorm

Jul 12, 2011
Centerville, Tn
Oh, I have done the head gasket but I went back with stock gasket. I did however install a set of ARP head studs but the lower engine looked great so i didnt want to machine the block surface for the MHG. Of course when that was done is when I did all the hoses, timing belt, ect. I could part with it for around $3000 but that would be about as low as I could stand. Probably have more than that in it. Oh yeah, its got a brand new set of Yokohama tires on it too.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
I bought my 118k mile 90 Turbo targa with perfect body and interior in great running shape for 2500. That was a great deal, so I would expect you'll get 2500-3000.
These cars aren't worth much.

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Cullman, Alabama, United States
That's an amazing deal Mr. Bojangles at least based on my area. Guys down here in Alabama want 4k for a good looking, good running N/A on occasion, hell some people even ask the insane price of 6+ thousand dollars. I'd never pay over 5k unless it had a 1jz or 2jz swap into it. For an 87, if the buyer cares that its not a true 89+ you may get 3k if it needs paint, if he doesn't mind that its not a true 89+ I'd say closer to 4k. But that is just based off of stalking Craigslist daily for Supras since I parted with my first one several months ago lol.

gatorm

Jul 12, 2011
Centerville, Tn
Yeah the 3k range seems about right for what I have. Its not perfect but it does run good, has fresh fluids front to back, mechanically solid, just needs struts in future and paint.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
$3500-4k.

I sold my 88 turbo targa with 125k, bad tires, bad shocks, w58 tranny (Did a manual swap), ripped up driver's seat, stock exhaust, but extremely clean body and clean interior other than the ripped driver's seat. See my sig for details if ya want. I got $4k just last year.