1987 non turbo 7mge Idles bad on "warm start" but not on first "cold" start

Hacknsmack

Jul 13, 2014
Tennessee
Okay so this is my first post here. I have a 1987 automatic non turbo supra.
So my car was running just fine, starts right up (except on hot days, usually took a few times to start. But when it did, it was fine). Sometimes it had a low idle after it started on hot days, but after like a minute or so it sorted itself out just fine.

So I recently just did my timing belt, water pump, replaced radiator with an aluminum duel core Mishimoto, new NGK spark plugs and wires (did everything about 4 months ago). Oh and yes my timing is set corect. Fuel pump and filter along with the distributor got replaced right when I purchased the car. I've done quite a bit to this car over the past year and a half since I bought it. Since the previous owner let it sit not running for about a year :3d_frown:
Now I'm having an idle issue after my car warms up and I shut it off. First "cold" start up is perfect, I can drive the car all day and it will be fine. But as soon as I shut it off, about 10 minutes later I start it, it idles rough. The first start up idle is 1100, after the second start up (usually when I leave the store or go for a drive), it goes down to 900, and when put in drive about 600, and feels like it's about to stall but doesn't. Almost like it's running on 5 cylinders, and sounds like crap when I step on the gas a bit. (like it's miss firing slightly)
I tried looking everywhere and can't find a solution. Only thing I can think of is maybe a heat soak problem, like maybe some electrical connections get affected by the heat and causes it to idle really low. Or some kind of vapor lock with the fuel. But if I let it sit for a few hours, it'll start right up and idles just fine like it would in the morning before I go to work.

And before you ask, I checked the codes and the only one that comes up is code 51. And I checked the resistance on the cold start injector and the cold start injector timing switch (the thing on top of the thermostat housing). On the cold start injector (when car is cold) 4.5 ohms, when it's hot 5.2ohms or higher. For the Cold start injector timing switch (when car is cold) 50-65ohms, when it's hot it doesn't give a reading... 0 ohms.
So if I can get some help with this that would be awesome, because it's my daily driver and if I can't fix it soon, I'm gonna have to go to a shop :/

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Sounds just like the issue I have with mine.

jetjock;2056186 said:
That's actually a good guess. Check rest pressure.

This is good advice. You are most likely loosing pressure somewhere. If the fuel pump is new you shouldn't be loosing pressure there assuming the check valve in it didn't go bad since it was replaced. I would look on the engine side of the fuel system. The regulator and injectors specifically. You could have a leaking injector that isn't allowing the system to hold a steady rest pressure or the valve on the regulator could not be closing when the car is off and allowing the pressure to drop. I'm fairly certain either the injectors or regulator is my issue, I just got too tired of messing with it after I replaced the fuel pump and it still happened. Once it cools down I may dig back into mine.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Hacknsmack;2056159 said:
First "cold" start up is perfect, I can drive the car all day and it will be fine. But as soon as I shut it off, about 10 minutes later I start it, it idles rough.

How long have you owned it?

Hacknsmack

Jul 13, 2014
Tennessee
jetjock;2056186 said:
That's actually a good guess. Check rest pressure.
Yeah I was trying to figure out where to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to my car. But I guess I need a banjo bolt fitting to check it, since I believe you're supposed to check it where the cold start injector fuel line is. Unless you might have another solution?

Hacknsmack

Jul 13, 2014
Tennessee
Silver MK3;2056219 said:
Sounds just like the issue I have with mine.

This is good advice. You are most likely loosing pressure somewhere. If the fuel pump is new you shouldn't be loosing pressure there assuming the check valve in it didn't go bad since it was replaced. I would look on the engine side of the fuel system. The regulator and injectors specifically. You could have a leaking injector that isn't allowing the system to hold a steady rest pressure or the valve on the regulator could not be closing when the car is off and allowing the pressure to drop. I'm fairly certain either the injectors or regulator is my issue, I just got too tired of messing with it after I replaced the fuel pump and it still happened. Once it cools down I may dig back into mine.
Yeah I was gonna check the fuel pressure and go from there, but I can't. I asked someone else on here to see if they have a better way of checking pressure. Besides using the banjo bolt fitting to hook up into the cold start injector fuel line. (which I can't find a fitting for it anywhere)

Hacknsmack

Jul 13, 2014
Tennessee
Sorry about the late replies everyone. I've been busy at work and haven't had time to check on here. But I replied back to you guys. And thanks for the advice on a few things for the fuel system. I will be checking the "rest" pressure in the lines as soon as I find a better way of hooking up a pressure gauge to the system. Instead of finding a banjo bolt fitting to hook into the cold start injector fuel line. (which that's apparently how to do it in the manual) But you need that special tool...

Hacknsmack

Jul 13, 2014
Tennessee
Also it's been a bit cooler here, which caused the problem to calm down a bit. Still does it during the day. But on the plus side, it's not really doing it at night. And if it does do it at night, I just drive like two miles then it sorts itself out and runs fine.
But I'll be messing with it tomorrow and keep you guys updated on how it goes

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Pop the plastic fuel damper cover off, pressurize the fuel system using the diag block, then disconnect and watch the damper screw for a few minutes. Not as accurate as a gage but at least it'll show if pressure is rapidly dropping.

Hacknsmack

Jul 13, 2014
Tennessee
Okay I finally have a full day off tomorrow!
First thing I'm gonna do is check the fuel damper. And I'll report what happened.
then I'll check my EGR vac modulator. Hopefully one of these two things are going to lead into the problem.
I would've done this a few days ago, but unfortunately there's been a short number of staff at work and I haven't had the time to actually spend under the hood.
So I'll report back with my diagnosis in the morning!

Hacknsmack

Jul 13, 2014
Tennessee
Okay so I checked the EGR vac modulator, and I followed the steps that it provided but each test came out exactly the same each time I tested it. So I believe it passed that test.
I also checked the fuel pressure damper screw when I pressurized the fuel lines.... the screw didn't move at all.
And I ordered all new vacuum hoses for it, just arrived today! Put a majority of them on today, but I still gotta put the ones on that are under the intake manifold. So this way I can get rid of any vacuum leaks I might have.
But as far as the idling, I still don't know what's going on with that :(

Hacknsmack

Jul 13, 2014
Tennessee
So maybe when I put my vacuum hoses on that are under my intake manifold, I'll just completely take off the manifold and take a look at my injectors. See if maybe they're clogged....not sure if that will do anything. Since it only runs rough after it sits for 15 minutes.
Or actually if you guys know of any material I can wrap my fuel lines in to keep the heat out, so that maybe it can keep those lines cooler and possibly prevent a vapor lock type of symptom...

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
That is an odd result. The dampener screw should move. Are you sure the line is pressurized (you can hear the fuel pump run?).

For the EGR tests you are saying that you did test 6(b) and engine ran rough? Also, for EGR vac mod you plugged ports P and R and blew into Q with air passing to filter?

Hacknsmack

Jul 13, 2014
Tennessee
Yeah that's very odd. And yes, I heard the fuel pump run, but I sat there and nothing happened....Would that indicate a fuel problem then? Maybe a stuck open injector or something like that?
And on the EGR test 6(b) the engine didn't bog down or stall at all. It just kept running. I also just did the whole test again like 30 minutes ago, and same results as the first time.
Also last night after work I let my car warm up, then I drove it home. On my way home the car ran fine, but when I got to a stop light, it started running rough for no reason....But I never shut my car off at all for any of those symptoms to act up like they normally would, so I think this problem is getting worse. After I got home I checked the codes. This time not only was 51 present (which is the code that usually shows up) but I also had code 22 come up. Which is the ECU coolant temp sensor... So today I ran to the parts store to pick up a new sensor. Put it in, and still runs rough. But code 22 is gone.
So do you think I should try replacing my fuel pressure regulator and clean my fuel injectors. Just to see if that solves any problems? Or what do you think I should try?