1500 RPM studder!

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
::::EDIT:::
I just realized that this is in the wrong spot, mods plz move to 7mgte technical plz!

Ok guys I'm having an annoying studder at 1500 RPM's. My wideband goes lean, and the car shakes with throttle if I'm keeping her around 1500 rpms.

Mods:
2jzgeT w/ 7m Electronics.
2mm headgasket
SAFC
AFPR
Lex afm
RC Hi Imp injectors with resistor box bypassed
Single turbo kit.

I have a high idle (bov is leaking a bit, doesn't leak as much, but still leaks) around 1000-1300 but usually 1000 after warm up. My tps reading on my safc bounces around .01-.06 i can't adjust the TPS anymore and I've tried two different TPS, and verified the wiring.

The car runs pretty good like I said, it's got a bit of a miss, but that's from the coil packs (original one from 88!) I have a speed sensor code and a IGF code (assuming it's the coils, that and the coils are waaaay out of spec.)

if i'm driving and I try to keep pace at 1500 rpms (say, in a neighborhood) she'll shake and sputter, and sometimes it feels like she'll cut fuel all together (like if I'm at 2-5% throttle), and it's annoying the heck out of me. If I'm at 1400 rpms, or 1600 rpms, she won't do it, just at 1500 rpms. I adjusted the SAFC a bit, and it didn't seem like it got better.

I have noticed, that if the car is FULLY warmed up, she won't do it as often.

I love the car, but working out the kinks are killing me! I also have a slight miss it seems, but I'm still saying it's the coils, and I don't know anyone local I can swap with, but I'm waiting for a good deal for a set of IS coils.

Last edited:

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
Ok I have new IS coils on the way, hopefully this will help me troubleshoot, or to start troubleshooting.

88supraTT

Oct 2, 2005
around the bend
i had that problem also with some others, check the basics make sure plugs are good,check for vac leaks etc. make sure knock sensor wires are still good and do you have any codes? I would suggest saving for a standalone unit if possible, i got mine running on 7m electronics(felt that it was to old of a wire harness et.) and never felt that it was running "great" but it did get by.

BTW if you need more control i have a HKS VPC just shoot me an offer if you want to try it.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Thread moved. I also edited your first post so people wouldn't miss that you're using 7M electronics. :)

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
so the bov leaks, and why cant it be fixed? That is pirate air. How did you set timing with a high idle? IIRC jdub has posted it can not be done correctly...

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
Thanks Shaeff!

I had timing set a long time ago, this is a new issue that I've been having. Ok so I checked codes this morning to see what I have;

14 (igf as I figured cause the coils are pretty much shot)

24 (IAT)

41 (TPS wtf? I just replaced this cause the plug cracked, I guess I'll have to check it again.)

42(speed sensor, yeah this hasn't ever worked.)

EDIT: I reset the ecu, and checked codes, no codes as of yet, and I haven't checked vF yet either. I'm going to let it warm up, and take her around the block to see what's up. I'm not getting a code 51, which I thought was also a partial cause of bad tps sensor.

I'm pretty sure code 14 and 42, and 43 will reappear, as they have always been there (even when I first got the car.)

Also a tidbit of information, I had got the car not running, and I bought a new (jdm) harness, and did the 2jzgeT swap. The car was running great with the exception of FC, and since I've done the 550's and Lex AFM is slowly I've been having issues.

43(stater signal, same deal, never worked on the car since I've owned it.)

My biggest worry is the IAT code, this is a new code, that I wasn't aware of. It's built into the KMV sensor right? And the TPS code, I've had it set before, replaced and now this code came back up, that and I can't get the TPS signal below .2 and it bounces around to .5

ah frustrating.

Last edited:

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Fix your vacuum leak. You know(or are assuming) that the bov is leaking. It could be the root to your problem. Check that the tps connector is plugged all the way in, and that all of the wires are set in the harness connector correctly. Also, check the insulation on the individual wires at both the tps and afm. Make sure that it isn't cracked or missing, causing two exposed wires to touch each other in the twist.

Not sure, but I recall reading here about a rewire for the ground on the igniter. Possible this could help with the 14?

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
Yeah the bov is for sure leaking, from the flange, so once I start doing my IS coils and fixing some new problems that I have now (ugh wtf), then I'm going to physically weld the bov to the pipe.

On the ignitor rewire, I've already done that.

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
my 7m-gte was acting similar, first and formost, fix the leak, that causes ALOT of probs. and you mentioned the tps, im assuming you set it correctly, so maybe it got knocked out of adjustment? mine did that after i replaced it and was out of adjustment somehow, try resetting that. worked on mine! same rpm also.