130A Alternator ?

BTNH-LC

Chambered Edge Firearms
May 22, 2011
Las Cruces, NM
See that was what I was wondering about, I saw all the cheap 130a alternators but I was wary about the huge price difference. I kinda figured that either they weren't going to be up to spec or wouldn't last. And thanks for the link to the taurus fan wiring kit.

noel

Uchiha Member
May 5, 2008
Miami, Florida, United States
jetjock;1732157 said:
^ You're gonna need it to power that 80 amp fan relay :)

lol big mistake that was...i switched it back to a 40 amp relay so far so good ...i still need to know how many amps the stock aux. fans run.. The jackrabbit that sold me my supra gave it to me with no fans sensors ,cut the wires from the harness...so i have to rig up my own setup ... Back to topic I rather buy an alternator from Driftmotion than some random seller on ebay

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
It's very difficult if not impossible to match the stock fan. It still perplexes me why people switch away from the stock mechanical fan.

OP: Why not swap back to the original fan set-up? Keeps it plenty cool and the mishimoto rad fits the stock fan set-up perfectly. At least mine does. :dunno:

BTNH-LC

Chambered Edge Firearms
May 22, 2011
Las Cruces, NM
The reason I don't is I wanted a cleaner look and I hate the drag it puts on my car. Plus the electric fans seem to cool better on other cars. Just need to get that Alternator

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I love the complete lack of any qualifying data on those alternators. 130A/160A at what voltage and rpm? Do they provide a performance chart? Hmmm, why not?. And does anyone worry about the fact that with potentially double the stock current (if it were actually true) the wiring/fusible link might need to be re-engineered!

You might want to also educate yourself on alternator efficiency, and what that does to your engine "drag" when your are dumping 800W into running those fans.

Make sure you have something like this for both stock and the new whiz bang alternator before you plunk down your cash.
delcoremy_34SI-14V_pc_sm.jpg

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
I melted the stock wiring and blew the fusible link. I went to a 8 ga wire from the fuse box to the battery and also ran a separate wire from the alternator straight to the battery. Have not had any problems since.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
BTNH-LC;1733403 said:
The reason I don't is I wanted a cleaner look and I hate the drag it puts on my car. Plus the electric fans seem to cool better on other cars. Just need to get that Alternator

You know your only losing maybe 2hp max with the stock fan. That and you will never over heat with a good cooling system and motor.

Seems more worth it to keep it then try to gain 2hp that you will never feel, drag down your electrical system over load the alt and possibly catch the whole car on fire from melting wires.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
At least I know I am not the only person running a stock radiator, shroud, fan clutch, and alternator and never have an issue with A/C or charging, even when it is 100 degrees.

TrqMnstr

HKS Whore!!!
Oct 31, 2005
Los Angeles, California, United States
You can never really trust aftermarket fans. Always seem to end up failing anyways. If you "have to" do electric fans, use the taurus fans at least you know some kind of engineering went into it. Shit, I had AFFCO fans fail on my 510. AFFCO > Shittymoto. If you don't want to deal with future headaches stick with the mechanical set up.

BTNH-LC

Chambered Edge Firearms
May 22, 2011
Las Cruces, NM
Not really looking for the hp. More of I hate the feeling of the fan clutch engaging, and where I live, it's always engaged. Anyway, I can't go back to stock because I bought the car without the stock shroud and I bought the electric fans and installed them. I mean I have both fans running off separate relays and when I install the new alternator I'm gonna go to a thicker gauge fusible link and thicker gauge power cables. If this doesn't work then I guess the alternator always helps for running all the other aftermarket electronics.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
BTNH-LC;1734437 said:
Not really looking for the hp. More of I hate the feeling of the fan clutch engaging, and where I live, it's always engaged. Anyway, I can't go back to stock because I bought the car without the stock shroud and I bought the electric fans and installed them. I mean I have both fans running off separate relays and when I install the new alternator I'm gonna go to a thicker gauge fusible link and thicker gauge power cables. If this doesn't work then I guess the alternator always helps for running all the other aftermarket electronics.

You can feel the fan clutch engaging? I've owned 3 mk3 Supras and never once have I felt the fan engage.

At the end of the day, you're playing a risky game with aftermarket e-fans on a car designed to pull more air than most any e-fan can pull. You may be able to find a fan setup that looks a little cleaner, only requires an alternator and associated wiring for 1.5x the stock current and pulls JUST enough air to keep the car from overheating, but you still wont have matched the stock set-up for reliability and performance.

Maybe I've just had the engineering mindset ground into my head from years of school and a couple years of work, but this is always true: FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION.

noel

Uchiha Member
May 5, 2008
Miami, Florida, United States
+1 on stock setup...I live in florida always HOT!! I have the stock fan clutch with the oem fan shroud..the only things I modify was the thermosat (180) heat wrap the downpipe/exhaust manifold and Samco silicone cooling hoses, I dont even have a condensor fan for my a/c and I haven't overheated yet ....e-fans are just for looks but when it comes to functionality stock setup wins

P.S i run my radiator aux fans on a switch....thanx to previous owner