1300 Kg Track SUPRA project

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
jajajaja yes! i know what you say.... another owner of a Supra whish started a track Supra years ago had a bad influence in mine !!

thanks!

I know how that goes, I blame my buddies Andrew and Clint for getting me into these cars in the first place. My project is a fine line between street car and track car, so it is a LOT heavier than yours, but it makes a great road trip car to get to far away tracks, so it works out. It's difficult though, with a dual purpose car. Track only, sacrifices of comfort are easy to make as it will make the car faster... you understand I'm sure.

What am I looking at in the passenger side foot well? Looks like a hydraulic reservoir of some sort. Remote brake booster?

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
I know how that goes, I blame my buddies Andrew and Clint for getting me into these cars in the first place. My project is a fine line between street car and track car, so it is a LOT heavier than yours, but it makes a great road trip car to get to far away tracks, so it works out. It's difficult though, with a dual purpose car. Track only, sacrifices of comfort are easy to make as it will make the car faster... you understand I'm sure.

What am I looking at in the passenger side foot well? Looks like a hydraulic reservoir of some sort. Remote brake booster?

yes i know exactly what you want to do, because that is what i was doing in the begining, all day car but prepared for track.
for that prupouse the best suspension is the TEIN flex with EDFC with 18kg front 9 or 10 kg rear springs.
the problem is allways you will want more.... hahahaha
if i do it again i will use a seq gearbox ofcourse but i will use the Quaife gearbox but the Helical one, lot less noisy.
the 2jz is heavier than the 7m, but with the 7m dont forget to use a special pan or dry sump.

the pump on the passenger foot well is the electric steering pump but maybe it will be moved to the back
it dotn have brake booster.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Running a dry sump 1jz here actually... only one in the world that I'm aware of, because most people who dry sump Supras are smart enough to do it with a 2j haha.

I'd consider a sequential, or a twin clutch, but deep down I really like manually shifting. It's a lot more involving.

Electric power steering pump, very interesting. So, the pump is driven by an electric motor, but you still have hydraulic steering? Good solution...

Personally I'm trying to get as much weight off the nose as I can, and relocate it to the area behind the front seats. Low and centralized for good weight distribution. I've gone so far as to increase the weight in the back by a bit, just to shift that balance to the rear.

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
what did it come in at?

1170 kg with 20 ltr fuel, street tyres ,extinguiser and some other stuff what isnt fitted before , like the windscreen washer bottle and the exhaust wrapped.
the driver or copilot dosnt make any difference on the weight balance now is 52 front 48 rear. soon i will check with full tank,
ohhh!! i just remember that the flat floor is not fitted! that will be another 15 kg more or less. puff where to remove 15 kg? because i like the flat floor....

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
i been test driving the Supra on a mountain road , firts atemp was to test the coolant system but in the end i tested the handling aswell.
the coolant system works well but i need to tell that the outside temp was arround 12 º but i been driving on a slow trafic so with a minimal air flow due a slow speed and close to other cars the temp allways was under 80º with a 88º thermostat so .... good .

handling . difficult to say if is good or bad, but i can tell that it turns so fast really fast , to soon to say if it oversteer or if it turns like a hell! only i can say is .... NICE!!

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
39a142.jpg

8c476a.jpg

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Nice underbody!

That front strut brace back to the firewall has what looks like a production sticker on it with PN# and Toyota something..something cant read it.
Looks to be in German.
Was that an aftermarket part that was available?

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
thanks!

the strut tower bar is a customized German bar for MK3.
dont remember well the brand.

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
first test at the track report:
the engine is...WOW!
the chassis is...WOW!
the.... WOW!!
the first impressions was very good, really good!.
i will need to check the rear diff again beacuse y runs smooth at low and medium speed but a little noisy at speeds over 200 Kmh.

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
Piratetip could be the vibration i feel at high speed the driveshaft critical speed problem??
my driveshaft turn mutch more revs than most because my rear diff ratio is 5.29 .

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Yes, you could be hitting the 1st or 2nd harmonic.
Have you used the calculator to check this?

Also what are your driveshaft dimensions?
1 piece / 2 piece ?
Aluminum? Steel?
Diameter? Length?

Last edited:

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
Yes, you could be hitting the 1st or 2nd harmonic.
Have you used the calculator to check this?

Also what are your driveshaft dimensions?
1 piece / 2 piece ?
Aluminum? Steel?
Diameter? Length?

40" long aluminium one piece QUARTER MASTER drivedshaft and i think it is 3.50" diameter but dont know the wall.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Can you ask the manufacturer what the wall thickness is they used?
Also the grade of Aluminum?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Still absolutely loving this, under 1200kg must feel amazing in this chassis.

May I ask how you attached the flat floor? I have been scratching my head for a long time trying to figure out how to do that to my car. I think the exhaust on a typical Supra would prevent a perfectly flat floor...