12v at both terminals on #6

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
So instead of having fun on my day off I am trying to figure out why there is 12v at both pins for the #6 fuel injector. Any suggestions before I start disassembling to get access to the harness would be appreciated.

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
You are right, I just checked #2 and with #6 connected and I get 12v at both pins. With #6 disconnected I only get 12v on one pin same senerio when measuring #6 connector.
The #6 injector is not functioning, I veryfied this using a stethescope. I checked ohm reading and it is as per TSM. I plugged in another injector while the engine was running and it didn't cycle either.
This situation happened after I finished replacing the injectors due to a stumble and high HC reading at idle. The #6 injector was wetter and cleaner than the other five.
I also veryfied that #2 is not cycling either.
I then cheked the resistor and have 12v at each terminal. My next move I guess is to check the ECU?

Last edited:

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
So are the injectors getting a ground signal? How about at the computer?

2 and 6 share a common signal wire. So its got to be a wire, connection or the computer. (i have never heard of a bad 7m computer)

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
Just replaced the ECU with a spare that I had with no difference. If one injector fails will it have an adverse affect on it's partner? I checked the resistor as per TSM for voltage and as per All Data Pro for ohms. It all checks out. I hate to do it but I will pull it apart again to double check my work and to inspect the harness.
Ho;ing for other suggestions.

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
That is my next step because if I have power to the injectors and everything else checks out the only thing left is the ecu signal grounding/completing the circuit. If you have any tips on doing this I would appreciate it. I was going to use an analog meter to back probe the connectors to check dwell. After that I was going to do some dis assembly to gain access to the harness and physically check the common ground for the two injectors.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
You could use a test light. With the clamp connected to constant power, probe the ground wire, with the engine running. If it flashes, the circuit is good. If no flashy, test the ground wire at the computer.

That should narrow it down.

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
I finished chasing circuits and signals with no fault found. The only element left was the injectors that I had swapped. I replaced #2 and #6 and the thing runs perfectly. I am curious if one faulty injector would affect the partner injector in such a way that it would cause them both to not function and I don't understand why the ohm readings were within specs but the inj didn't work. Oh well at least it is running again and it passed the emissions test cleaner than it has ever before.