$100 82 L type gets 7mgte swap, paint, P type conversion, suspension, ect ect

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
expenses log... Might end up being a little depressing, but if theres anyone else planning a 7M swap, it would be good to know what youre lookin at for the road ahead-

ENGINE
Complete 88' 7MGTE and R154 trans- Came with all accessories, ECU, ARP head studs still in box, Oil cooler, Turbo, intercooler and piping, Venom 680 injectors
$1000
7MGTE Gasket Kit
$60
Machine Work- Crank turned 30/10, recondition rods, resurface head/block, 3-angle valve job, install aux shaft bearings, order rod/main bearings, resurface flywheel
$600
NPR Pistons and Rings
$100
HKS Headgasket
$120
Timing belt/tensioner
$34
CPS sensor
$50
Plug wires
$27
85 Oil Pan
$50
Crank Scraper
$80
oil filter relocation kit
$50
oil filter sandwhich adapter
$30
2 qt accusump
donated thanks dad

Total- $2101

THE CHASSIS
EXTERIOR
Budget Rustoleum Paint Job, Thinner, Sandpaper, ect-
$100
Wheel Flares
$100
84-85 Front bumper
$150
Sun Visors and Front turn signal
$47
Tow Car to shop
$50
Fender Molding
$15
Windshield
$50
Total- $512

INTERIOR
MSD 8920
$50
electric oil pressure gauge
$50
pillar gauge pod
$15
Dash pad
$100
Newer digi dash with 120 mph speedo
$74
Total- $289

DRIVETRAIN
Full Bushing Kit
$190
S3 Short Shifter
$275
Poly Rack Bushings
$80
W58 Clutch kit (thanks wes)
$75
Total- $620

FUEL
Walboro external fuel pump
$100
Stock Injectors
$60
Full Injector service (clean, flow test, ect)
$120
Sold venom 680s -$150
Total- $120

COOLING
Thermostat Housing
$20
Fuel Filter/Thermostat
$20
89 7MGTE Radiator
$50
electric fan
donated thanks dad
Intercooler hard piping kit, 2.25"
$75
Total- $165

EXHAUST
3 in electronic exhaust cutout
$150
3" to dual 2.5" muffler
$30
Stainless O2 Housing
$83
3" stainless downpipe used
$75
Total- $338

GRAND TOTAL- $4145
.........To be continued, More to come Im sure... I have barely TOUCHED the suspension, and interior is still a horror movie

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Nice.
Don't feel bad- you have a running, painted car.
I've spent more than that already on suspension and engine parts alone, and it doesn't run, isn't painted yet, and still needs the interior done.

PS- Do you have a closeup pic of your turbo elbow installed?

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
supraguy@aol;1902808 said:
Don't feel bad- you have a running, painted car.
I've spent more than that already on suspension and engine parts alone, and it doesn't run, isn't painted yet, and still needs the interior done.
Thanks that helps... Its nuts how much it really takes to have a nice car your way isnt it? I dont even wanna think what it would take if I wasnt doing this shit myself and instead $65/hr shop rate.
supraguy@aol;1902808 said:
Do you have a closeup pic of your turbo elbow installed?
No I cant say that I do... Its 2 pieces of 3" mendrel pipe, and it had to be the tight radius bends, and then all the bungs from the stock one. If I could do it again Id use a PS resivor from a NA car so I wouldnt have such a tight space to work with
scottiedawg66;1902867 said:
Sweet! Any idea what it weighs with the 7m?
Not yet no... but its definitely on my mind... I DO KNOW however that my hood is still pretty stiff and solid when its latched, so shouldnt need pins. Leaving all the outside ribbing its still doing its job

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
Got a ton done today. Wired up a cooling fan with a relay and lighted switch
hooked up a boost gauge to match the oil pressure. Theyre white daytime
p1917341_1.jpg

Blue nightime
p1917341_2.jpg

Wired up my fuel pump the right way, to the FC signal so its on with CPS signal. Timed it at 10*
Put my interior back together, man I forgot how haggered it is.
.....and the best part
p1917341_3.jpg

I drove it! First time in 3 1/2 years I trolled her around. Man... it sounds totally mean, exhaust open or closed. The dsm bov pops off nice, but its recirc so still pretty quiet. I had some crap gas in the tank and I think it clogged the fuel filter even though I drained the tank. If I stay on it a little while it started sputtering. But rings are seated under some boost non the less.

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
Silver MK3;1917345 said:
Nice project. Its cool to see someone taking care of one of these instead of letting it rot away.
Thanks man... It was definitely on its way to worse things...
So I Pulled the tank. I said YOWZA
p1917594_1.jpg

The inside of the tank didnt look much better. I scrubbed/pressure washed everything
p1917594_2.jpg

The inline fuel pump had a pre filter and it already had crap in it so I flushed it out the best I could, and put in an inline filter just before the pump. Now instead of with a sock, Ill actually be getting any of the crap picked up OUT of the tank :)

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
So some updates- car pissed me off and was for sale as a running/driving but non boosting project, no serious bites. The MAF was bad this whole time, it was bad when I first started it and it threw an IAT code, and after cleaning the maf (which I shouldnt have done but whatev lol) made the code go away but performance went downhill fast until it could practically only idle. Added a GM MAFT, put a GM MAF in draw thru, felt sweet sweet boost for the first time (which happened to be a rainy day) the thing was awesome spins the tires on a roll on with the throttle in 4th gear @ a measly 5psi, then the turbo started making terrible noise and puffin mad smoke after boost. I rebuilt the turbo, and did all kinds of -10 AN goodies! Car has an Accusump system, and all the remote filter lines are in AN now (rubber/barb lines are shit!) Things are lookin up for this car, the exhaust cutout is freaking bomb and the car sounds mean as hell, and with the turbo rebuild it now does 8psi instead of 5.
I actually squared up with an Aston Martin DBS, but due partly to being on the phone, and trying to run it out in 2nd the snob pulled away on me, the car breaks up after 4k. I did end up at a light with him (off the phone) and launched it but he wouldnt give me a second go I guess I wasnt worth it so he let me pull away lol. Ill add pics later and probably a vid, Im starting to see what its like to cruise with the sunroof open and a loud spoolin turbo and its a beautiful thing! Startin to see why I built this thing now.
Turbo inlet before rebuild

After

Oil filter

Accusump

After some mods

Okie doke, found the one last issue that was holding this thing back, the fuel pump had a pre filter and it was clogged by some last rusty junk left in the tank. I thought the fuel pump was always as loud as it was but it quieted right down once it was replaced and flowing right. This thing is quite the animal! Hazed the tires thru 2nd on a roll on, and damn does it sound awesome with the exhaust dump open! I did a fuel pump rewire with 10AWG and relay, Got some new tires on the rear, new pads and rotors also. Next step is a wideband and manual boost controller!

Celicasupra1983

Jan 8, 2013
Edmonton
well its cool to see that you still have this thing man! and the fact that you got it running good is awesome! ive seen some pretty stout mk2s with 7ms they were really good in the autox and they dont do too shabby in the 1/4 either. wish that my mk2 didnt have rear end issues....

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
Celicasupra1983;1965635 said:
well its cool to see that you still have this thing man! and the fact that you got it running good is awesome! ive seen some pretty stout mk2s with 7ms they were really good in the autox and they dont do too shabby in the 1/4 either. wish that my mk2 didnt have rear end issues....
Thanks man! Its been a long and trying road, but its a lot of fun now that everythings working together!

So I made it to the drags right before they closed for the season. Still on stock 7 psi boost, no tuning (wideband wasnt working that POS) and like most mk2's... no traction lol.

Impressed a lot of people, including me since i didnt even bring a helmet cause I didnt think I'd need it until I turned the boost up! So since then Ive been daily driving the supra off and on... the wideband started working, and after tuning and leaning the thing out the turbo started to hit harder, and its slipping the very fresh kevlar clutch. I really didnt wanna spend a lot on another clutch kit for the W58, since I have an R154 sitting in the shop, So Ive got a 6 puck disk on the way that Ill just use with this stage 1 pressure plate. Should be plenty for the W58. Ill also look at the rear main and try and fix some oil leaks. Ive got my first drift comp coming up Feb 16 so Im scrambling to get it ready. Theyre actually drifting in the staging lanes of the drag strip. Screw it right?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=735874689757983

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
Still going on this thing. Gettin better and better. Tuned it out after the WBO2 started working, been getting some surprisingly awesome mileage! Better than the 2.0 DSM. I updated the steering wheel

Warning- the next pics are not for the faint of heart lol. Remember this is a $100 salvage title car

P-type conversion complete! The 235s were rubbing so this fixed it. A lot more is in store here shortly, Im scrambling to get this ready for the drift comp so stay tuned

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
Clutch job

rear main

Pulled the diff subframe to do poly bushings...realized the full poly kit doesnt come with diff subframe bushings. Did an old DSM mod and filled them with silicone

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
Silicone too soft, window poly better

So this weeks updates- suspension, suspension, and more SUSPENSION! Still not even done either. Working towards stiffness and steering angle. So first off was fixing a bent inner tie rod

Next was centering the steering rack to get equal angle both directions, and poly sway bar bushings up front
Adjustable brake prop valve, flush brake/clutch fluid

Poly bushings went in the rear control arms
and rear subframe

The control arms were wider with the new bushings so had to cut/bend/weld the tabs. That made it a real pain!!

So this was my weekend non stop. After fixing the rear main I havent had to add oil, which has been over a week! Thats new! Next will be valve cover gaskets for some small remaining oil leaks, a manual boost conroller, and retune

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
Some updates... Boost is at 12. I found/fixed some boost leaks. Got some 17s

Ran it at the track, did a tire burning 13.44@107

Did another drift comp, still need a ton of suspension mods!!!

Updates-the CT went bad, again.

Rebuilt a 3.70 LSD rear with the Weir clutch pack. Tired of the welded 4.10, doesn't work for the car have to 4-5 shift at the track

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
Okay, the planning stages have gone to the buying stage. I've decided on Doing an HX35 Build. Should be getting a lot of packages this week

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
Transmissions out, Flywheel gets resurfaced tomorrow, then 3.7 lsd rear will go in with new clutch

Last edited: