-10 in hg of vacuum after rebuild. Boost leak, or vacuum leak?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Not the wastegate and no, I'm not pissed, but trying to troubleshoot and repair something when you have NFI how it works is a recipe for frustration. Why put yourself through that? Better to just bite the bullet and pay somebody. Just sayin'...

Suprajay

MrGoFast
Apr 11, 2011
Okinawa, Japan
Well I appreciate your opinion but you will never learn if you don't figure it out yourself. Sorry but I'm not going to just give up and take it to someone. Then I didn't learn anything. So appreciate your version of help and advice but its not what I'm looking for.

Suprajay

MrGoFast
Apr 11, 2011
Okinawa, Japan
Ok so I took off that vacuum line and capped it at the intake. no change in vacuum. I think I'm just going to buy a fog machine and see what happens.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Most probable cause, esp given its just been rebuilt, is the timing is off.

You need to first validate that the timing pulley has not slipped. That is done with a chop stick in the sparkplug of cylinder 1 or equivalent. Then check the cam pulley alignment is correct using the marks on the pulleys (and the pulley dowel pin is in the right hole). Finally check the ignition timing (which has been done I gather).

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
3p is correct(in my opinion) of steering you towards the cam/crank timing.
The tsrm tells you to rotate the motor by hand through a minimum of two revolutions, after setting cam timing.
Then you recheck it. This is because it is possible for slack in the belt to allow a cam to jump a tooth, or the slack itself
To mask improper cam timing.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I bet you have one small vacuum line off someplace. I had done some work on my car and once done i was only showing 10" hg at idle. Thought i had checked everything. Then the other day going through spped trap and the the cruise control would not engage. Then on the way home the light bulb lit up. Maybe the low vacuum was from clutch master install not the other stuff done to engine. Bingo knocked off a vacuum hose going down to cruise accuator. Now 20" hg. Good luck. Just my 2 cents.