1.5jz swap questions/concerns

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
RacerXJ220;1686841 said:
Just personally, I'd take the 2J-GE bottom to 8K max when racing if you have a 74mm+ turbo. You're going to start making power on top, and when you shift you need to get back into it. It's a bitch to keep spooling unless you are flat shifting. Maybe two BOV's is too much.. Anyway, I would keep it below 7500 for longevity. The higher you spin, the less motor life you're going to end up with. Sounds like a good trade, depending on how you like replacing short blocks.

The 1JZ block is going to 8.5K for the rev cut on in case I need those extra RPMs. I do not plan on visiting even over 8K very often, but it's nice to know it's there.

I'll always think about the front main seal before going any higher.

I hear you, I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable spinning the 2jz of any flavor higher than 7200-7500 rpm's max without some major re-thinking of internals. As it sits right now, I found this morning my block has a lip from the stock pistons/life after pulling the crank and rods, so now I need to find out if it's hone or bore worthy.... I was NOT looking forward to buying new pistons, but I will if I have too I guess... lol Bidding on a set of used but good looking 2jzgte pistons right now on ebay, but they only come with the wrist pins. I'm still trying to figure out if I can even do used pistons and new bushings and locks.... My machinist (whom I highly respect due to his many personal racing/engine building achievements and knowledge of what he is doing) said it was not a good idea to go that route if I could help it... bleh...

I still haven't found an answer to whether or not the 7m 440's fit the 1jz ports on the head.. Wait... I have the head in the car and an injector here... BRB, test fit.

---------- Post added at 01:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

Damn... left the piece of the intake that has the bosses at the storage unit.... : ( I'm trying to use my good 440's with my 1.5jz, have a bunch of top-feed rails too.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
As long as your rail has the proper ends that go on the injector tip for the head, you are good.

My 7M style are working great w/ my 1J head.

blackkarma

MoN-sTaR
Jan 17, 2007
jacksonville, nc
just wanted to through this out there maybe alittle late but all ge blocks are not the same if you grabbed a vvti ge block it has the skinny rods which break you want a non-vvti block which comes with the same rods as the gte block.....just putting that out there

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
RacerXJ220;1686911 said:
As long as your rail has the proper ends that go on the injector tip for the head, you are good.

My 7M style are working great w/ my 1J head.

Which bosses are you using? After searching until 5am, I found that all of the Denso style injectors should work as long as the rail is right. All the head ports seem to be similar. I'll double check this when I get to my storage unit in a few. I know there are some kits that say they fit 11mm style top feed injectors, which includes the black plug 440's from the 7mgte IIRC.

blackkarma;1686922 said:
just wanted to through this out there maybe alittle late but all ge blocks are not the same if you grabbed a vvti ge block it has the skinny rods which break you want a non-vvti block which comes with the same rods as the gte block.....just putting that out there

I think this was covered, but in case it wasn't, good add. Indeed, the 2jzge VVTi rods are different and weaker (thinner). They'll still hold a decent 400-500whp on a good tune from what I understand though.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
I am using an ebay rail. The spacers between the rail and the head were not right, but it works.

There are two different sizes going around, IIRC.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Cool, I think I'll go that route if those pop-in injector bosses fit the 440's. I can make my own mounts for the rail, no big. It's the one for the 11mm top feeds right? Or the 14mm...? I've seen both styles.

Hope this also helps anyone else doing a 1.5jz.

afracer

Sep 1, 2007
Abilene, TX
$300 is a lot to spend for the few modifications SP does to their oil pumps when your stock one will work just fine. If you're really worried about blowing out the front main seal you can drill and tap 3 holes for a couple screws to hold it in yourself. I'm using a used oil pump on my fresh 1.5JZ and max my oil pressure gauge out over 100 psi cold running 0W-30. When warmed up I get about 25 at idle and 80+ at 3000rpm and up. Oil pumps on these engines aren't really an area for concern...

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
afracer;1693988 said:
$300 is a lot to spend for the few modifications SP does to their oil pumps when your stock one will work just fine. If you're really worried about blowing out the front main seal you can drill and tap 3 holes for a couple screws to hold it in yourself. I'm using a used oil pump on my fresh 1.5JZ and max my oil pressure gauge out over 100 psi cold running 0W-30. When warmed up I get about 25 at idle and 80+ at 3000rpm and up. Oil pumps on these engines aren't really an area for concern...

Sounds normal to me. Ill be using a good condition used one myself and can always order a new 96+ 2jzge (has the piece for crank sensor) from rock auto for about $100. Or a GTE one for the same price lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
afracer;1693988 said:

A stock oil pump will not work "just fine" in my application. This is why I bought an upgraded pump. Thanks for your consideration, though. My GE block would see higher pressures than the GTE block gets, due to no oil squirts under the pistons.

If I were a stock 2JZ block again, I would probably not need this pump. I would have used this pump on my built block but I had no need for a fully built 2J.

What size turbo are you running now?