1.5jz rev limit?

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Okay so I'm going to put my 1j pistons in an NA 2j block and retune more tq blah blah blah. My question is this. Why is the 2jz rev limit lower? Does it have more to do with the head or the larger mass flying around in the bottom end? I wanna rev this thing to 7600 just like my 2.5 is this safe? Maybe lighten the crank a bit? I'm hoping to hear someone's experience on this.

Thanks,

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Lower redline in the 3L is due to increased piston speed from the 86mm stroke as opposed to 71.5 in the 2.5L. But the redline isn't even that much lower.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
I think it has to do with the head, Springs & retainers not been strong enough, Anybody feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
1J stock springs can go to like, 8,0000+rpm and not float using aftermarket cams. ZaZZn, when he tested the cams revved it high. The head is fine. The 2J bottom ends I've seen stock pushed to 8,000 with no immediate issues. It all depends on the power band, and how much power you're making past X,XXX rpm with ________ cam. The only benefit of going that high would be to make use of a large cam profile with a large turbo(s) :)

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Jostar said:
I think it has to do with the head, Springs & retainers not been strong enough, Anybody feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
No, people rev stock 2JZs pretty high too.

It's all about the piston speed like Joe said. The 2JZ has a longer stroke, which puts greater acceleration forces on the pistons, thus the redline is lower to keep the piston speeds within a safe limit.

Both 1JZ and 2JZ bottom ends are pretty beefy, and can sustain higher then normal redlines. I'm sure 7600rpm on a 2JZ will be fine.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the great replies guys. I figured it was just because I'm flinging around more metal down there. I won't be making max power up there but drifting the car I'd like to be able to take it up to about 74-7500 Sometimes you need a little extra wheel speed at the top of a gear but you can't upshift cuz it will disrupt the car and look bad. And boucing off the rev limit just sounds tacky in a drift. I frequently have to take it to within 100 rpm of limit but I try to never hit it.

Of course I could just gear the car taller but that's no fun for me.

This is a great thread.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
garagefujimoto said:
1JZ stock is about 7200, ppl go 76-80 np
2JZ stock is about 6800, add same and 72-76

I think it'll be ok
Just get good oil and gas and keep the motor happy

I agree with this, I'm revving my 2JZGE-T to 7500 based on it.

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
aphxero said:
Care to elaborate? I thought they're the same part as the 2jzgte piston?

aaron?

Yeah thats what I thought, and if not, if someone says the 2JZ ones are stronger, i'm going to have a hard time with that one. They may be, though I've seen stock 1JZ blocks hold up 900+ rwhp with no problem. Mine being one of them for a buddy of mine. So with that being said, I say the 1JZ rods if used in a high horsepower application are fine. But he will have have to 2JZ rods due to the rod length in a 2JZ block.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Why are you wanting to use 1J pistons again?

Just use the stock 2J-GE pistons. All you need is a 2.5mm HG for higher boost applications. The HG is cheaper than a full set of pistons, which aren't needed unless the ones you have are damaged.

Stock internal 2J-GE's go past 700whp before rods start to bend, stock pistons hold up just fine.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
RacerXJ220 said:
Why are you wanting to use 1J pistons again?

Just use the stock 2J-GE pistons. All you need is a 2.5mm HG for higher boost applications. The HG is cheaper than a full set of pistons, which aren't needed unless the ones you have are damaged.

Stock internal 2J-GE's go past 700whp before rods start to bend, stock pistons hold up just fine.

Hmm that's cool. The 2j im getting has low compression on one cyl so I figured since I'd have to re ring it why not put in my 1j pistons? If the NA pistons will hang I guess I can reuse them. I'm only looking for about 450-500whp. Maybe 350-360 for drift.

I'd like the CR to end up about 9:1 which gasket is good for that?

Thanks again,