Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
foff.jpg
:p

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
wiseco7mgt;1778299 said:
No the towns vary in size, many are just small outback places that were originally built around farming and once resources are discovered in the area boom in size.This then causes problems with cashed up miners paying huge amounts in rent then driving out any non mining related familys from the area that can no longer afford to pay rent or buy a home.
One town for example (Roma) originally had houses for rent for under $100 per week and houses sold for $45,000 pre mining boom, now the cost for a run down 3 bedroom is around the $350,000 and rent is anywhere up to $850 per week last time i checked with real estate.
This sounds good for the town right? Wrong because the majority of the miners are working on a fly in fly out basis and spend there money back in the citys instead of the local community they are residing in. Many local shops are finding it hard to make a living because of the local population selling up and moving out to make a profit, cashing in on the housing market boom resulting in mining companies buying up these houses for sale and renting them out to there own workers.
What happens when the mine starts to run dry of resources? The mining giants move on to next project and leave a desolate town in it's wake.
They don't care it's all about the mighty dollar..
That sounds rough. I would hate to see one of those towns after the company has moved out! Just as you stated it's all about the dollar, I imagine the companies have similar philosophies about the way they deal with the environment and the towns they inhabit.

On a scale of 1-10 10 being the most difficult, were would you rate the difficulty of an American obtaining the proper work permits for mining in Australia?

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
TheNewRed;1778488 said:
That sounds rough. I would hate to see one of those towns after the company has moved out! Just as you stated it's all about the dollar, I imagine the companies have similar philosophies about the way they deal with the environment and the towns they inhabit.

On a scale of 1-10 10 being the most difficult, were would you rate the difficulty of an American obtaining the proper work permits for mining in Australia?
Sorry no idea how hard for a U.S citizen. I have family in the Mount Isa mine admin so for me it's a phone call.
You really are missing the point though, between the higher tax bracket you will be paying and the higher associated costs of living due to demand, your end profit will not be worth the hassle unless you were in it for the long haul.
Besides if the U.S economy picks up soon you may go to all the effort for nothing.
The only reason you would move here would be if you wanted a change in lifestyle and were planning on becoming a permanent resident.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
TheNewRed;1778062 said:
Wow, I never actually considered driving a truck, and in North Dakota of all places. I will do some research and let you guys know what I come up with. Why is driving a truck such an efficent way of making a living?

I also recall reading an article a while back, it stated that North Dakota has been least affected by this "recession", and that its the most prosperous state currently... correct me if I am wrong.

As fas as the land down under goes, apparently it's very difficult to get a work visa there... but who knows im still poking at it and emailing some folks.
As far as I know north dakota is the only state that has an annual budget that is actually in the black, but if you go down the ND work road be prepared for lots of hours, little sleep, shitty living conditions and nothing really around for entertainment.
Also the jobs pay well, but they have a high turnover rate do the taxing hours and the companies are fairly willing to let people go that don't show up to work and such.
The best paying trucking jobs in the williston area are actually driving tanker trucks full of water, as the water is used to pump down the well and purge out the oil...

I worked last month driving truck and made $5300 take home just driving for harvest, so the money is real and lots of it to be earned.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
funky_monkey58;1778554 said:
As far as I know north dakota is the only state that has an annual budget that is actually in the black, but if you go down the ND work road be prepared for lots of hours, little sleep, shitty living conditions and nothing really around for entertainment.
Also the jobs pay well, but they have a high turnover rate do the taxing hours and the companies are fairly willing to let people go that don't show up to work and such.
The best paying trucking jobs in the williston area are actually driving tanker trucks full of water, as the water is used to pump down the well and purge out the oil...

I worked last month driving truck and made $5300 take home just driving for harvest, so the money is real and lots of it to be earned.

Produced water trucking baby! I sold flowmeters used to monitor flow onto trucks to be taken away from the well and also from loading points to be taken up to the wells. The mining, drilling industries are still high in demand and have many, many ways to earn a good living.

gats

Rebuilding... Slowly!
Mar 3, 2009
Sydney, NSW
TheNewRed;1778488 said:

I couldn't give you a rating, but your chances are somewhat better if you fill the needs of our Skilled Occupation List.
If you have qualifications/work experience in these areas that we have shortfalls on then you should be OK...

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
The sound of moving to Austrailia to work would be a really cool thing to do. But another thing that you could look into would be underwater welding. Good money in the job! It dont take very long to get certified in welding. From what I have been told. And then just work on getting certified as a scuba diver. That is just a thought to throw out there. Or if you are after a quick sum to possibly help you get something started for yourself try getting on one of those deadliest catch adventures.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
wiseco7mgt;1778203 said:
Getting a job in the mines here is easy once you show some imitative and get some HR tickets to drive trucks. and as far as your $70,000 salary i think you'll find that's a bit low as most guys that I'm friends with in the mines make roughly $85,000 and after they get some experience rival companies make them insane offers to jump ship and then it ends up around the 100,000 to 125,000 according to how desperate they are for workers.
Sounds good doesn't it....
The downside, you will work in places of Australia that i can guarantee you will not like.
You will be taxed like you have never been taxed before.lol.
Your night on the town will be ruined by lots of drunk wanker miners that are horny as hell for some female company and will substitute sex for a fight depending on how much beer they've had to drink.
your job if you want to drive trucks will involve you sitting on your arse for 12 hours shifts doing nothing but driving forwards and backwards constantly day after day, week after week.Your IQ will definitely drop.lol
Phone service to many of the better paying remote mines can be at times non existent, so i hope you don't have a girlfriend or concerned parent.
I've spent many younger years growing up in a shitty remote town and any profit you make you will only spend anyway on alcohol trying to numb the boredom of it all.
good luck with hunting for that next pot of gold.
This pretty much said it all folks. I live in a boom/bust area, and just bought a house. Well, half of a house anyway, it's a duplex. I paid about 50k more than a house that is 1000sq/ft bigger, not attached to neighbors, and in a much better climate (see Vegas, Arizona, etc). Unfortunately, you can't easily find jobs there like you can in areas where resources are good. Truth be told though, the company you have to keep to work in the oilfields is what keeps me OUT. Can't speak from experience on the ND subject, but some of the people working the fields here are real winners.

Can't even type out how seething the sarcasm is in that last statement...

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
Wow! What a great turn out in this thread, thanks for all the input everyone!

wiseco7mgt;1778551 said:
You really are missing the point though, between the higher tax bracket you will be paying and the higher associated costs of living due to demand, your end profit will not be worth the hassle unless you were in it for the long haul.
Besides if the U.S economy picks up soon you may go to all the effort for nothing.
The only reason you would move here would be if you wanted a change in lifestyle and were planning on becoming a permanent resident.

Coupled with a work visa and taxes, im getting it. It would be an awesome journey though... maybe ill just take a long vacation in Aussieland!

IJ.;1778779 said:
None, I've been self employed since the late 1980's.

This may be a bit personal, but what specifically do you do Ian?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
TheNewRed;1778909 said:

Ian doesn't play well with others, so he spends most of his time playing with himself...

I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress...

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Pros:
- Being surrounded by one of the best accents on the planet.
- Climate.
- Kangaroos.
- Boomerangs.

Cons:
- Stupid government... worse than what I have now, anyway.
- Stupid road rules.
- Poison. Damn continent has the largest number of poisonous critters... in the world.
- Giant insects, i.e. spiders should not grow large enough to seriously threaten small dogs.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
GrimJack;1779091 said:
Pros:
- Being surrounded by one of the best accents on the planet.
- Climate.
- Kangaroos.
- Boomerangs.

Cons:
- Stupid government... worse than what I have now, anyway.
- Stupid road rules.
- Poison. Damn continent has the largest number of poisonous critters... in the world.
- Giant insects, i.e. spiders should not grow large enough to seriously threaten small dogs.
I wouldn't count roos as a pro from all I've read in Ian's threads... they're just funny looking suicidal Aussie deer from what I gather. :p

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
TheNewRed;1778909 said:
Wow! What a great turn out in this thread, thanks for all the input everyone!

Coupled with a work visa and taxes, im getting it. It would be an awesome journey though... maybe ill just take a long vacation in Aussieland!

I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you :evil2:
(not because it's a secret though just cos I don't play well with others as Mike has pointed out)