Who wants to move to Australia?

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
Well shit, I just read this article.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the--200-000-a-year-mine-worker-.html

My student loan debt has mounded, I'm only making $450 tops a week at my dead end mechanic job, I dont have any kids, I have great work ethic, I say WHY NOT go for a mining job!?!?!

The thought of going underground and risking my life to make a decent pay check honestly arouses me... I would feel much less guilty if were getting paid to work my ass off for a decent check then to continue going to school, and working behind a computer or in a shitty office for the rest of my life.

I would love to hear the opinions of our Australian members on mining career paths, and the current job market!

Last edited:

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
mk3_7m;1777760 said:
Sounds like the American dream has moved to Australia! :p
HA! Trust me, If irony were strawberry's, we(Americans) would all be sucking on a smoothie right now. Honestly my definition of the American dream; well it is more than just surviving or making a living, it's constantly improving, and moving into a positive direction... never sitting still, always wanting to do more, always taking risks, always striving to obtain what is believed to be unobtainable. I want to innovate & make a positive difference, I just can not afford to.

What are you thoughts on mining in Australia?

DreamerTheresa;1777774 said:
If their gun laws were friendlier, absolutely.
I do not like the thought of not harboring my cannons, but for any job 70k+... I'd be content with locking them bitches up until I get back!

Last edited:

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
Just a thought, If you can bare it, watch one variety hour of all the different U.S. news channels and tell me if you see one positive sign that my generation(currently 20-25) or future generations can put forth the work ethic needed to sustain this country any longer... dont worry I will wait, because the only thing we are being trained to do these days is to argue our way out of taking responsibility, instead of learning useful skills to pass on to our children.

I want my hard work to pay off damn it! I am hungry for money just as anyone else is in this world, but my outlook is different from most. I do not want the money to just sit around on my ass all day. I want to use money that I worked for to develop and test my own mechanical solutions. Now, I feel like if I stay here and keep doing the same thing I will become bitter and lose my creativity as my father has. Maybe moving away to a more productive job is the right thing to do.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
Maybe getting a new career or becoming your own boss is what you need to do, the oil fields in western north dakota are paying truckers more than 70k a year and you get to live in a really sweet man camp!

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
funky_monkey58;1777825 said:
Maybe getting a new career or becoming your own boss is what you need to do, the oil fields in western north dakota are paying truckers more than 70k a year

Changing career paths to achieve owning and operating my own company is my plan, and the mining industry in Australia seems like a road I would like to drive on.

funky_monkey58;1777825 said:
you get to live in a really sweet man camp!

Thumbs down!

Trucking around does sound kind of fun though.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
If you dont mind living wherever a company wants you to and working long physical labor hours doing something a little dangerous, there is a LOT of money to be made in this world. Both in the US and other places.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
TheNewRed;1777798 said:
Just a thought, If you can bare it, watch one variety hour of all the different U.S. news channels and tell me if you see one positive sign that my generation(currently 20-25) or future generations can put forth the work ethic needed to sustain this country any longer... dont worry I will wait, because the only thing we are being trained to do these days is to argue our way out of taking responsibility, instead of learning useful skills to pass on to our children.

I want my hard work to pay off damn it! I am hungry for money just as anyone else is in this world, but my outlook is different from most. I do not want the money to just sit around on my ass all day. I want to use money that I worked for to develop and test my own mechanical solutions. Now, I feel like if I stay here and keep doing the same thing I will become bitter and lose my creativity as my father has. Maybe moving away to a more productive job is the right thing to do.

I see the occasional glimmer of hope among the generation you speak of around here. There will always be those that work harder than others in every generation, just as you will always have useless sacks of crap in every generation. Usually those that fall under the second category go into politics...

In all honesty though, if you've got nothing holding you back, I'd second the recommendation to work in ND. Damn good money, but you'll spend your life (literally) working.

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
Wow, I never actually considered driving a truck, and in North Dakota of all places. I will do some research and let you guys know what I come up with. Why is driving a truck such an efficent way of making a living?

I also recall reading an article a while back, it stated that North Dakota has been least affected by this "recession", and that its the most prosperous state currently... correct me if I am wrong.

As fas as the land down under goes, apparently it's very difficult to get a work visa there... but who knows im still poking at it and emailing some folks.

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
te72;1777998 said:
I see the occasional glimmer of hope among the generation you speak of around here. There will always be those that work harder than others in every generation, just as you will always have useless sacks of crap in every generation. Usually those that fall under the second category go into politics...

Good point!

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
You're not going to walk into a mining job, even Australians can't do it. You need to know someone on the inside, these jobs are very highly sought after. Trust me, I know of several who have tried to get in, only to be offered bottom feeder work at $45k a year.
As for gun laws, we don't need guns, our society isn't full or paranoia and distrust of everyone around us.

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
Typhoon;1778166 said:
You're not going to walk into a mining job, even Australians can't do it. You need to know someone on the inside, these jobs are very highly sought after. Trust me, I know of several who have tried to get in, only to be offered bottom feeder work at $45k a year.
That is currently what I am gathering from my research. Not as yahoo portrays the career path in the article huh? I may have disclosed a narrow outlook on my potential future career path, but that's ok, it isnt narrow it's thick; pretty girthy in-fact... :naughty:

Typhoon;1778166 said:
As for gun laws, we don't need guns, our society isn't full or paranoia and distrust of everyone around us.
I know this is going to become an off-topic thread but...

I find this statement ironic, considering your continent started out penal...

I know it's a wiki link, but it's only for quick review :icon_bigg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Australia

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Getting a job in the mines here is easy once you show some imitative and get some HR tickets to drive trucks. and as far as your $70,000 salary i think you'll find that's a bit low as most guys that I'm friends with in the mines make roughly $85,000 and after they get some experience rival companies make them insane offers to jump ship and then it ends up around the 100,000 to 125,000 according to how desperate they are for workers.
Sounds good doesn't it....
The downside, you will work in places of Australia that i can guarantee you will not like.
You will be taxed like you have never been taxed before.lol.
Your night on the town will be ruined by lots of drunk wanker miners that are horny as hell for some female company and will substitute sex for a fight depending on how much beer they've had to drink.
your job if you want to drive trucks will involve you sitting on your arse for 12 hours shifts doing nothing but driving forwards and backwards constantly day after day, week after week.Your IQ will definitely drop.lol
Phone service to many of the better paying remote mines can be at times non existent, so i hope you don't have a girlfriend or concerned parent.
I've spent many younger years growing up in a shitty remote town and any profit you make you will only spend anyway on alcohol trying to numb the boredom of it all.
good luck with hunting for that next pot of gold.

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
wiseco7mgt;1778203 said:
Getting a job in the mines here is easy once you show some imitative and get some HR tickets to drive trucks. and as far as your $70,000 salary i think you'll find that's a bit low as most guys that I'm friends with in the mines make roughly $85,000 and after they get some experience rival companies make them insane offers to jump ship and then it ends up around the 100,000 to 125,000 according to how desperate they are for workers.
Sounds good doesn't it....
The downside, you will work in places of Australia that i can guarantee you will not like.
You will be taxed like you have never been taxed before.lol.
Your night on the town will be ruined by lots of drunk wanker miners that are horny as hell for some female company and will substitute sex for a fight depending on how much beer they've had to drink.
your job if you want to drive trucks will involve you sitting on your arse for 12 hours shifts doing nothing but driving forwards and backwards constantly day after day, week after week.Your IQ will definitely drop.lol
Phone service to many of the better paying remote mines can be at times non existent, so i hope you don't have a girlfriend or concerned parent.
I've spent many younger years growing up in a shitty remote town and any profit you make you will only spend anyway on alcohol trying to numb the boredom of it all.
good luck with hunting for that next pot of gold.

Hey, thanks for your input it's great to hear from someone with experience related to the field. Great advice, thanks again! The towns you live in are owned by the mining companies correct?

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
TheNewRed;1778294 said:
Hey, thanks for your input it's great to hear from someone with experience related to the field. Great advice, thanks again! The towns you live in are owned by the mining companies correct?
No the towns vary in size, many are just small outback places that were originally built around farming and once resources are discovered in the area boom in size.This then causes problems with cashed up miners paying huge amounts in rent then driving out any non mining related familys from the area that can no longer afford to pay rent or buy a home.
One town for example (Roma) originally had houses for rent for under $100 per week and houses sold for $45,000 pre mining boom, now the cost for a run down 3 bedroom is around the $350,000 and rent is anywhere up to $850 per week last time i checked with real estate.
This sounds good for the town right? Wrong because the majority of the miners are working on a fly in fly out basis and spend there money back in the citys instead of the local community they are residing in. Many local shops are finding it hard to make a living because of the local population selling up and moving out to make a profit, cashing in on the housing market boom resulting in mining companies buying up these houses for sale and renting them out to there own workers.
What happens when the mine starts to run dry of resources? The mining giants move on to next project and leave a desolate town in it's wake.
They don't care it's all about the mighty dollar..

Last edited:

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
TheNewRed;1778180 said:
I know this is going to become an off-topic thread but...

I find this statement ironic, considering your continent started out penal...

I know it's a wiki link, but it's only for quick review :icon_bigg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Australia

Let me be clear, I am not anti guns at all, I believe people should be free to own for sporting purposes, but in a modern society they have no place in normal circumstances.
Our country wasn't built on running out/resettling/killing outright numbers of native Indians or claiming two thirds of what was once Mexico as our own, so I guess we don't feel paranoid about our past and it coming back to haunt us. :)

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Typhoon;1778369 said:
Let me be clear, I am not anti guns at all, I believe people should be free to own for sporting purposes, but in a modern society they have no place in normal circumstances.

These people might disagree with you:

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...araoke-bar-brawl/story-e6frfku9-1226200307399

You can read this thread as to why I'd say that's you've made one of the most ignorant statements I've ever heard:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?86359-Why-the-gun-is-civilization.

Feel free to reply in that thread, not this one.

threaddirection.jpg

Folks, let's leave the politics out of this. If you want to talk about politics, we have a section for that. We've also got a forum dedicated to guns located here if you want to discuss them.

Get this thread back on topic or it's going to get locked.