When is the right time to move on from the mkiii?

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
It all comes down to how you feel about it. If you don't think you'll regret it go for it.

I personally wouldn't sell purple car ever.... or any of the cars I ever finish. I'd like to look at all the cars I've completed down the line and remember all the blood sweat and tears I put into them.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
I am in this same place. My Supra hasn't moved under its own power since I got back from SILV05. The car ran great - just needed a tuneup to pass DEQ. I pushed it out of the garage twice - to clear out space in the garage for the Superbowl parties (I love breaking the NFL rules about not showing the game on TVs bigger than 55" and no more than 4 loudspeakers in a single room).

I've got new rims sitting in boxes - along with several new parts to install.

Part of the problem is I can't even bring the Supra to Vegas any more due to having too much stuff to haul down.

I'd love to spend more time working on it again soon. Perhaps the changes being made to SILV will give me more free time.

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
everytime I leave the house I think about it because I drive it only on the weekends (I call it walking the dog) but when I come back from that walk I'm typically in love all over again after hitting second and slidin sideways for a while, it's so bloody impractical tho.

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
Once it's gone, you will be one of those guys that come up to other SUpra owners and say," I used to have one of those and I wish I still had it".

On the other hand, love your car, but don't fall in love with it. The right price won't be there when you REALLY want to sell it....

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
Selling it while everything is working okay? Thats the worst thing you can do.
To sell it while it runs like crap,or with body damage,that's another story.
If you get rid of it now,you'll regret it for the rest of your days.

dulobast25

Jul 14, 2005
San Diego
Reign_Maker;910143 said:
When is it time to walk away?

Hmmm... When you realize you have over $20,000 invested in a car that has only moved once in the past two years and that was to tow it from a storage unit to your new garage... And you dread goin into the garage because you know its sittin there and you cant move forward on it because you dont have the money or time to continue, but you hold on, hoping one day, but when will that day come, you dont know, so your friends are offering to help, and you want that car so bad, but damn it man, over two years, aaaagh!

Is that when you walk away? :D:D:D

exactly, i'm there with my 88 4runner, my 91 mk3 and my 81 mk1

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
Haha, you know what so hilarious about this story...I had a similar situation. I was at an auto shop that my friend's father works at so I can get my ball joints check. My car is a '90 N/A.

Long story short, an guy in his forties maybe was checking out my car and just was amaze at how the condition of the car was, good interior and decent exterior. I kept on telling him the flaws in it (oh yeah, there's a little crack on the dash, the clear coat on my hood is a little faded). My friend's dad even told him it's not turbo. But it didn't seem to deter his interest.

He asked me if it was for sale. I said no. End of story.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Phantom;930662 said:
Haha, you know what so hilarious about this story...I had a similar situation. I was at an auto shop that my friend's father works at so I can get my ball joints check. My car is a '90 N/A.

Long story short, an guy in his forties maybe was checking out my car and just was amaze at how the condition of the car was, good interior and decent exterior. I kept on telling him the flaws in it (oh yeah, there's a little crack on the dash, the clear coat on my hood is a little faded). My friend's dad even told him it's not turbo. But it didn't seem to deter his interest.

He asked me if it was for sale. I said no. End of story.
You're nuts.

ma70i6t

stay inline
Aug 6, 2006
DFW
if someone offered me MORE than i put into it i MIGHT consider selling it but in the end its up to you, lot of factors

rs4rush

Jan 25, 2007
Kirkland, Wa
americanjebus;910306 said:
Pics of said gem?

If you really love this car then by all means keep it. It is an addiction but it is up to you. I keep mine because its the car i learned to work on cars with and because it is not my daily driver. I just have mine for the shear pleasure of owning it and even with the offers i have received i can not accept them because i will feel like that 47 year old man that still regrets selling his hemi-cuda back in 82 for $3k.

Its up to you man, how much do you want to hold on to it. Will you rest easy if you do get another car?

Ha ha my dad did that... He regrets it every day... :3d_frown:

Even though mine is such a pain I would never sell it. Mine is just like yours a gem to find among Mk3's. Just realize when you go to buy one again you’re going to take a bit of time to find another one like it... Good luck.