When is the right time to move on from the mkiii?

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
I have about 8 grand in my car so far (original purchase price + repairs), and I just won't stop putting money into it. It is the best car that I have ever owned. But I would sell it in a heartbeat if I could get the money out of it that I have in it... but it would be to buy another Supra.

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
I know about this being a tough decision, had to make the same decision about three years ago.

Only with my 88 conquest.

Bought it for 850.00, had to work on it for nearly a week to get it ready for the drive home.

Went through the whole car mechanically, painted it, powdercoated the 8's and 9's, upgraded the turbo and I was finished. Took about a year and half, but I was pretty much done, the only other thing to do would have been the magna intake (a true multi port).

I happened to be in the town where I bought the car originally--the same place where the previous owner lived. He saw it and started asking me to sell it back to him.

He must have called me 10 times asking me to give him a price. So one of those days when he called me I just said 8,000.00. He then says I will be down to pick it up next week.

Well just like he said, came down with 80 hundred dollar bills, and drove away.

Yeah, I was sad but I had 8k to play with, that pretty much brings us up to the present.

It's funny, now that I think about it, my wife told me after it was gone that she really didn't think I would sell it.

Wayne

EDIT:

On the other hand, think about what you would get for it if something beyond your control happens to it and you are forced to deal with an insurance company, much like I am doing right now. I know I would never gotten 8K for a 88 conquest if some drunk ran into it.
I am contemplating getting the most I can for mine from the the insurance company, and then letting them keep it, then buying something new. Or maybe I will part it out. I don't know.
Just food for thought and my .02.

Wayne

Last edited:

suprajjang

Supra Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005
VA
hottscennessey;931984 said:
No updates Chris? I assume you kept it because haven't called..?

Well he is supposed to come and see the car up close in person in the next couple of days. I told him that I was deciding on the price he offered me but he did say that he would possibly offer me more after looking the car through. I will miss having a turbo car if i sell it because I wont be able to replace it with another turbo car. If I didnt buy the G I would have sold this car so I could buy a MKIV. I always said I would sell it for around the price I got offered but once it actually happened, it turned out to be a harder decision than i thought...lol

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
I had a guy the other day ask me if i was ever interested in selling my car to give him a call,i refused him 3 times before he could give me his card. stupid? maybe. blissfully happy with my car? dam straight!!!

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
I don't know about you folks but I have owned my 87 NA for over 14 years and in that time regular maintance, added a power sunroof, had it repainted and added a spoiler, new shocks with lower springs, just rebuilt engine. Now if I had to add it all up I have over 20k into it. Now for me I will never sell this call. Every now and then I will get someone that wants to buy it, but this is my car, the one I always wanted.

The question you must ask yourself is what do you really want. Any car can look fast and run fast, but there is no other car that looks like a supra mkiii !!

scooter

toyo4life

Supramania Contributor
Oct 8, 2006
Manchester NJ
The time is right when your wife threatens to punch you in the eye if you buy another F*****G part for that POS car in the garage.

My eye will heal.

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
csnow;937842 said:
Fourteen years of owning a MKIII and you only have 13 posts on SM? You been living under a rock all these years?

:)

LOL to be honest never new this existed until last year. Plus work and a family take time.

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
csnow;937842 said:
Fourteen years of owning a MKIII and you only have 13 posts on SM? You been living under a rock all these years?

:)

Cool thing are the car shows. Went to chicago last summer and in May going to one in Indy.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Doward;910487 said:
In all honesty, I can't see myself getting rid of my Supra. First, it was a gift from a very good friend. Second, the more I've worked on it, the more capable of a platform I've found the chassis to be.

Look at what you get out of the MKIII Supra:
1) Fully independent suspension, front and rear.
2) 4 wheel ABS
3) One of the most driver-oriented dash setups I've ever witnessed
4) Electronically modulated suspension
5) The most comfortable seats in the world

The list goes on - the only thing I could ever see me wanting, that the Supra doesn't deliver, are in 3 areas:

1) I want a 6 speed. I'm picking up a T56 Friday, if all goes well, so that will take care of that ;)
2) I want a good, solid powerplant. The 7M I'm building is practically perfect, imho, but we'll see how it works out. I've always got the option of selling it, and getting an LS1
3) The chassis needs a bit more stiffening. Gonna see about subframe connectors, but that's down the road a little ways :)

That said, if YOU aren't feeling it - then get out while the getting is good! lol

This is the most sense that I've read in quite awhile. Abosolutely true on all levels. Stock for stock the Supra may not be as fast or handle quite as well, but the actual driver interaction is superior to most new cars, namely the absurdly comfy seats and awesome dash layout.

I've found I have no desire for any new car at all, and even used ones only the MKIV really sparks my interest.

You should go around dealer to dealer, and try to find a new sports car that even has a seat as good as the MKIII.