When is the right time to move on from the mkiii?

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
suprajjang;910088... said:
one of the body shops customers saw my car and just had to have it.

Would you sell it or keep it?

If you want to sell and at the same time make yourself feel better about it, counter offer with a higher price, as some of the previous posters have suggested.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Sawbladz;910326 said:
I disagree. During the long winters up here my mind tends to wander all the time to other projects I could be doing. So far I always come back to the Supra with renewed enthusiasm. When this stops being true I will move on.

I have plans in the future to own a Corvette and possibly an LS1 FD. We'll just see when I get bored of the Supra.

The thought has already entered your mind. It's only a matter of time until you move on to your Corvertte and/or LS1 FD project. (Either you'll keep your Supra as part of your collection or maybe we'll see your part-out/car for sale thread.)

Coincidentally, one day, I too would like to own either a Corvette or FD. Will I get rid of the Supra after owning it since 1995? I haven't ruled that possibility out. I'm not a big baller who is able to purchase, maintain, continuously upgrade, and insure multiple project cars.

Last edited:

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
The time to move on is when i was to get a better car then the supra. The only reall upgrades that i see start around 80k. On that note, the mkiii is an old car, i have not seen anything that comes close to the body style.Reliable like a toyota...lol

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
If you feel the project is finished, and can justify selling it and nearly recouping your costs, now is the time to move onto the next project. As a hobby, time isn't of the value, and recouping your investment is a bonus... everyone knows we'll all be lucky to see 30 cents back on every dollar we spend on these JDM bathtubs, take it while it's hot and go Jellybean or onto something else.

Just remember that it's not every day you get a reasonable offer on your ~20 year old sports car.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Keros;910464 said:
If you feel the project is finished, and can justify selling it and nearly recouping your costs, now is the time to move onto the next project. As a hobby, time isn't of the value, and recouping your investment is a bonus... everyone knows we'll all be lucky to see 30 cents back on every dollar we spend on these JDM bathtubs, take it while it's hot and go Jellybean or onto something else.

Just remember that it's not every day you get a reasonable offer on your ~20 year old sports car.

Keros, you made the a very good and rational points.

Most of the time, cost cannot be recouped. If you have another car in mind that you'd like to purchase, using your MKIII as a downpayment/payment, then now is the perfect time to sell. Like I said earlier, counter offer with a reasonably higher selling price. If the buyer accepts, sell immediately, and be happy!

Last edited:

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
In all honesty, I can't see myself getting rid of my Supra. First, it was a gift from a very good friend. Second, the more I've worked on it, the more capable of a platform I've found the chassis to be.

Look at what you get out of the MKIII Supra:
1) Fully independent suspension, front and rear.
2) 4 wheel ABS
3) One of the most driver-oriented dash setups I've ever witnessed
4) Electronically modulated suspension
5) The most comfortable seats in the world

The list goes on - the only thing I could ever see me wanting, that the Supra doesn't deliver, are in 3 areas:

1) I want a 6 speed. I'm picking up a T56 Friday, if all goes well, so that will take care of that ;)
2) I want a good, solid powerplant. The 7M I'm building is practically perfect, imho, but we'll see how it works out. I've always got the option of selling it, and getting an LS1
3) The chassis needs a bit more stiffening. Gonna see about subframe connectors, but that's down the road a little ways :)

That said, if YOU aren't feeling it - then get out while the getting is good! lol

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
Think about it long and hard, because you know once you see the tail lights disapear out of sight its gone forever. Can you let the car go and have no regrets?? If so then its time to move on.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Ok, ok, i've finally figured it out. Here's what you do:
Sell your Supra that you've driven on the streets mildly for the good money, then buy another MK3 to build for racing.
You've already had a daily driver, now build one for the track. Coincidentally you could pick mine up for $5K if interested. Already prepped for the track ;)

suprajjang;910134 said:
Yea thats the main reason I am leaning towards keeping it. I have no mechanical issues with this car at all. I know most people say its not a mkiii supra if there isnt something wrong:biglaugh: so i guess its rare to have a problemless supra...lol

Its that you have gotten all the kinks out of it!:love:

and you know your car inside and out.... thats what so great about it...:love:

it will be along time before you get to know the next car... right???

KEEP IT!!!!

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
if you're thinking about it do it. only reasons i thought about it is cause i need the money to get out of debt or to pay rent or pay for the new baby. thats the only reasons. not because some one offered me money.

but to be honest i have about 7K in mine, not junk parts just good deals. and if some one came up and offered me 7500 for it i'd sign the title on the spot.

go buy another shell and do a 2J swap instead and be right where im at now. and be even happier.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I remember the evening my mk3 drove off for the last time without me. It was a picturesk dusk, and couldn't have been more movie-like. I regret it immensely, but it's done, and I've moved on. Part of me is still stuck in that moment though.
eric

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
If you are posting the thread, then I would say you are looking for justification to back your decision. I think its time to move on.....

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
i'll only sell it if its 2 times as much as i put into it. My friends sister boasted about having heated mirrors. I told her my 88 and my 89 came with them stock. I also told her i have an electronic controled suspension in it. She had a computer that showed her the gas milage. I said my car came with one stock as well (only 1 year). This is an 08 vs 88 & 89. Pitty how sucky these new cars are. I would rather keep the 20+ year old sports car.