Jun 21, 2008
Kansas.
Get 350-400 hp and I'll be damn happy.

Exhaust system with 3" downpipe/test pipe
Intercooler
Boost controller (already bought it)
BOV
Possibly lower it about 1.5"-2"

Those will be the first things that get done...then I'll worry about fixing faded bumpers and fender.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Short term goals = Already there - nice paint, everything works, no rattles or squeeks etc, just installed hks stopper, tight motor (it's pretty fast), built a340e w/ kevlar clutches, LSD w/430's, dialed-in koni yellows, good tires, monster stereo w/Ipod, decent interior.
Able to put mustangs and most vette's in their proper place...my rearview mirror.

Long term= 2jz?? or LSx?? & TH350 w/trans brake (I want to be able to drive anywhere, throw on slicks, unbolt the front sway bar links, dial up the boost, and go sub 11's), new leather seats to replace cloth originals as well as making interior "immaculate"... instead of "pretty decent" .

Most important of all, it's gotta look stock (at least at first glance)...so I can deliver even more of the jaw dropping shock that only a sleeper can deliver.

Last edited:

mk3713

Up for sale
Nov 29, 2005
Houston
upgradedsupra;1077770 said:
No goal anymore, I am fed up with this bs. :3d_frown:

Wow took the words right out of my mouth. Then I get in and drive it sometimes and I realize I like driving them but not working on them anymore.

Short term goal reached:
Rebuild engine.

Mid-term goal reached:
Wheels ,install the holset, intercooler, 3" exhaust, electric fans bov, wastegate, hardpipes.

Long term goal:
Sell the Evil car or make it reliable.

I have my eye on a red 90 auto targa . It has been sitting up for 6 years at my friends house, I could probably get it for 500. He gave up a long time ago, moved on to a ls1 powered truck then to a supercharged harley. I want to buy it, wheels, front lip, drop spring, whale tale, window tint, radio and call it a DD. I like my sport trac also but it needs more power:biglaugh:.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
upgradedsupra;1077770 said:
No goal anymore, I am fed up with this bs. :3d_frown:

So I'm probably going to open a can of worms here by making this observation, but it seems like either people LOVE the 7m or hate 'em. Is the 7m a good engine or not? I know, toyota half-assed the hg, but otherwise, what is it about the engine that makes it so unreliable? Not counting normal maintenance stuff here! The factory specs on my car say 233hp. NOT 400, 500, 600 hp. So are people modding these cars to the point that the 7m can't handle it? If so, does that make it a bad engine? Is it the wiring? The ECU? Everything was designed for 233hp, so are there just alot of mods out there gone bad? Or maybe not implemented correctly?

Well, I think I've hi-jacked this thread enough. But I had to ask..

Oh, I'm not picking on you upgradedsupra, I've seen plenty of others in the same boat. Your post just prompted my questions..

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
There is nothing wrong with a properly prepped 7M besides perception. Over 700HP on a stock bottom end proves that with proper preperation and execution the 7M is a worth platform. Its been said before and it seems even more evident the more time I spend around this community, the problem with the supra and the 7M in particular is the owner.

Back to on topic: I have been researching converting to a 5MGTE and it looks like that will be the way I go as soon as this car gets retired from DD status. In the meantime the motor will remain bone stock while I spend what little money I have to upgrade the suspension and brakes.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
ZoomZoomZoom;1078263 said:
So I'm probably going to open a can of worms here by making this observation, but it seems like either people LOVE the 7m or hate 'em. Is the 7m a good engine or not? I know, toyota half-assed the hg, but otherwise, what is it about the engine that makes it so unreliable? Not counting normal maintenance stuff here! The factory specs on my car say 233hp. NOT 400, 500, 600 hp. So are people modding these cars to the point that the 7m can't handle it? If so, does that make it a bad engine? Is it the wiring? The ECU? Everything was designed for 233hp, so are there just alot of mods out there gone bad? Or maybe not implemented correctly?

Well, I think I've hi-jacked this thread enough. But I had to ask..

Oh, I'm not picking on you upgradedsupra, I've seen plenty of others in the same boat. Your post just prompted my questions..

Sorry but I am just messing with you guys :biglaugh: I just had to stir up the pot. hahahahaha I love my 7M and so much that I have a tattoo that has a 7M GTE logo in it ;)

Engine is badass and I wouldn't change it. Heck I am going to start a new project 7M soon. :naughty:

So you can take your post out now if you want. :sarcasm:

klaasjoe

Nov 27, 2006
Los Angeles
My 92 will have a decent shadow grey interior with recaro rears,mats and panels. A 450hp 1jz,full regulus kit,kaze light kit,cfx hood and some other little goodies. That will make me a happy mk3 owner.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
First off I want to get my 7M running properly, replace gaskets in the exhaust system to get rid of the nasty exhaust smell I get in the car sometimes, fix my water temp gauge, touch up the paint so that it doesn't look scratched up. That's short term, and realistic at this point.

Future:
Performance: 1JZ twin (yes I want to keep it twin), R-154, FMIC, ST sway bars, either Tein SS or Greddy S-Sport coilovers, brake system upgrade, cat-back exhaust, ECU upgrade, battery relocation, various needed electronics

Cosmetics: Kaminari Pre-89 body kit minus whaletail, Regulus front panel replica (if I can find one pre-89), CF hood, professional paint job- metallic black, kazera kz-x black rims w/ red lip, CF wing w/ metallic red end plates

Interior: Black carpet/dash/interior panels, black/red racing seats, red harnesses, black/red rear seats, red-illuminated gauges, upgraded speakers (NO SUB!), black/red steering wheel

Total Cost: too damn much

If I ever go all the way through with this, I'll have the baddest looking MKIII (in my area at least). I just wish that I knew how to use something like photoshop or other image editing software to draw up a rough idea of what I want it to look like.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
Car is done just need to work out the details.

Want to have 650whp on tap, 1.5g capable, 25+MPG, sub 3300lbs with driver (at 3370now), brakes that can take a beating on the track (have AP racing BBK just need new pads), 275 wide R compund tires all round and fun as fuck to drive.

Jeremy

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
my goal is to build the damn thing, nuff said. its been sitting at my shop for a long time. time to stfu, and do what I been wanting to do.