Using a Gm trans for drag racing

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Anything making over 600whp through the auto, I would be looking at a shield, regardless of the kit. I am strongly thinking about it for a lower (slightly) HP level, although I am keeping it at stock rev limit.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
that's why i originally wanted to use the ultra bell. too bad it is way too massive to fit in the tunnel.

you can get a scattershield tho and make it fit somehow. space is a premium.

joliroger4

Flying Dutchman Pilot
Apr 4, 2005
New Jersey
www.geocities.com
Yeah the ATI comes with a 9", but if you spoke to them over the phone, they would build you any converter you wanted to fit their 7m or JZ kit. They built the kit for the destroked HKS MKIII racecar that had a glide in it as well as did the converters for Paul Efantis's old race car. They are Selling you a 9" because that is an excellent size for these cars. The converter needs to be matched to the engine/car. It's not like an 11" converter is better than a 10" just because one is bigger, they have to be matched properly. The ATI fuel and blown can be had for 850 from summit and usually substantially cheaper in the fall getting close to the holidays. There isn't much that rivals this converter except for a Chance at 3x the cost.

Tireburner

Boosted7M
Apr 5, 2005
CAnada
Great info thanks. What would be the benefits with a glide vs th350 or would there be ? Or not even worth going that route any input ?

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Tireburner;1487836 said:
Great info thanks. What would be the benefits with a glide vs th350 or would there be ? Or not even worth going that route any input ?

From what I understand about glides, you need either a really light car, or one making a fuckton of power.

Asside from that, I do not know too much about them.

Yblegal91t

it finally runs!
Apr 22, 2006
C1 outer
going back to the speedo question. I had a gps that shows mph so i have been using that. they are pretty accurate nowadays.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
I should add that having a scatter shield is a good idea. A blanket would be second choice if you want to go the cheap and easy way. It took a bit to get my shield to fit but it fits!

Duane

darkspeed

Supramania Contributor
Oct 1, 2006
Montgomery, AL
www.pbase.com
Here's a little info of my th400 swap, although i'd do it with a th350 next time:
TH400 swap in Mkii

I'm putting this in my black mkii for TX2k10. 3.56 R&P is ideal. This time around I shouldn't be as limited with the power. I upgraded the Megasquirt (not so boost limited now) and will be running a S366

The launches are killer (1.5 60's all day long after I learned how), shifts are fluid, and boost stays on the whole run. Nitrous makes this even better.

I would have done something like the ATI plate, but I couldn't get my head around the starter issue and what TC to use. I'm not very smart nor innovative enough.