Using a Gm trans for drag racing

Tireburner

Boosted7M
Apr 5, 2005
CAnada
First off just want to say im building up a 87 hardtop supra for drag racing.
Have fully built motor forged piston and rods arp hardware through out. Fully ported polished head with Bc valve train and cams. Haven't picked a turbo yet but leaning towards gt42.

Anyway needing info On swapping in a Gm 350 turbo trans lots of guys have done this. Having hard time finding any info on this. I know Ati has adaptor kit anyone use this? Wondering if any other kits exist? Also wondering how people solved speedo issues and mounting issues clearance issues and what not? Which starter you use?
Really just looking for anyone that can give details about doing this.
Thanks hope someone can help

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
dbsupra on here started a thread about it. You should be able to search his name and find the thread he started.

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
Im in the midst of mine now. If you get the ATI kit. it will really help on sourcing parts. It comes with the adapter, flex plate, and it will enable you to use the stock starter.
I will be installing the motor and tranny this week. As soon as I do I plan on doing a write-up on it. The main thing Im going to have issues with is the abs. I know joliroger on here has the setup in a truck and a car. Thats where I got my kit. Try doing a search for th350. there is info for speed-o. Can be rigged or custom made, your choice.

Tireburner

Boosted7M
Apr 5, 2005
CAnada
Sweet keep me updated. Did you build up Gm trans or put it in stock for now?
Can anyone give info on how much power they can hold stock or minor upgrades they need or major? Thanks

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
Mine is built. It has a reverse manual valve body. With a trans brake. Th350 can handle some power as long as it is done right. You get what you pay for.

besttrans

Supramania Contributor
Jun 18, 2006
Springfield MA
th350 has worked incredible for us. The only pain in the ass is beating up the tunnel to fit the bell housing. As for speedo i may have an idea for you. Give us a call anytime between 8-6pm et.

shawn cassady
best transmissions
413-736-9496

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
besttrans;1483815 said:
th350 has worked incredible for us. The only pain in the ass is beating up the tunnel to fit the bell housing. As for speedo i may have an idea for you. Give us a call anytime between 8-6pm et.

shawn cassady
best transmissions
413-736-9496

I may give you a call for this idea. If you don't mind.

joliroger4

Flying Dutchman Pilot
Apr 4, 2005
New Jersey
www.geocities.com
Any speedometer shop can make you a custom cable. You just have to send in a core with the toyota gauge cluster end on it since no speedometer shop can get this end new. Then let them know the length you need and have them install a TH350 type end on the other side. Then you will need a 1:1 90 degree th350 speedometer adapter to come right off the transmission so the cable does not hit the tunnel. The trans should have a 22 drive gear and 7 driven gear and this will put your speedometer very accurate with a 3.91 and stock sized tires. Stock 3.91 speedo gears have a .3125 ratio, the TH350 ratio I just spec'd will yield a .3181 ratio.

besttrans

Supramania Contributor
Jun 18, 2006
Springfield MA
We do have a few adaptor plates in stock, I get $300 for them. you retatain the stock starter and flywheel. We recomend a precision converter. Thanks

shawn cassady
best transmissions
413-736-9496

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
Expect to spend $1,000. That's what mine cost. And make sure you use new converter bolts. They should send them with the converter.

Tireburner

Boosted7M
Apr 5, 2005
CAnada
So voodoo your using ati adapter kit and running a precision converter ? why not use the ati converter? Just curious is all thanks

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
Sorry I mis understood what you were asking. I am using the ATI converter. Didn't realize you were asking price for a specific converter. I would expect the same though.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
my precision converter made to work with sean's plate was ~$700

i was in the same boat you are, and here were my thoughts:

ati- cost a lot more ($700 vs $300 for shawn's). however, you do get a nice flexplate.

ati- you have to completely cut to fit. shawn's plate- ready to bolt on with the exception of trimming for water pipe.

ati- have to use their converter. it is 8" and $1000-1500. shawn's- can use precision 9.5" converter and made to work with his plate for $700. also, midwest makes a converter that will work but more expensive.

ati- sfi approved. shawn's is not.

ati- back to flexplate. theirs is bolt on. shawn's you will have to modify the stock.

not sure on the ati, but on shawn's you can run studs on the starter, which makes it a breeze to r&r.

hope this helps!

db

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
Agreed 100%. Lucky I bought mine cut. You can run studs on the ATI as well. Either Kit will work and you should be happy in the end.
Here is a pic of mine on the motor.
transadapter.jpg

Was planning on putting in my motor and transmission today. Well after looking at my transmission. I don't even have a place for my speedo to hook up. Guess he just put a cap on it seeing how I told him it was a going to used for dragracing.
Am I correct?
transtail.jpg

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
ATI kit here, trans good for 1K plus...

TH350 built. P Affontis IIRC ran the same trans in his Supra running high 7's back in the day.

Duane