Using a Gm trans for drag racing

Tireburner

Boosted7M
Apr 5, 2005
CAnada
db according to Ati website you have use a 9" converter can anyone verify?

Also what's the difference between running a 9" and 9.5" or 8" for that matter?

Sorry im use to manual's really dont have very much knowledge at all on Automatics.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Hey Shawn its Mike, thanks for answering my questions yesterday, I will def get back to you when everything goes through.

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
Tireburner;1485741 said:
db according to Ati website you have use a 9" converter can anyone verify? .

Yes it is a 9" converter. Mine us a fuel and blown. I can say that I got my converter 2 days after I called and ordered it. They are very promt to get it to you.

Tireburner

Boosted7M
Apr 5, 2005
CAnada
Ok guys another question. Im going from a 5spd setup to Gm swap I know I will need adapter /converter custom driveshaft,custom speedo cable, and shifter,

Anything else I will need to complete this swap???

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
You will have to build a custom trans mount. Can build it off the stocker. Also go ahead and get a good trans cooler. Other than that. Just a sledge hammer. Have to beat on the tran tunnel.

Over all it is fairly simple tech wise. Untill you get into ABS. I still am clueless on how. I know what is needed just not the tech aspect of it.

Tireburner

Boosted7M
Apr 5, 2005
CAnada
This may be a dumb question lol but im a complete newbie when it comes to auto trans. So no kick down cable required with gm trans?

Mechanically I can do all work required we own a body shop with all tools and hoist and what not. Ive owned supras for years now just never had a Auto supra and will mostly be doing drag racing so just made sense to go this route.

7mLove

Addict
Nov 11, 2009
Barksdale AFB, Louisiana United States
Tireburner;1483094 said:
First off just want to say im building up a 87 hardtop supra for drag racing.
Have fully built motor forged piston and rods arp hardware through out. Fully ported polished head with Bc valve train and cams. Haven't picked a turbo yet but leaning towards gt42.

Anyway needing info On swapping in a Gm 350 turbo trans lots of guys have done this. Having hard time finding any info on this. I know Ati has adaptor kit anyone use this? Wondering if any other kits exist? Also wondering how people solved speedo issues and mounting issues clearance issues and what not? Which starter you use?
Really just looking for anyone that can give details about doing this.
Thanks hope someone can help

fuzion motorsports makes an adapter for a 2jz and a turbo 400 trans. im sure i could see if he can fab you one up. the turbo 350 and 400 have the same bolt patterns

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
7mLove;1486028 said:
fuzion motorsports makes an adapter for a 2jz and a turbo 400 trans. im sure i could see if he can fab you one up. the turbo 350 and 400 have the same bolt patterns

There are many companies that make adaptors.
Ross Machine and Boostwerx make ones that allow you to use a GM converter, besttrans might make one as well. Then you get into the ATI kits and other styles like that.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
yes you need a full manual valve body. well, dont NEED but it's way better. you can get a full manual with transbrake, but it is a lot more work. if you are going to do almost full time drag, it would be worthwhile.

for shifters, i like the b&m stuff. of course all that is preference. and if you are doing near full duty drag, the type of shifter you may want is different from let's say a street/strip.

as far as the converters, sorry i thought it was the 8" that you had to use. either way, you have to use their converter from what i understand. on the size, each has it's advantages, again depends on what you plan to do with the car.

fyi, i have a boostwerx adapter here bnib (2j)

Tireburner

Boosted7M
Apr 5, 2005
CAnada
Excellent next question. Are the flexplates the same between N/A and Turbo's? Just want to make sure I buy the right one for the Gm swap.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Same same but factory flexplates have a nasty habit of cracking around the centre so careful inspection is required if you're using one.

I modded mine and added a second flex plate without the ring gear in place of one of the factory spacers.

Tireburner

Boosted7M
Apr 5, 2005
CAnada
Ahh so a higher hp application would it be safer to go with a kit such as ATI being that they supply a sfi approved flywheel?