Update: 7/12/09- White car stripped for paint

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i am. and meh, probably not. haha. lots more to do. (including battery relocation)

-shaeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
nice! i didn't remember whether you said 60-1 or 60 trim, so i picked the smaller one, haha.

thanks, and i'll most certainly let you know how it goes. :) i <3 being a guinee pig! (seriously)

-shaeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
update, Mo87NA stopped by today- turbo is on, but i'm taking it back off tomorrow. haha. the way that i routed some of my lines/fittings makes my SS braided oil lines not fit properly. (they used to fit fine, though - MDC's ss oil lines)

so i ordered 3 feet of -4AN SS braided line, and some aeroquip fittings to make my own feed line setup. i'll remove the turbo for ease of install, and have it all back together by wednesday or thursday when my stuff arrives from summitracing.

i'll post a pic of how it looks tomorrow. if things keep happening this quickly, i might get the car started by the weekend. (hasn't been started in over a year)

i'll have to mock up something to hold the battery, as the FFIM kindof takes up all that room. once the turbo's back on, i work on mounting the IC, and probably hacking my bumper support for a turbo a duct even though i don't have one yet. :p

once the ic and piping is done, the car should be able to be boosted. (though it's in no condition to beat the poo out of. gotta find someone around to do a little welding on my aluminum IC pipes. (ie, mounting the HKS SSQV flange)

i'm out for the night.

-shaeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
turbo is back off- i finished making my -4AN SS braided turbo feed line. i used a 45* fitting on one side that will go off the bottom of the turbo, and i took a different route to clear my IC pipes.

i'll post pics of it tomorrow. today i cleaned the garage around the car to make it easier to work. (and it's a LOT easier to work, too)

i found all my lost tools, and put them back in their respective locations- nice to find things when i need them!

if all goes well, the turbo will be back on tomorrow, and i'll have some more pics to share. then it's a bit of wiring, and fire it up.

-shaeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
haha, i'm lazy, and busy all at the very same time!

though, i do have progress pics i need to post. i've got the gas tank dropped, subframe is coming out for beadblasting, welding for reinforcement, fixing the alignment tabs, and coating, and going back in with the BIC solid spacers i've had sitting around for some time now.

battery relocation is underway, as well. i'll have pics up when i get back from my "business trip" to Lyons, NY. man, there's nothing out here!

oh yeah, i also finished relocating all the sensors and fuse box. they're no longer in the engine bay. :) all the wiring is done for that, too. just have to wrap them in a sheath, but i'm waiting to make sure the car runs well before i go covering them all up and makin' 'em look pretty!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
turbo oil feed (small -4 line) and my relocation/cooler/t-stat lines from the block:

front side of the turbo mounted (in a cardboard box :p with the feed line attached)

my new turbo feed line, i left room for an inline filter whenever i decide on which one i'd like to get:

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Two of the pictures dont work, but the middle one does!

Frigggggggen' sweeet Chris!

No englishtown for you though huh.....?

Don't make me come up there and pick you up ;)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
try refreshing your browser, they work fine for me. photobucket has never given me any problems...

thanks for the compliments. it's a slow, and sortof steady bit of progress.

i might go to e-town. i haven't decided yet. obviously i'd just take the pickup, but i could get a huge chunk of work done to the supra that day...

it's a toss up- i'll most likely decide late friday night as to whether or not i'm going.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
shaeff said:
p826397_1.jpg

what's goes on here with that shifter?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
heh, i thought this thread was lost forever. (i'm lazy when it comes to updating)

that shifter is a very, very short SOGI mod. (and it's in reverse) thus far, nobody likes it but me. (and i'll have a different shifter by the time the car is road ready again. (changing the angle of it to be more upright in 2nd, 4th, and reverse. ;))

man, i should really work on that 'bucket this weekend...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
TKA: i figured that i was so 'blessed' in other areas, i had to make SOMETHING short so all the other guys wouldn't be jealous. ;)

will- heh, maybe this weekend. i've got some spare time today that i just might throw at the 'bucket.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
^ haha. ;)

i didn't get a chance to work on the car much today, just fiddling with the wiring mess up front, but i took a pic of the subframe situation. it's just been sitting like this for a week or two: (click to enlarge)

going to strip it, then bryan (slow66) is going to weld in some plate steel for me to reinforce it while it's out, and weld behind the alignment tabs so they stop bending out. then it gets 100% sand blasted, and coated. (probably POR15), and then i press in all my new nylon bushings and BIC solid subframe spacers. :)

once that's bolted back in, the battery relocations goes back underway, and the car should run. then it's mounting of the IC, piping, BOV, put body panels back on, and paint. :)

it WILL be on the road for summer.

edit: that's water on the floor, not gear oil. ;)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
here's another update, finally! i worked on the rear subframe today, got it completely stripped and ready for sandblasting. i also discovered (though, not difficult) a huge crack going right through the subframe over the differential. yes, it's ALL THE WAY through! yikes! pics tell all:

first, and most importantly, my helper! ;):

the subframe removed from the car:

quick view of the center section, see anything interesting?

incase you didn't notice:

a bit closer:

the other side of the same crack- it goes all the way through the subframe!

axle removed:

and the other:

what happens when you twist the subframe with the weight of the diff still in there:

LSD removed:

LSD (it's a 4.3):

another pic of what happens when you stress that crack! yikes!

for some reason, i neglected to take a pic of the stripped subframe, so here's one from my cameraphone that i sent my friend to show him my progress- sorry for the crappy quality, i'll get a higher res. shot when i work on the 'bucket again!

stripped subframe:

keep in mind that i have nylon subframe spacers from BIC, and nylon upper/lower bushings for the control arms as well. :) i'll make sure to take pics of them, as well as post pics when i install them.

edit: bryan (slow66) will be doing some welding on the subfame for me, not only to fix that crack, but to reinforce it fully and completely after i get it blasted.