Update: 7/12/09- White car stripped for paint

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I'll poop in your shoes if you look at me like that again. Poop. Shoes.

::moebaker::

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
Oh_noes_by_MichelleBurnette.jpg

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Time for a thread title change again. The white car's interior is almost completely stripped. I don't think I'll pull the wiring, my paint guy will just paint around it. It's all detached (behind-dash body harness) so it can be easily moved for paint.

Next comes a good vacuum, then I'm pulling all the sound padding/jute. I know, I know, but this will never be my daily driver, as dictated by the fact that it's going to have full nylon bushings everywhere. Comfort is NOT an issue, nor is interior db level. I've got an M3 for daily driving, and it's comfortable enough.

Going for 3000lbs + 500rwhp with this car. Should be fun. Enough babbling...

Here are a few pics, clicky:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Had some time to dick around with the Supra today. Passenger side asphalt matte is out. Over the course of this week, the tranny tunnel, driver's side, under rear seat, and hatch asphalt sound matte will be removed. A few pics:

The plan is to continue pulling the asphalt matte out, do some grinding, probably some stitch welding (Ian, wanna give me some tips as to where would be best?)

Comfort is NOT an issue at all with this car. Please keep that in mind. I'm making this into something it was never intended to be.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
IJ.;1363883 said:
Got access to a rotisserie Chris?

Negative, Ghost Rider. :( I wish I did!

I do, however, have access to a lift- a buddy of mine works at a local garage. His boss is quite chill, and likes me. Beer and pizza, I'm in!

s383mmber1;1363911 said:
Chris: If you ever need anything Tig welded let me know...

Will do! :)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Damn. :( How about stitch-welding the inside of the car? Would it do any good without doing the underside?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
IJ.;1364151 said:
Most of the structure is under the car so not a whole bunch, would be much better off welding a steel cage into it.

Hmmm, I was trying to avoid a cage if I could. I want the car to be stiff, but I don't want to have to wear a helmet and 5 point harness every time I get in it either...

I'll have to do some poking around.

buckshotglass;1364156 said:
Like the cages I use for tomatoes? They are steel. ;)

I've got some of those! LOL, I'll just weld them to the bottom of the car and be done with it!

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Have you considered filling the frame rails (and/or rocker panels,) with chassis stiffening foam?
OEMs have done it so I don't think it's any kind of voodoo.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
IJ.;1364167 said:
Half cage and door bars like I ran in my Z car?
(6 point welded in 12>14 places with gussets)

[thumb]http://ij.supramania.com/datto02.jpg[/thumb]

I do like that. :) Hmmm... See, I still plan to drive this car on the street, so that's why I didn't want to cage it. I didn't want to have to wear a 5pt harness and helmet all the time. Plus, I've got a full Recaro interior going in it.

miekedmr;1364233 said:
Have you considered filling the frame rails (and/or rocker panels,) with chassis stiffening foam?
OEMs have done it so I don't think it's any kind of voodoo.
I gave it some thought, but I've heard horror stories about the foam breaking away from the chassis and making terrible, terrible squeaking noises. I don't mind road noise, or suspension travel noise, but squeaking would drive me bugshit, as Ian would say. LOL.

Slow66;1364366 said:
You know you want me to put a cage in that car Chris...;)

Does the half cage like Ian's Z car require all that extra safety equip for street use?
IJ.;1364367 said:
<points @ Bryan>>>> he knows ;)

My bet is that he does. LOL.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I imagine if the rollover bar is far enough back you won't need a helmet, the side bars might be a bit of an issue, but you could pad them...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Very interesting. I would definitely pad them, that's for sure. Hey Bryan, how much we talkin' for something like this?