The NARSupra

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
PS- you said that the head was rebuilt- Are you sure that the cam timing is correct? A couple of teeth off, and the car won't hardly run.

NARSupra

Oct 19, 2008
Chico, CA
supraguy@aol;1162261 said:
PS- you said that the head was rebuilt- Are you sure that the cam timing is correct? A couple of teeth off, and the car won't hardly run.

When I took possession of the car the cam timing was off 180 degrees... so I doubt it would have even managed a compression stroke. I fixed it before I started it the cam timing is perfect now.

Update... I figured out the intake manifold is leaking where it bolts to the block at the manifold. So whomever put it on in the first place couldn't even do that right.

I'm gonna remove the manifold and seal it properly... not sure if the rich running condition is due to all the un-metered air? Just in case I'm gonna swap in fresher fuel injectors.

Also, I found a fresh rebuild stamp on the block so I guess the entire motor is new not just the head. :cool:

Last edited:

NARSupra

Oct 19, 2008
Chico, CA
Update: I tightened all the intake manifold bolts that were loose. I couldn't replace the fuel injectors with fresher ones because apparently the fuel injectors changed from 87-89... :( ...so I'm just gonna have my old ones cleaned. When I fired it up the car behaved better... but still wouldn't idle and was still running mofo rich.

I got some new intake gaskets, so no more experiments. After I get my fuel injectors cleaned I'm gonna tear the whole manifold off and make sure every godamned little thing is perfect under the hood. :mad:

If it doesn't work after that... its new engine harness time :(

NARSupra

Oct 19, 2008
Chico, CA
So I just pulled the intake manifold off... to my dismay I see that most of the studs are missing and were replaced with bolts... except that there were no bolts in the lower part of the manifold at all so of course it leaked balls. The gaskets were old and shitty as well...

0image052ra6.jpg

I should have the intake manifold resealed and new studs put in the head this week I'll take more pics when I'm done with that. I also sent the fuel injectors off to get tested/refurbished. (Hopefully that's part of the reason I was running mofo rich.) Btw I am curious if there is any difference between the 87 and the 89 AFMs?

Here's a pic of the rebuild stamp on the block.
0image050ab6.jpg

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
whats that big round thing bolted below the VSV and to the right of the knock sensor?

and there were only 2 actual studs on my intake manifold... and then the two for the EGR.

NARSupra

Oct 19, 2008
Chico, CA
Rennat;1167797 said:
whats that big round thing bolted below the VSV and to the right of the knock sensor?

and there were only 2 actual studs on my intake manifold... and then the two for the EGR.

Well I'm just gonna go with all studs I think... and at the moment I'm at my night job and I don't have time to figure out what the big round thing is... this is the best I could find on short notice...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/dirgle/7mgevhremove1.jpg

NARSupra

Oct 19, 2008
Chico, CA
^ What he said... it was raining all day and my mom got rear-ended so I didn't get a chance to work on the supra... although I did get to pull a couple things from the yard for it.

NARSupra

Oct 19, 2008
Chico, CA
So after staying after hours all week here at the speed shop I've finished resealing the intake manifold, installing the rebuilt fuel injectors... and various other chores. However, after all this the car is surging. I checked the TPS its in spec, I played with adjusting the TPS and the idle speed screw to no avail.

Here's the troubleshooting list here from the factory manual online... but its for an 89...
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=16

Here's a vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc9ccHdk_Q8

Last edited:

NARSupra

Oct 19, 2008
Chico, CA
Not yet but I haven't had much time to diagnose things. Worked 70 hours this week. I'm driving it around anyways it runs smooth if I'm actually moving. :burnout:

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
NARSupra;1173543 said:
So after staying after hours all week here at the speed shop I've finished resealing the intake manifold, installing the rebuilt fuel injectors... and various other chores. However, after all this the car is surging. I checked the TPS its in spec, I played with adjusting the TPS and the idle speed screw to no avail.

Here's the troubleshooting list here from the factory manual online... but its for an 89...
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=16

Here's a vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc9ccHdk_Q8

I've found that normally that surging on an na is due to an air leak between the afm and the throttle body,make sure all of your boots have no small cracks in them.

NARSupra

Oct 19, 2008
Chico, CA
So this was the cause of my idle issue.... the Idle Control Valve. Which as you can see is totally corroded. :( Anyone have a good one they can sell me?
0image056hq4.jpg