The MK3 Investment....more expensive than children???

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
Hey everyone. I am running the numbers of my investment for my auto appraisal coming up probably next year, and am shocked on how much I'll have spent when the project is "finished." For me, it's looking to be about $30k.

How much have you spent? Reply so that I feel better!!! hahaha

I know that we could easily buy a newer/maybe more reliable & fancy sports car for this kind of money, but...we love MK3...

Oh, and let's not let our wives know...

crimson88

Apr 26, 2009
Springdale
im 17, and ive spent about 1,200 bucks on go fast parts and ive only had the car running for about six months. they may not seem like much to you all but for a 17 yr old with no job its about all the money ive got. lol. i can only imagine what that number will become once i have a steady income... :naughty:

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
we paid 3200 for gfs 88 supra.. spent maybe 500 in parts on it and cant get 3000 for it... and it still needs about 1000 in work if that to be nice daily driver

Now mine.. humm i got 7000-8000 in it..and it still needs few thousand left...easy to finish

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
If I had a 30k Supra budget I'd sell my car, buy the best condition manual turbo targa 1992 I could find, and then drop it off at Driftmotion to do a 2JZ swap with single turbo.

I think I'm near $5k + purchase cost on my car right now.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
crimson88;1381282 said:
im 17, and ive spent about 1,200 bucks on go fast parts and ive only had the car running for about six months. they may not seem like much to you all but for a 17 yr old with no job its about all the money ive got. lol. i can only imagine what that number will become once i have a steady income... :naughty:

I had an MK3 when I was 17 and I could barely keep it on the road, so...I understand where you're coming from...you'll get the income someday to do what you want...

Neodeuccio;1381295 said:
Purchase price + mods + repairs... Maybe 8 or 9 thousand.

And right now she needs a new engine.

My purchase price was 5k (too much for what I got 1k miles later...a nice car with a blown motor).

New Motor + needed engine components to be replaced 4k

Upgrades 10k probably when finished

paint/body 3-5k

other maintenance: 2-5k

lol...its scary

"If I had a 30k Supra budget I'd sell my car, buy the best condition manual turbo targa 1992 I could find, and then drop it off at Driftmotion to do a 2JZ swap with single turbo.

I think I'm near $5k + purchase cost on my car right now. "

I wish I had gone this route from the beginning lol...

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
my projected budget is similar to yours when mine is all said and done right now i probably have close to 10k in parts, machine work, and the cost of the car. and to make things even more expensive i grew a random hair up my ass and decided to build the head too, so add another grand or so with the valves, springs and machine work. siiiiggghhh i just want to hear it run!

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I have about $28000 in my car since 2002. Paid a lot for my 92 with 70k miles.

Any car you plan on seriously modding is going to get expensive (if you do it right and use quality parts), I don't care what car it is or what engine it has in it. So as long as you have the money, don't worry about it. Just remember, it's a toy, not an investment.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'm well above 25k into the car.

I also have children, and the car isn't even the same order of magnitude. My kids are 6 and 3, and to date I've already paid 40k just in daycare. I suspect I've spent more money on DIAPERS than I have on the car.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Investment....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

A better investment is to put that money under your matress. At least you won't lose money that way. :)

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
^ Wow you need to shorten your "hahaha" a bit, thats just annoying.

Paid $1600 for the car, Put 15,000km's on it since I bought it. Spent $600 on top of that so far. Heater core, Oil changes, Suspension bushings, Shift bushings, Thermostat, Coolant, Waterpump, Rad hoses, $80 used Catback exhaust, 3pc Wing, Mouldings/Trim, Crankcase vent hose. It needs tires now, and the Diff is dying(lots of back lash, LSD is iffy)

Last edited:

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
I just did a quick tally...

In addition to the cost of the car, around $10,000 CAD and 10,000+ USD. (in the last 3 years)

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
This is all in Canadian dollars, but here we go...

Car Purchase - $5500

Repairs - $5200
Go Faster Parts - $500
General Maintenance - $350

Most of the repairs were done by a mechanic though...so that makes for a LOT of the cost. Needless to say I'm going to be doing a lot of my own work from now on...seeing as I'm in the middle of doing a head replacement. On the brighter side, my car had a lot of "Go Faster" parts when I purchased it. I've got well over $10K in receipts from previous owner(s).