The MK3 Investment....more expensive than children???

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
bigaaron;1381762 said:
Yes, those are actually the same set of wheels in both pics :) 5Zigen FN01R-C

I think possibly the most important thing to look for when buying a MK3 these days is good window trim! If the trim is all in good shape it makes the car look so much nicer.
On my black car the plastic was chipping off the trim so I peeled the rest off and painted it a semi gloss black, I thought it looked pretty good. Also important is NO RUST and a nice dash (it's a pain in the ass to remove it and find a good replacement).

The new Sparco "Steel" seats are really nice for the money, a pair with sliders and MK3 brackets is only around $850.
Was your trim chrome underneath the plastic coating? How did you get paint to stick to it?

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
crisp;1381923 said:
^^^ LOL! At 17, you have a good start on the money pit you will come to love and hate the rest of your wrenching days... good luck, hope you can keep it and enjoy it for a long time. (Get ready to sacrifice many OTHER things that COULD have been... as the SUPRA is a SYNDROME that will infect you terminally.;))

-crisp

Haha i have already sacrificed enough, that is why im going to get the loan and just pay it like another car payment (since the supra is paid off) it's just like having to pay for an 8k car except mine, to me, will be worth more! The car has already pissed me off while working on it, but after it's done i couldn't be happier! I cannot wait to see what it becomes, aiming for 500-600whp, 12's or lower in the 1/4 but a DD during summer. Sorry for the long post, i just can't say enough about the car.

-james

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
Got 17K into it so far. Needs another 10K at least. Hey at least I can get maybe 8K back if I ever sell it! No wonder I'm not a financial advisor! :3d_frown: But hey, it's a Supra, and I am unfortunately (or fortunately), addicted. At least the engine's rebuilt, and it has suspension, a good clutch and a front bbk. Needs paint and body, and more subframe work among a few other things.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Without tallying it, i reckon I'm at around $15,000, including the purchase price.

Have a fair bit more to go before it's done.

My daughter is only 15 months, but already spent more than triple that on her.

You don't achieve income or growth on a car, so it is not an investment.

If you think it is, you're severely deluded.

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
about 4000 in parts and its a basic bpu 7mgte..........and its still not running..........

the 4 includes alot of electronic goodies wheels and im getting started on a 89+ conversion.

crimson88

Apr 26, 2009
Springdale
mine with purchase+repairs+maintenance+go fast parts is just over 5k. and everyday i look up and plan what im going to buy next. :]

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Wow, I'm over $14,000 in my car over the past 6 years (including the cost of the car). A paintjob, proper headgasket + headbolts, exhaust, turbo, etc really adds up fast.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
It's good to see we're all in the same boat together...

My first born is due in 7 months...i'm pretty sure that my priorities will change drastically by then...and if they don't my wife will have my balls in a vice! haha

I'm going to stick to my 5 year supra plan and hope it gets done before they stop finding oil to make gas out of...then it's time to mod for electric power or bio diesal lol