The MK3 Investment....more expensive than children???

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
...er... over the fourteen years I've had it, including the purchase price?

ONE KERJILLION DOLLARS... and counting.:1zhelp:

-crisp

Ozz89supra

Ozzy
Feb 22, 2009
Phoenix
Im 18 and I bought my car for 4k since I bought it I keep a list of everything I have bought and its a total of $2,566.94

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
Oh yeah... forgot to mention the KIDS...

...that would be SEVERAL KERJILLION DOLLARS... with NO END IN SIGHT!:1zhelp:

-crisp

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
i can barely afford to keep my car on the road :(
spent $1500 to buy my 87 turbo. spent probably $1500 on parts alone (no go fast parts)!!
and its still not running good yet.. im 19 and i had my car since this may.. and drove it only for 3 weeks... since i got it.. $$$$$$ why did i get myself into this LOL
i wish i could just win the lottery and drop it off somewhere.. tell them i want about 400hp and to do what ever it takes :biglaugh:

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
hmm lets see bought her for 9k, put about 2-3k in to her plus my new turbo engine getting machined and rebuilt 2-3kball park 15k total and at least another 15k into her when i come home from the sand box

bought her at 18 on had it running maby 4 months total since i bought her 3 years ago

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I traded a new turbo for my current Supra as a rolling chassis, and all the upgrade stuff for it came off my last Supra which I sold, so other then the 1jz long block, I actually spent very little this time around. :) Although if I had to build one exactly like it from scratch I would guess it would be around $14k. Maybe we're spoiled around here but I got my current one cheap and my first Supra was $1400 and I overpaid.

Here's what I would do if I was going to do another one for myself:
Buy a mk3 with decent grey dash but messed up seats and carpet and a bhg (so it's cheap!), put a $125 eBay black carpet kit and some Sparco seats, and a $1000 Earl Scheib paint job (if needed), rip out all the plastic and carpet bs behind the back seats and limo tint the back window, and slap a 1jz or 2jz in it, and you got yourself a fun car that you will not be embarrassed to be seen in!

LAYZORBEEMZ

JZX73 owner
Jun 28, 2009
Maple Ridge, B.C.
bigaaron;1381744 said:
I traded a new turbo for my current Supra as a rolling chassis, and all the upgrade stuff for it came off my last Supra which I sold, so other then the 1jz long block, I actually spent very little this time around. :) Although if I had to build one exactly like it from scratch I would guess it would be around $14k. Maybe we're spoiled around here but I got my current one cheap and my first Supra was $1400 and I overpaid.

Here's what I would do if I was going to do another one for myself:
Buy a mk3 with decent grey dash but messed up seats and carpet and a bhg (so it's cheap!), put a $125 eBay black carpet kit and some Sparco seats, and a $1000 Earl Scheib paint job (if needed), rip out all the plastic and carpet bs behind the back seats and limo tint the back window, and slap a 1jz or 2jz in it, and you got yourself a fun car that you will not be embarrassed to be seen in!

it'd look sick, how easy is it to install the carpet??

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I had a upholstry place do a fairly professional install on the ebay carpet kit for $125 iirc, it came out suprisingly nice!

Here's the current car:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here's the old one:
p1381751_1.jpg

I've had lots of fun in both cars and neither had an expensive paint job or anything crazy looks wise. The wheels are light, wide, and cheap. I have never been a fan of the uber expensive wheels.

Ozz89supra

Ozzy
Feb 22, 2009
Phoenix
bigaaron;1381751 said:
I had a upholstry place do a fairly professional install on the ebay carpet kit for $125 iirc, it came out suprisingly nice!

Here's the current car:
p1381758_1.jpg

Here's the old one:
p1381758_2.jpg

I've had lots of fun in both cars and neither had an expensive paint job or anything crazy looks wise. The wheels are light, wide, and cheap. I have never been a fan of the uber expensive wheels.

Does the red car have 5zigen wheels??? I like the way the look :love:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Yes, those are actually the same set of wheels in both pics :) 5Zigen FN01R-C

I think possibly the most important thing to look for when buying a MK3 these days is good window trim! If the trim is all in good shape it makes the car look so much nicer.
On my black car the plastic was chipping off the trim so I peeled the rest off and painted it a semi gloss black, I thought it looked pretty good. Also important is NO RUST and a nice dash (it's a pain in the ass to remove it and find a good replacement).

The new Sparco "Steel" seats are really nice for the money, a pair with sliders and MK3 brackets is only around $850.

LAYZORBEEMZ

JZX73 owner
Jun 28, 2009
Maple Ridge, B.C.
bigaaron;1381762 said:
Yes, those are actually the same set of wheels in both pics :) 5Zigen FN01R-C

I think possibly the most important thing to look for when buying a MK3 these days is good window trim! If the trim is all in good shape it makes the car look so much nicer.
On my black car the plastic was chipping off the trim so I peeled the rest off and painted it a semi gloss black, I thought it looked pretty good. Also important is NO RUST and a nice dash (it's a pain in the ass to remove it and find a good replacement).

well what if the dash just has a couple of scuffs or scratches? can't you just repaint it or dye it?

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
MROsborne;1381764 said:
well what if the dash just has a couple of scuffs or scratches? can't you just repaint it or dye it?

Yeah that would probably be cool, but if it's all cracked maybe not. All the other parts are usually pretty easy to find good used or aftermarket replacements for.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
crimson88;1381282 said:
im 17, and ive spent about 1,200 bucks on go fast parts and ive only had the car running for about six months. they may not seem like much to you all but for a 17 yr old with no job its about all the money ive got. lol. i can only imagine what that number will become once i have a steady income... :naughty:

Im also 17, i have around 5 or 6k + purchase, havent even put more than 5k on it since i bought it! Spent all my money that was saved up, now going paycheck by paycheck. Getting ready to take a loan out for about 8k to put into my supra.

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
*james*;1381912 said:
Im also 17, i have around 5 or 6k + purchase, havent even put more than 5k on it since i bought it! Spent all my money that was saved up, now going paycheck by paycheck. Getting ready to take a loan out for about 8k to put into my supra.

^^^ LOL! At 17, you have a good start on the money pit you will come to love and hate the rest of your wrenching days... good luck, hope you can keep it and enjoy it for a long time. (Get ready to sacrifice many OTHER things that COULD have been... as the SUPRA is a SYNDROME that will infect you terminally.;))

-crisp