The Luxocruiser 3650 lb sled thread

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I have decided to post a few notes and pictures of my "in no hurry" build up. My car will remain as Motor Trend coined it, Muscle Meets Manners. That isn't to say someday I go for a bigger than CT flanged turbo. Time will tell.

I started with the HKS off road down pipe. It is a 75mm pipe, with a flex section, and catless. There are better pipes, but this one is cheap. Unlike everything else from HK$. As you know, it does not come with an integrated elbow.

P1020004.JPG

In between hot rod parts is necessary maintenance. The turbo runs hot under that hood. There are many hoses that have gotten hard. So I will be replacing them. One was the accordian pipe.

nicks part 1.jpg

At SILV 06, my car got hot. I thought I was going to be like some of you and cause a failure. I got lucky. More on that in a minute. I had the car in storage for the most part since I got it. The fan clutch was soft and old, I blew the heater hose, and the radiator cap came apart. All on the trip. I had had the temp needle 3/4 to 4/5 up the guage. I thought I would lose the gasket. The head and block being dissimliar metals will bend irregularly. Like a circuit breaker. That is one of the reasons over heating compromises the cylinder. But I didn't and couldn't figure out why. Tonight I did.

I devolped an exhaust leak near the head. I had to start it cold and feel around. Worse case scenario. The manifold gasket busted a nut at the rear. So I get to pull it all apart. As long as I am in there, I will do some cleaning with WD40 and a tooth brush. What I discover was suprsing but good. A previous owner, probably the first, installed a metal head gasket. :biglaugh:

You can see it in the mirror. You can also see my nice shiny coolant pipes. :icon_bigg I will be cleaning that block more. I also will dump the factory remote filter for a relocated filter and full flow temp controlled cooler.

P1040614.JPG

And of course the remote mount is going the way of the donkey.

P1040603.JPG

Perma cool 10695, Perma cool thermostat-180 degrees, B& M Super cooler, about the size of the stock oil cooler.

As long as I have the car partially apart, I did some more. I picked up the Lex replica from Supra Sport. Nice piece. Since my accordian hose is new, it fit right on.

P1040594.JPG

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Here is the new hose over the meter.

P1040606.JPG

And what good is the meter without the correct injectors? They were a little different from what I am used to seeing. I had to ask the doc a question about them. RC injectors, 550cc.

P1040596.JPG

To go with the downpipe, I installed the 75mm turbo exhaust from HKS. This is a nicer piece than the downpipe. It is a straight through muffler also.

HKS exhaust.JPG

That is all for now. Up next, possibly a BOSS series turbo and better intercooler.

Last edited:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
You're off to a great start, Nick. :) You're going to love the power increase from simply adding a downpipe. I know you've already got all the exhaust stuff worked out, but something that doesn't bottleneck near the flex sections would be better. (Not that you don't already know that, but just figured I'd throw it out there in case you happen across a good deal)

Do you have an upgraded turbo elbow? It's a night and day difference with simply replacing that alone!

88tsupra

Mar 21, 2007
long beach
I love the stock look on the exhaust. I've never seen that one on the HKS website though. Good luck with your build up.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
Cool to see you participating in the build section Nick....very nice! I started with the same downpipe, and when my goals increased, I just made a custom elbow off the turbo and eliminated the restrictive portion of th HKS with stainless flex....a little work, but cheap.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Today!

Well, not really. I just wanted to be like IJ. I had a spare elbow and ported it with the die grinder and carbide tip at work one day a few years back. Not a full cut and reweld, but a noticably bigger hole than stock.

I will run that until I change the turbo. If I change the turbo.

88tsupra;966238 said:
I love the stock look on the exhaust. I've never seen that one on the HKS website though. Good luck with your build up.

So do I. Not only does it look stock, it sounds stock. Only a careful observer can tell it is a little deeper than a Cressida. At WOT, the 7M whir easily over powers the muffler noise.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The oil filter relocation kit 10695 from Perma cool is on back order, and so is the Summit racing kit built by Perma Cool. So I cant finish that part yet. But I pulled the stock oil cooler and installed the B&M Super Cooler. I bought one of very similar dimensions to the stock unit. It has to fit in the same spot for me. It will cool much better than stock as the core is twice as thick, and a better design. Take note in the cooler you buy. Some are only meant for Dexron type ATF, which flows much easier than engine oil.

P1040656.JPG

Here is the cooler itself. I picked up the NPT to 1/2 hose adapters, as the Perma Cool kit has 1/2 96" long hose in it.

P1040657.JPG

This is the Perma Cool 185 degree thermostat. I thought an inside picture would be nice for those that don't have one, haven't seen it. When the engine is cold, the oil goes right to the fitler, skipping the cooler.

P1040663.JPG

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Nick M;968437 said:
The oil filter relocation kit 10695 from Perma cool is on back order, and so is the Summit racing kit built by Perma Cool. So I cant finish that part yet. But I pulled the stock oil cooler and installed the B&M Super Cooler. I bought one of very similar dimensions to the stock unit. It has to fit in the same spot for me. It will cool much better than stock as the core is twice as thick, and a better design. Take note in the cooler you buy. Some are only meant for Dexron type ATF, which flows much easier than engine oil.

View attachment 20732

Here is the cooler itself. I picked up the NPT to 1/2 hose adapters, as the Perma Cool kit has 1/2 96" long hose in it.

View attachment 20733

This is the Perma Cool 185 degree thermostat. I thought an inside picture would be nice for those that don't have one, haven't seen it. When the engine is cold, the oil goes right to the fitler, skipping the cooler.

View attachment 20735

Hmm, would there be any way to plumb it so it will always pass through the filter before the oil cooler? Or a second filter before the oil cooler... I haven't done much reading on relocation and aftermarket coolers but it would be nice to keep that nice new oil cooler clean over time.

Just my random thoughts... Awesome build so far, very mild, very thought out build for a street driven supra!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
fiyota;968585 said:
Hmm, would there be any way to plumb it so it will always pass through the filter before the oil cooler? Or a second filter before the oil cooler... I haven't done much reading on relocation and aftermarket coolers but it would be nice to keep that nice new oil cooler clean over time.

Just my random thoughts... Awesome build so far, very mild, very thought out build for a street driven supra!

What if you have a very small leak like I have now? If the hose is wet, dirt is getting in.

Permal cool shows it like you suggest in the suggestion for the thermostat. So it can be done. I will probably filter just before the engine.

edit: Here you go.

perma&

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I mocked up a fitment of the cooler and realized I needed a 90 degree elbow on the NPT fitting. What was I thinking. So I replaced it and installed it today. The holes are 83mm apart for the mount. Or 8.3cm with a tape measure. Or just trace the holes from the original if measuring is too hard for you.

oil&

Ugly stock intercooler. That will be going away, even if the CT26 is not.

I took the stock remote filter mount off. It is a 24mm bolt for future refrence. If anybody hasn't removed it yet. The filter stud is 27mm. While you are in there, change the gaskets. No reason to reuse them, unless they are perfect.

oil%20filter%20stud.jpg

This is looking up at the passenger headlight hole. The remote mount from Perma Cool is going here. The thermostat will go along the bottom of the intercooler, where the old oil cooler lines were. Maybe.

remote%20location.jpg

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The 90 is on the upper. Yeah, they are 1/2 inch. It is bigger than stock. I can't see an issue with flow for the cooler. To tell you the truth, I hadn't even thought of running the upper or lower as in or out. The cooler came with 1/2 NPT female. So I am leaving them at that.

Why do you think the elbow is going to hurt it so much?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nick: The 1/2npt part is fine.

The 1/2" 90 elbow is equal to an extra 10 feet of 1/2" hose restriction wise.

I try to use 90 sweeps if possible and went to -10 for all of my Oil cooler/filter fittings.
(you still need to add 370 Lb's to be like me ;) )

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Wow Nick! I remember at SILV06' you pulled up next to my car, opened the hood and started spinning the fan by hand lol. I guess it really was the clutch. ;) This must be a big deal for you! I know how much you like your stock Supra lol.

If you're going to replace the downpipe, you definitely should get one with an integrated elbow, or maybe a LIPP 3" elbow...it honestly makes a huge difference, I gained at least 30hp by installing a 3" downpipe w/integrated elbow. Oh, and nice find on the Metal HG! :aigo:

Reactions: Nick M

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
IJ.;969790 said:
Nick: The 1/2npt part is fine.

The 1/2" 90 elbow is equal to an extra 10 feet of 1/2" hose restriction wise.

Maybe I am wrong, but with the stock GTE oil pump pushing oil out to the new and improved lines(bigger) and the full flow thermostat and cooler, I think I will be ok. At least I hope so. Speaking of lines, mine are 96", or 8'. I will probably need all of it, and then some with the filter under the headlight. Point taken though. Thanks.

I will also continue to hack away with the WD40 and toothbrush at the grime. I got a great deal of it off the block already.