The answer to my 3 months long oil issue...

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
I typically install valve seals the way Adjuster posted, install the seal first, lube the valve, and push it up through the seal with my finger over the end of the seal. Works beautifully IMO.

In this case, there's absolutely no excuse for the valve seals to look like that. I'd definitely take it back to them and show them what happened.

Definitely tear down the rest of the engine, check all your clearances, ring gap, everything, unless you already checked it already when you assembled it. Cross that, check everything again anyways.

Jeff

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You'll still cut the seal on the sharp edge of the valvestem.

There is a reason the seals come with a couple "condoms" as IJ says that are plastic and go over the valvestem which have a taper so they don't cut anything.

It's easier than you'd think...

I lost my first engine because of the valve stem seals I'm almost positive of it. Most of mine had no seal material left...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Rennat;1209333 said:
my knowledge may not be as great as IJ's and your's (jdub) but i try to learn, and i post, and i may look like a total ass, but i learn from it, im here to learn and find out what works the best, and how to do stuff the right way.

It's NOT so much that my "knowledge" is "great" it's that I try NOT to post if I haven't had personal experience with the issue at hand and If I do post something I have a very good reason why based on fact and not something I pulled out of my ass ;)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
^^^ Ditto ;)

I agree with the other guys...you do have a expectation of at least the level of competence to do the job. Take the head to the shop and see what they say.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Doward;1209344 said:
They were not installed correctly.

The way I've taken to installing them on the 7M (as they are VERY easy to rip) is to install them without the valve in place, put my finger over the seal, and SLOWLY bring the valve back up and through the guide/seal.

Oh, and a little oil goes a very long way here ;)

You know what.

i do it this way. (and i didn't even think of this happening.) :biglaugh:

Or well i am going to do it this way.

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
Every time that a shop has done something wrong to one of my vehicles, they have denied it being their problem.

Even when I was working for a dealership, and I would tell my manager that I had personally done something wrong to someone's vehicle, the manager would then say, "it is no longer our problem." Dismissal seems to be the most common answer from most shops... it is disgusting.

But... there are good shops out there - you just gotta FIND them.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Setheroo;1209675 said:
Every time that a shop has done something wrong to one of my vehicles, they have denied it being their problem.

Even when I was working for a dealership, and I would tell my manager that I had personally done something wrong to someone's vehicle, the manager would then say, "it is no longer our problem." Dismissal seems to be the most common answer from most shops... it is disgusting.

But... there are good shops out there - you just gotta FIND them.

In a nutshell, that's what I said

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Jeff, where did adjuster post that? ;)

Seriously, you have PAID for a specific piece of work to be accomplished. That work was done INCORRECTLY. If you let them slide on it, the next guy is going to do the same thing.

I do things right, the FIRST time, because if I have to go back and re-do something, it is on my dime - and that cuts where it hurts the most: my bottom line.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Goto Better Buisness Bureal and file a formal complaint against the shop so people could at least do research and find this out save others from this possibilty also they might help you out.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE;1210401 said:
Goto Better Buisness Bureal and file a formal complaint against the shop so people could at least do research and find this out save others from this possibilty also they might help you out.

Might see if they can do anything with that faulty spellcheck you bought ;)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Funny looking maybe ;)

Seriously, the best guys out there barely advertise - they usually have so much work to do, they've got loooong wait times as it is. I have no problems with that, if it means my work is done right the first time ;)