The answer to my 3 months long oil issue...

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
Well i discovered after switching to german castrol 0-30, that i no longer smoged... until i would only get 20psi of oil pressure... well i had to add 4qts in order to get back above the "full line".... so assuming that, i only had 2quarts of oil in my engine... now how in the world did i burn 4qts of oil in less than 1000 miles? well heres your answer.

incompetant retards who dont know how to assemble basic engine parts.

basically, who ever put in my valve stem seals (part of my $500 valve job), didnt know wtf he was doing... ONLY number 6 didnt leak THAT bad... still had two that were not right, but i had one seal which and NO metal spring or rubber portion around the valve, i had another seal that was completely seperate from the metal and was riding up the valve shaft... so basically i was sucking in massive amounts of oil... but i never smoked with german castrol, only with regular castrol gtx and castrol 30w... and mind you out of 24, only 2 were "good"... the rest were at various levels of "cookie monster"... they had half of the seal ripped off... me and my dad were in amazement as i took out the seals.

so this is why i had a good leak down, because my rings are seated, its just that my valve stem seals are basically nonexsistant...

moral of the story: buy the tools and do the job yourself, dont trust shit to anybody who "knows his stuff".... and thats what im doing, i bought the seals, and a gasket kit, and im doing the job myself.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1208863_1.jpg

p1208863_2.jpg

p1208863_3.jpg

p1208863_4.jpg

p1208863_5.jpg

p1208863_6.jpg

p1208863_7.jpg

p1208863_8.jpg

p1208863_9.jpg

p1208863_10.jpg

p1208863_11.jpg

p1208863_12.jpg

p1208863_13.jpg

p1208863_14.jpg

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
my thoughts exactly... but how they managed to completely RIP one and not do anything about is beyond me...

defintaley learned my lesson when it comes to machine shops...
im happy its not my rings though. :biglaugh:

oh, and they were "high qualit viton rubber seals" just like the ones suprarich sells... and i doubt he would sell a garbage product.

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
I would never pay anyone to work on my engine, I always do everything myself. At least that way you know what your getting.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i've thought about going back... but im sure they'll pull the shit that, they didnt assemble the whole engine, so who knows what could have happened once i got it home... and i just honestly dont feel like ever dealing with that "shop" again...

im going to redo the seals, redo the shims, and put it all back together myself. no more of this shop nonsense.

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
well did you check with the reputation of the shop? I understand a lot of people are DIY'ers and definitely nothing wrong with that. I don't think it's fair to say bad things about ALL shops, because of one or two shit bags.

I will say though, it sucks to pay for something, and not get what you paid for.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
ihiryu;1209003 said:
well did you check with the reputation of the shop? I understand a lot of people are DIY'ers and definitely nothing wrong with that. I don't think it's fair to say bad things about ALL shops, because of one or two shit bags.

I will say though, it sucks to pay for something, and not get what you paid for.

im just frustrated with the whole situation... im not saying all shops are bad, its just the guy who ran this one made it sound like he knew what he was doing, he even had a supra head on the counter when i got there that was ready to be picked up and it looked really good.

i guess i just got the friday 5pm special... :3d_frown:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
I'd at the very least write them a letter, include pics and demand my money back. That's only fair.

Please post this up in shop reviews so people know to avoid these monkeys. Post the name and address of the shop as well so people know who these idiots are.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
Unbelievable! I've never seen a head leak like that before.

I'd defiantly be showing those pics (or bring the head up there to show them that), and I'd be getting my money back from them. If they want to fight you about the money, then you can always settle it in small claims court.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
IJ.;1208872 said:
A lot of shops employ trained apes to do what they see as menial work.

"any idiot can install stem seals".......

And as you've just found NO any idiot can't ;)

It's true, we have people like that working or running machine shops. :3d_frown:

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
deabionni;1209054 said:
Unbelievable! I've never seen a head leak like that before.

I'd defiantly be showing those pics (or bring the head up there to show them that), and I'd be getting my money back from them. If they want to fight you about the money, then you can always settle it in small claims court.
You guys are gonna hate me for saying this:
I'm with you and Supra central. Although I think it's an up hill battle. I'd say the majority of us has had experience with Small claims court. I can just picture it now:

The shop: "We didn't do that" or "It's not our fault, those are inferior seals" (unless it was their rebuild kit). Or they'll say "Well you drove the car for a thousand miles why didn't bring it in sooner"
Picture: "That's someone else's engine". Rennat MAY have a tuff time proving that it was installed improperly ( I think). I just saying these things , is because I know shops are, no one's gonna admit "wrong doing" It's never "their" fault. Also the "Burden of proof is on "Rennat" No one wants to owe people money, and have their name got to shit. As I've said, I'd diffenitly go for it, I'd write them a letter and ask for money back, doing some thing is better than not doing anything. I think it's very winable.
Rennat: First off: I want to say that I have a lot of respect for everyone here. Being I'm noober, You know your stuff. Your gonna think I'm giving you a hard time, I'm not.
Just wondering,.. You drove the car for a thousand miles, but didn't you notice blue smoke? What about your bearings? I mean you already have your engine torn apart this far you shouldn't you, maybe check your bearings? I can't imagine two quarts of oil servicing the whole engine. Yes I understand this happened over a period of time. Honestly: from a member to another, I can't tell ya enough, I'm on your side. "Good luck!!!""

Last edited:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Koenigturbo;1209095 said:
....you know your stuff. Your gonna think I'm giving you a hard time, I'm not.

That's debatable and I am...hopefully to point out a couple things that Rennat does that can contribute to this kind of thing.

First, Rennat has a tendency to go with the lowest cost part and/or service provider. The key here is cost...you get exactly what you pay for whether it's a machine shop or the part. Now you know why I use Toyota seals and yes, they cost more.

Second, Rennat has posted on numerous occasions in the Tech section about things it was obvious that he did not know how it actually works. Myself, IJ and other mods have corrected him many times. You could help yourself Rennat by reading and learning vs the "let's pull something out of my arse" method.

Third, there are a few folks on here that really know what they are talking about and when they tell you to use a certain part and install it this way, there is usually a very good reason for it. Even though it is a higher cost. There's a huge difference in "cheap" and value for the $$$...cheap usually means you get to do it again and suddenly, the price more than doubles.

I don't know if it was the seals themselves or the installation that caused this. In either case, I do suspect that the standard Rennat "you can get (or do it) it cheaper than that" view was a contributing factor. You pay an incompetent machinist exactly what he's worth.

Sorry for being blunt...sometimes a wake-up call is in order.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
Jdub... i didnt cheap out at all when it came to the machine shop, i forked out $1300 to have it done "right"... the SHOP installed the seals, checked over the head, and were suppose to do the shim adjustment. The one thing they did good was to deck the head super flat, and a really smooth finish.

and these were "viton rubber stem seals" that i purchased on here from another user, they are IDENTICAL in packaging to the ones suprarich sells...
i have since bought some fel-pro ones, because i dont want any issues.

my knowledge may not be as great as IJ's and your's (jdub) but i try to learn, and i post, and i may look like a total ass, but i learn from it, im here to learn and find out what works the best, and how to do stuff the right way.

honestly, if i had done the valve job, and i had done all of the machine work, i would say a "wake up call" is in order... but i paid a supposed "skilled" machinist to do this daily job, and HE failed at that.

all i know is that its getting fixed, put back together with the right tools, and the right way as to not rip the seals, and im going to keep enjoying the supra.

KOE - i still have plastigage left over from the rebuild, i just gotta find it and im gonna check over the bearings and what not. im not too worried about them... but the smoke issue was ONLY when i had "dino" oil in the car, once i went to castrol syntec 0-30, no smoke... so i thought my problem had gone, or my rings had finally seated (or something). Compression came back good, leak down excellent, so i was left with the stem seals, which made no sense, but it all does now.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
They were not installed correctly.

The way I've taken to installing them on the 7M (as they are VERY easy to rip) is to install them without the valve in place, put my finger over the seal, and SLOWLY bring the valve back up and through the guide/seal.

Oh, and a little oil goes a very long way here ;)

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Doward;1209344 said:
They were not installed correctly.

This about covers it. No matter what you pay someone for machine work and assembly, you have a right to expect at least a basic level of competence.

(However problems like the one above are the reason why I only use one machinist and pay him top dollar)

If I were you Rennat, I'd re-spec and re-mic everything in that motor. If these gorillas can do that to a valve stem seal install, there's no telling what other sloppy work they may have turned over to you.