Thank you sir may I have another...

jmoneydtb

Old Skool Kool Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006
mobile, al
Yeah, having to take apart something in order to fix the bad or stupid crap always makes for a great excuse to upgrade something! Glad to hear your ok too! I just saw something about the storms a bit ago.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Well a little update. Ms Monroe is in the shop getting some wiring issues sorted out. Seems she has problems turning off when the key is shut off. Will probably also have the lower ball joints and tie rods replaced. I am missing her something fierce. I need boost!

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Well the wiring issues seem to be sorted out except for the cruise control. I need to investigate why it will sometimes turn on and sometimes it will not. It never will engage though.

Anyway:

I just want to remind everyone that it's the littlest of things that can make you feel good about your car.

BEFORE:

p1842832_1.jpg

AFTER:

p1842832_2.jpg

p1842832_3.jpg

p1842832_4.jpg

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Well I'm not sure who still pays any attention to this thread but I'll update it.

First off, the car runs like a champ. I've recently replaced the inner/outer tie rods on the passenger side, both lower ball joints and had the wheels aligned. People, I can't find the words to tell you how much those things made a difference. The car drives incredibly now. It doesn't vere all over the road now when I'm boosting.

I bought some 91-92 stock supra 5-spokes for it and some center caps. They were painted black...poorly...so I've got to paint them silver and get new tires for them. I want the car to have a stock sleeper look.

I took some leather inserts from some 91 door panels and put them on mine. And I also bought some rear ones off a member here. The originals had faded out to a teal color. Didn't like it at all.

I bought a turbo blanket for it and some heat wrap for the downpipe. My speedometer broke...again:: angry ::. I think since the cable is pretty much on top of the downpipe under the car it's cooking it. So I'm going to just replace all the parts of the cable and wrap the downpipe under the car. Hopefully that'll help.

I still need to get the AC flushed, sealed and gassed back up. Also the cruise control isn't working and I'll need to investigate that.

I am extremely particular about how my car drives down the road. I also like everything that is supposed to work...to work. I don't know how some of you young-uns can spend all your money on go fast goodies and not spend any time/money on fixing the rest of the car. These are nice cars folks.

I've got an array of goodies laying around the house for it that need to be installed.

1. I've got a new antenna mast for the power antenna. The motor still works it just needs a new mast.

2. I've got a lower mileage 3.73 LSD to put on it. The one currently on it works fine. I roasted the tires in front of my house last night and both were spinning. It just leaks real bad around the axel shafts. I'm going to reseal it and keep it as a spare.

3. I've also got a brand new, just arrived today via UPS, one piece steel driveshaft from Shaftmasters. My stock two piece is wore the fuck out and driving over 70 mph the car becomes unstable vibrating so bad. The center bearing is pretty much non-existent.

4. This is what I'm most excited about. I've got a full leather replacement for the front and rear seats. I won an ebay auction from a newer company called seats01 I think. I can't remember exactly. The leather looks a darker blue than stock but it's geniune leather and smells soooo good. I can not wait to get those installed. I just need to go buy some hog ring pliers and hog rings. I will also need some foam as the drivers seat is tore up really bad.

What's that you ask?? Pictures?? Oh yeah. Well you'll have to wait :evil2: I'll post some up as things get done. I miss the good ole days when Kristel aka lillmiss from down under used to congratulate everyone with boobies in their build threads. I dont' think she hangs around in here anymore. :cry: At least she's on Facebook.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Don't have much in the way of pics here lately but here are a couple.

Love driving topless on moonlit nights.
p1872674_1.jpg

Also I'm slowly working on repainting my 5 spokes so I can get new tires on them and then put them on the car.
p1872674_2.jpg

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Damn, I've missed some posts in here! I will admit guilt.

I really like the cleaned up console/pillar pod job you did there. That looks MUCH better. Also, I'm a big fan of stock looking too. Those 5-spokes should look really good on the white car. BTW..I've always wanted those wheels you currently have, what are you doing with them? I think I have convinced myself I want a deeeeeper lip though.

And, I still have 3-4 cruise control units, but none of them have an unbroken piece where the cable comes out. I've seen several like that work fine. If you want to try to see if one would cure your problems, just send me your shipping address. I'm sure I owe you at least that much.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Scott, I'll probably sell those wheels/tire that are on it now. I'd like to keep 'em but they'll just be taking up space in the garage. If you think you might be interested let me know.

I'll pm you my address and gladly try one of those cruise control units. I can't be sure the unit is the only problem though. The cruise on/off light on the dash rarely lights up and I've changed switches with no difference. Even when it does show to be "on" it won't engage.

I'm waiting on a complete speedometer setup to come from Driftmotion before I tackle anything under the car i.e. driveshaft, diff, and tranny mount. I've got some heat wrap I'm going to put around the downpipe and speedo cable so hopefully that'll save the cable from getting cooked and breaking.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
gtsfirefighter;1842832 said:

This picture brings 2 questions to my mind.

1. The aftermarket boost gauge is showing -20 (meaning it is running), while your stock gauge is reading 0. Is that just another case of a garbage stock gauge?

2. And, looking again at the stock gauge, what the hell is -4? Would that mean that each 1 is equal to 5? And if so, would +8 also equate to +40? Just trying to make logical sense out of things.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
The car is running and the stock boost is connected. Notice the suitcase on the passenger side (I had the back full of parts Jay had given me). I took that picture while driving back from Alabama. The deal was the vacuum lines at the time I bought the car where everywhere but where they should've been. No emissions in good ole Alabammy. I've since had everything put back in order and believe it or not, the stock boost gauge and the aftermarket one are pretty much spot on with each other. I know I need a better aftermarket boost gauge but the Faze is doing just fine for now. For the money a good one cost, it's low on the priority list. When I get the car sorted for the most part then I'll upgrade it.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Just a little update.

I've been trying to recover the seats with some new leather I got. It's been a very slow process and frustrating. I'm halfway done with the back seats.

I replaced the tranny mount and the entire speedometer cable set up including that little elbow on the tranny.

Also I put a nice new one piece driveshaft on it. I can now drive above 60mph without the car feeling like it it's going to vibrate off the highway. The center bearing on the stock shaft was SHOT!
I've got a lower mileage diff sitting in my living room that I'm going to put on it and when I do that I'll replace the half shafts as well. I'm thinking that they are pretty wore as well.

Currently, the car sits in the garage with a bad BOV. It's got a Tial bov that vents to atmosphere. After Christmas I'll replace it with a new recirculating one. Current one leaks causing it run very very rich and the car always stumbles or dies after suddenly letting off the gas. The idle is a little erratic at times too. The one I'm looking at is $259 so the kids Christmas gifts will come first of course. It's another Tial brand since I already have the flange for it.

Once I get the seats finished I'll put up some new pics. TX2K13 is right around the corner so the car has to be READY!!!:naughty:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
You know, if the only problem with your diff is the axle seals, you can replace them while the diff is in the car.
Just a thought.

57trimMKIII

Texas Supras' Slowest
Jul 14, 2010
DFW, TX
Loving the progress so far!

gtsfirefighter;1896177 said:
Also I put a nice new one piece driveshaft on it. I can now drive above 60mph without the car feeling like it it's going to vibrate off the highway. The center bearing on the stock shaft was SHOT!

That's something that's been on my to-do list for a while now... :nono:

gtsfirefighter;1896177 said:
TX2K13 is right around the corner so the car has to be READY!!! :naughty:

Bad ass! Maybe we'll bump into eachother at TX2K13

Zumtizzle;1872796 said:
Get a nicer boost gauge!

I have a Defi Blue Racer boost gauge I can bring with me, if you'd like.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
supraguy@aol;1896202 said:
You know, if the only problem with your diff is the axle seals, you can replace them while the diff is in the car.
Just a thought.

I have given that some thought as well. :)

57trimMKIII;1896214 said:
Bad ass! Maybe we'll bump into eachother at TX2K13

I have a Defi Blue Racer boost gauge I can bring with me, if you'd like.

Yeah, bring it with you and I'll take a look. I usually go through Bryan/College Station when I go down to the Supra meets. I hate driving I-45.

57trimMKIII

Texas Supras' Slowest
Jul 14, 2010
DFW, TX
gtsfirefighter;1897302 said:
I usually go through Bryan/College Station when I go down to the Supra meets. I hate driving I-45.

I grew up in The Woodlands, so I feel right at home on I-45 :bigthumb:

Now that I'm living in BCS though, I also take 6 to 159 to 36 to I-10

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Progress looks awesome Ken. I wish you lived closer and I would pay you to fix mine like you did Mrs. Monroe.

As for the bov, that's the new Tial Q style. I've had my tial for six years and it's never messed up. Hers is only about two years old. It sucks that it's leaking on you though. Hopefully you get all of the bugs worked out of it and you can simply drive it and enjoy it.

I drove mine today just for the sake of doing it. I went and picked up my daughter at school in it because all of the sixth grade boys love it soo much. They think it's a race car..........lol