Suprarx7nut 's 7MGE BHG repair job done right (hopefully)

vIetDrIfTeR

Mar 19, 2010
d town
where does this plug goes to?? i just did my hg and it start but dies especially when i step on the gas....thanks
da32a8139475__1275635952000.jpeg

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
In future, please post this kind of question in the 7MGTE Engine Tech subforum.

Looks like your front knock sensor. If you have a code 52 that will confirm it.

BriinumsBo

Mar 16, 2011
Riga
Hello!
Im doing HG replacement now. Your writeup is really helpful to me :)
Have you experienced any problems? How much miles have passed since HG job?
Did you do any retorque of the studs?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I did a retorque. I put about 40k miles on it. It was starting to leak coolant out the exhaust side like it did the first time. I think my block was warped.

I swapped for a gte that's treating me well. My ge served its purpose and was reliable for 3 years while I saved and researched for my swap. :)

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

BriinumsBo

Mar 16, 2011
Riga
how many miles did you wait before retorque?
did u tear apart the engine to see why it leaked? i have everything open now but block is in the car so it wont be machined. i cand decide between metal head gasket and graphite. only head is machined :/ using arps..

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
100% if you are not machining block, use graphite. Every. Single. Time.

It's more forgiving. Mls (metal) gaskets are meant for surface finishes you can't get without working the block. Metal head gaskets are meant for machines block and head, nothing less.

I waited a few hundred miles. Longer than you're supposed to by far. I believe arp says 5 heat cycles. Mine was closer to 10 to 20.

When I retorqued my gte this summer, there were a couple that went much tighter the second time. That was a very convincing moment that makes me firmly believe that retorque is crucial.

As if the word of arp wasn't enough to convince me, Haha.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

jackieboy

Dec 6, 2009
brisbane
48023d1310287544-doing-my-head-gasket-102_6206.jpg
hey man, thanks to your thread i confidently went ahead with my 7m hg. id be happy if i could get 30 000k but hopefully more! thanks mate

econti

Apr 21, 2014
Sydney
Huge necropost I know, but I followed this guide recently on my car and there's a few things I'd like to say.
1. You don't need to separate the throttle body, Y pipe and curvy bit of the intake manifold. Saves a little bit of time.
2. Take photos of all the vacuum lines and stuff and where they go, cause it's a pain trying to figure out.
3. REPLACE ALL MANIFOLD GASKETS. Mine wouldn't start after, and it was because of massive airleaks through the gaskets. The gaskets looked like they were fine, and so I tried to save a little money by not changing them. Big mistake.
4. Getting the timing right on it is a bit annoying, but not too difficult. Regardless, how I guestimated where to put the distributor rotor arm was by rotating the engine to TDC, then just pointing the arm near 11 o'clock (as when you push it in, the arm moves slightly due to the thread). Then set with a timing light.
5. Mark on the timing belt and timing gears, where it was when you took it all off. Made it easy to get the cams synchronised.

Solid guide though, it helped me a lot.