subwoofer setups

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
DBN;1355718 said:
Pretty cool the last one. IMO i'd rather have a spare than back seats though.

My sub is in the spare tire well. Since my car is not a daily driver, I'm just gonna buy a small 12 volt compressor, a can of fix a flat, tube of glue, jack, tire plug kit and triple "A". Stash all that behind the left panel in the trunk area. Except for the triple "A" card.

topgear

The Thrillseeker.
Jun 4, 2007
Tallinn
thanx for nice words
subs are Pioneer 307d4 (800w peak, 400nom) 2ohm.
Amp is old school Osio with 2x300w (2x600peak)
Did it my self, @ the audio shop i was told that this is about 2500$ job, and 2weeks to comlpleate.
I managed to do it in 2 days (2x6 hours) and 550$ spent.
I dont have any dimensions, I did it just to make it fit the trunk and to be able to put in the roof and some stuff like box of tools and a bag.
few pics of the process

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

box4.jpg

Last edited:

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
topgear;1409688 said:
Did it my self, @ the audio shop i was told that this is about 2500$ job, and 2weeks to comlpleate.
Madness, I don't know how they could stay in business with quotes like that. Also nice setup, very clean.

@xms how many watts is that in total you got back there?

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond

Before: targa didn't fit in and sensless caps.

Now: targa fits in, just have to do new covers or reuse the old ones and take them off time when the targa goes... (2 times a year? :D)

Shit hits properly. Have to look into getting the window trim rattling away and matting the trunk lid. Then I think I'll have a very polite system looking from the outside too.

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
topgear;1409688 said:
thanx for nice words
subs are Pioneer 307d4 (800w peak, 400nom) 2ohm.
Amp is old school Osio with 2x300w (2x600peak)
I dont have any dimensions, I did it just to make it fit the trunk and to be able to put in the roof and some stuff like box of tools and a bag.
few pics of the process

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

box4.jpg

pics are perfect now its time for me to get to work. Thanks for all the info and thanks for such a clean setup

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
What is the best way you guys have found to face the subs? Ive tried facing thm backwars fron the rear seat and the sound made me think I could tweak it a little. Is there a noticable difference in pointing them up at the glass?

supraracer49

3rd Gen Life
Nov 20, 2006
WNC
I never had subs in my supra's or any type of hatchback. Does it not rattle the glass or chance breaking it? I had a kicker system in my 95 240sx and it started to rattle and pop the trunk from all the bass. Not sure how much you guys are using your bass or just going for looks. Mine would rattle the front wiper blades and almost broke the interior rear view. Just interested cause I love hatchback everything but all the glass keeps me from putting bass in them

Kota

Jun 26, 2009
michigan
Mine doesn't rattle too much, but the most I've had poited at the window is two cheap 12s. Right now I have a 700w alpine e and it doesn't rattle much at all

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Yes off the glass seems to hurt the ears, although after building mine i removed it due to the fact i realized i must be getting old because i no longer want to feel it punching me in the head.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
I have a very old school 10" setup, seems to rattle the hatch a little too much for my liking. Now that the back seats are out (and staying that way) I have a chance to redo my whole setup there. Ill update this when it is all done.

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
I'm looking for a nice simple subwoofer that will enable me to keep my spare and still store my targa in the hatch. Something like the stock Toyota sub setup is perfect for me. So I'll keep on looking.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
I like many others have found that the rear seat of the supra is useless... and I need my hatch space since this is my dd and its a targa... so here is my setup...

I had these from my turbo focus but didnt want the added weight anymore... so figured why not....

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

its not quite finished... i'll be making a cover plate and a drop down mesh cover that can be snapped into place hiding everything when in ... unfriendly areas so to speak...

the setup is 4 10" oz audio woofers... 6ish cu. ft. of air space... 1600rms and the box will soon be ported and tuned to around 36hz... it hits extremely hard but not sure about db levels at the point....

anyways... thats what ive got so far...
-AcId-

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
well... good question... really... the only reason i did mine this way is because I had the stuff laying around.... and didnt want to let it go for nothing... it was in the back of my turbo focus and when I pulled it out to save a few hundred pounds... i tried to sell the stuff but I couldnt get anywhere near what I had in it back... so figured i'd just use em.... plus they fit nicely and I have an equalizer so I can dial the subs in for just about any song/music type... or I can just shut them off completely... plus with winter coming... a few extra pounds over the rear-end may help out since this is my dd at the moment.

-AcId-

supraturbotimmy

Dec 19, 2006
uk
p1457346_1.jpg

p1457346_2.jpg

p1457346_3.jpg

thats what i ended up with mine til someone offered a good bit of cash for the whole install, now atm i just got a big empty space til i decide what i'm gonna do next.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
AcIdBuRn02ZTS;1457336 said:
well... good question... really... the only reason i did mine this way is because I had the stuff laying around.... and didnt want to let it go for nothing... it was in the back of my turbo focus and when I pulled it out to save a few hundred pounds... i tried to sell the stuff but I couldnt get anywhere near what I had in it back... so figured i'd just use em.... plus they fit nicely and I have an equalizer so I can dial the subs in for just about any song/music type... or I can just shut them off completely... plus with winter coming... a few extra pounds over the rear-end may help out since this is my dd at the moment.

-AcId-

good point. i can appreciate it from a competitive standpoint (should do well in a db comp) but its just not my cup of tea i guess

timmy, nice setup with the 6x9's, looks killer.

i think once i get my subs installed tomorrow ill see if 6x9's are a must or not.

i have 2 sony explode (yea yea, cheapo...but they were free w/ seperate boxes too) i think im just going to run 1 for now and just keep it in the seat when i take the top off...untill i make a box thats compatable. not sure about the amp yet, another buddy is giving me that too. only thing i had to buy was an install kit (which really i couldve used wire from work, but im really not THAT cheap.