subframe bushing Delete?

NYsBlueMA

Evo+supra=3 cars
Sep 24, 2009
New York, New York, United States
I searched around and just found threads on replacement, but can I just remove the subframe bushings? I don't want to do away with them completely I just want to raise the subframe to get a better angle for the LCA and steering rack. I threw a ruler under there Its close to an inch. I know this will affect the height of the motor and im probably going to buy urethane ones just getting some info.

NYsBlueMA

Evo+supra=3 cars
Sep 24, 2009
I searched around some more still very little info out there. Something else that crossed my mind would MKIV arms match up and be longer? I wouldnt see why not I just want a flush and sexy MKIII on sawblades and a nice ride without a fight.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Mk4 arms will make the wheel sit farther back towards the rear and look worse.

Cant remoce the subframe bushings either. Thats like saying lest remove the engine mounts.

Why not add spacers?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There is plenty of adjustment to hit 2.0 or -2.0.

Maybe i dont get what your trying to do.

NYsBlueMA

Evo+supra=3 cars
Sep 24, 2009
I have a big drop but I read elsewhere that the bolt and or place where they sit may be bent but im maxed out. I just want a really nice drop and have levelish LCA's. Adjustable arms are ridiculous money I just need some length in my upper arms and level out the lowers thats all

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
What are your alignment specs right now? Sure the tabs arent bent or lazy guy aligning it? Bushings good? What are you dropping the car with? How low are you?

NYsBlueMA

Evo+supra=3 cars
Sep 24, 2009
I have Stance GR+ coilovers stock sawblades are pretty much flush with the fender so I would say about a 3in. drop. I did the alignment myself at my job thats when I saw the space because jack stands never do you justice. Alignment specs are Camber 3.0, toe 0, caster around high 9's. I just hate the bumpsteer, there are no center adjusting ball joints for MK3's and I hear the stance tie rod angle kit doen't work.

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
Whats wrong with 3* of camber? That should be fine for daily use

bumpsteer is not due to your lower control arm angle, it's due to the angle your tie rod makes with the ground...which is a function of the height of the steering rack and the location of the steering pickup point on the knuckle. Raising the subframe won't help bumpsteer or ride quality...it will help roll center though.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Umm no 3* of camber is not good. Thats a ton of inside tire wear and then you get your wheels looking like this / \.

Should be around .8-1.2 for best tire wear. Mine have been at 1.2 in the rear with zero wear problems. Fronts are at 1.4 and wear the inside a tad.

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
camber doesn't wear tires

toe wears tires

camber + toe gives the appearance that camber is wearing on your tire.

Get your toe in spec and you will get the same mileage out of the tire as you would with 1* of camber. Although you will have more wear on the inside...it will be the same amount of overall wear.

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

also should add. If you raise just your front subframe then your roll center in front is going to go up, while your rear roll center stays the same. this will negatively effect your handling.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Dude seriously.

You contradicted your self.

Camber does wear tires. Toe feathers them. Excessive negative camber wears the inside edge of the tire. Excessive positive camber wears the outside. Excessive toe will scrub the tire at a angle causing the tires not only to get messed up but to make your car swerve in a straight line.

-3* of camber WILL wear the tire unevenly. IF you want i can go take a picture of my front tire for you there only at -1.4 and wearing unevenly on the inside edge.
Ever notice the guys that roll around like this / \. Ever look at there tires? Ever notice that they go through tires like crazy?

mk3_4me

Apr 24, 2011
Sandy Eggo
hvyman;1715418 said:
Dude seriously.

Camber does wear tires. Toe feathers them. Excessive negative camber wears the inside edge of the tire. Excessive positive camber wears the outside. Excessive toe will scrub the tire at a angle causing the tires not only to get messed up but to make your car swerve in a straight line.

-3* of camber WILL wear the tire unevenly. IF you want i can go take a picture of my front tire for you there only at -1.4 and wearing unevenly on the inside edge.
Ever notice the guys that roll around like this / \. Ever look at there tires? Ever notice that they go through tires like crazy?

This. Toe is the quickest way to wear your tires. But camber also wears whatever contact patch you have, down, pretty fast. Instead of the entire tread taking the punishment of rolling, sliding, braking friction, etc., only a small edge of the tire takes that abuse.

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
hvyman;1715418 said:
Dude seriously.

I roll around with my tires like this / \ and have no QUICKER wear then if they were like this | |

Again. Added camber will increase tire wear on the inside relative to the outside. However, the overal tire wear will be exactly the same as if you had 0* of camber. Basically your wearing the inside the same as if you had zero camber, but taking the wear off the outside. So the outside will wear slower then if you had 0* camber but the inside will stay the same.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Dude your completely wrong and need to go reevaluate your knowledge.

The only time the the outside edge of the tire is going to get use is during turning with -3* of camber. The inside edge of the tire and prolly the sidewall will be the contact patch.

I do this for a living not based off my jdm tyte hella flush car that gets driven 5 miles a day.

Ill even do some homework for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camber_angle

And from that
In cars with double wishbone suspensions, camber angle may be fixed or adjustable, but in MacPherson strut suspensions, it is normally fixed. The elimination of an available camber adjustment may reduce maintenance requirements, but if the car is lowered by use of shortened springs, the camber angle will change. Excessive camber angle can lead to increased tire wear and impaired handling. Significant suspension modifications may correspondingly require that the upper control arm or strut mounting points be altered to allow for some inward or outward movement, relative to longitudinal centerline of the vehicle, for camber adjustment. Aftermarket plates with slots for strut mounts instead of just holes are available for most of the commonly modified models of cars.

-3* is considered excessive.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
tErbo b00st;1723253 said:
I roll around with my tires like this / \ and have no QUICKER wear then if they were like this | |

Again. Added camber will increase tire wear on the inside relative to the outside. However, the overal tire wear will be exactly the same as if you had 0* of camber. Basically your wearing the inside the same as if you had zero camber, but taking the wear off the outside. So the outside will wear slower then if you had 0* camber but the inside will stay the same.

WTF?

::focl::

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
This is exactly the moronic puke that defiles internet car forums.

Terbo boost... Your lack of understanding and comprehension is nearly mind blowing. Congrats.

Now please go read a book.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Oh come on guys, we all know that the inside sidewall of the tire is by far the most grip-filled part of the rubber...

You ever wonder why the VIP crowd can't get traction in most cases? Perhaps *I'm* the one mistaken, but isn't that what tires are for, traction? :aigo: