Stinger thread....

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
It's not too hard to get a car running with a Stinger...there are a couple things to know, but it's pretty easy as standalones go.

When you get ready to get going, just PM me your number and I'll try to help you through the startup stuff. It's just process..and you should be able to pull it off just fine.

gravesdu_99;1082495 said:
That makes a lot of sense with the lambda turbo Joe.

I havn't taken the plugs out after I try to start it, but before I even try to start it. I take them out and clean them because they are fouled and very black from the map that I'm running.

I'm probably the one of the first people with standalone within an hour if not more of where I live, rednecks everywhere with camaros and firebirds. But there is a shop about an hour and a half away that I'm going to probably take it to and have them weld up an intercooler kit for me and dyno tune the car. I would just like to get it running by myself out of pride. As far as I know, they have the only dyno within 3 hours.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Ok, I have just read this entire 13 page thread and haven't heard of anyone have this done with a 7M. I talked with Joe about this a little bit through pm. I have made a thread in the tech section because I'm trying to replace my hks safr and lex afm. I have most of the supporting mods that I need for some good hp, just need a good system to tune with.

What experiences have you guys had with this running on a 7M?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Jugodegolf has this on his 92 supra with the 7mgte. It's fairly easy to tune as long as you have a little help from SM.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
rakkasan;1086212 said:
LOL, he said running and 7M in the same sentence :biglaugh::sarcasm:

Double negative.......contradiction in terms.......a play on words......:biglaugh:

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
Has anybody used the Bosch LSM-11 wideband sensor with the stinger. I was told that this would only be good for a dyno tuning. That you need to hold the car is a cell for a certain amount of time for the standalone to do it's thing. And its not easly done on the road.

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
10secdream;1086571 said:
I am using the Bosch LSM-11 with the Stinger and I have had no problems using it to tune on the road. I just log a pull and tune from there.

What kind of wiring was involved to hook it up. Is it something that you wiring into the plug and play harness or what.

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Yup you just wire it into the harness. Just follow the instructions on the Stinger manual. Pretty much the 2 white wires are the 12v and the negative for the heater and the other 2 wires are for the signal to communicate with the Stinger.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
suprahero;1086365 said:
Double negative.......contradiction in terms.......a play on words......:biglaugh:

I have had my 7M running about 400 rwhp now for 3 years with me raping the car daily and 10+ trips to the track. So many people start with the 7M start modding it and don't know their head from their ass and go 1J when they blow up their 7M. Mine has JE pistons and HKS HG and some other stuff that I did first.

I'm really liking this Stinger and Aaron I'll be calling you with a couple of questions.

Thanks guys for the help!

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
hey guys, i did the fuel pump relay like aarons picture showed for the stinger, but i am not getting any power to the pumps, i had to do the 12v mod jumper to get them to come on

any ideas?

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
Hey guys, I had some problems with the car, but now i'm back to trying to tune the car. I've got a couple problems to start with. The car is idling at about 2300 rpm and according to the stinger I'm at about 10psi of vaccum. The aem boost says about 7psi of vaccum. Is this a good amount or do I still have a leak somewhere. I took my idle control valve off and made a plate to put over it, but used the stock gasket, not sure if some air is getting by there or not.

turbojoe, if the offer still stands to help me out let me know and I'll pm you my number. I have wednesdays off or on the weekend.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
gravesdu_99;1110916 said:
Hey guys, I had some problems with the car, but now i'm back to trying to tune the car. I've got a couple problems to start with. The car is idling at about 2300 rpm and according to the stinger I'm at about 10psi of vaccum. The aem boost says about 7psi of vaccum. Is this a good amount or do I still have a leak somewhere. I took my idle control valve off and made a plate to put over it, but used the stock gasket, not sure if some air is getting by there or not.

turbojoe, if the offer still stands to help me out let me know and I'll pm you my number. I have wednesdays off or on the weekend.

If your vacuum lines are attached at two different locations, then I would say yas, you have a leak.

One way to check is to swap the two lines around and see if stinger reads 7psi and your aem gauge reads 10psi. If so, start looking....

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
yeah, the aem is at the front of the intake and the stinger is at the back of the intake. What kind of numbers should I see for vaccum.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I think that the difference is that the stinger is reading in PSIA but the gauge reads in PSIG. Absolute vacuum is different then gauge vacuum.

Read this, a good explaination of this subject:
http://www.dynisco.com/literature/Application%20Notes/Process/GageAbsPress.pdf

As far as your idle being too high, it must be pulling air in from somewhere, did you inspect the throttle plate stops and make sure the throttle is closing all the way? It could not idle too high if it didn't have enough air getting into the intake plenum from somewhere.

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
bigaaron;1110948 said:
I think that the difference is that the stinger is reading in PSIA but the gauge reads in PSIG. Absolute vacuum is different then gauge vacuum.

Read this, a good explaination of this subject:
http://www.dynisco.com/literature/Application%20Notes/Process/GageAbsPress.pdf

As far as your idle being too high, it must be pulling air in from somewhere, did you inspect the throttle plate stops and make sure the throttle is closing all the way? It could not idle too high if it didn't have enough air getting into the intake plenum from somewhere.

I backed the stop out all the way and it it didn't change it at all. I take it that it would still idle right even if my map wasn't right.

Also while I got you aaron. I bought a 2jz throttle cable from you and the casing is to short, but the cable has a lot of slack. When I got the motor you said that it was from a soarer. What other cable should I try.

Also would you have any maps closer to my set up that you could send me. 1jz, 682cc high impedance injectors, gt40-82.

xsjado

Engine bling!
Jul 15, 2007
Melbourne
Will be getting my Stinger tuned in the next few weeks, also in search of a map with 682cc injectors. Or would I be better off tweaking the map in the first post to suit my setup?