SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Downforce on the back wheels is all well and good to balance weight ratio and all that, but I think you're missing a HUGE problem. I'm by no means a FWD expert or a Guru or anything and I haven't gone through the trouble of trying to run through this with physics calculations but:

FWD: Front wheels steer. Front wheels drive. Front wheels do majority of braking. Rear wheels distribute load, but serve little purpose regarding handling characteristics. Additional downforce on rear removes load from front wheels and reduces your ability to both steer and accelerate. You lose the much needed friction on the front tires to brake, steer and accelerate.
RWD: Front wheels steer. Front wheels do most braking. Rear wheels drive. Added rear downforce removes load from front tires for steering but increases load for driving wheels.

In a RWD or AWD car, weight balance is great. You get good weight up front, good weight rear and it's even enough that handling is predictable and managable.
FWD, weight balance is not necessarily good. At all. Weight on the rear is not very effective. A larger concentration of weight over the front wheels makes more sense in my limited knowledge scope.

Do with that what you will...

87GWSupra

Rally Supra
Jan 24, 2010
Carlton, Oregon
Wow ricer wings bring out the smartest of people. How about no wing or factory wing. Unless you're doing track racing I see no point in them besides making your car look like a piece of sh$t.

I was gunna put a wing on my civic to help the rear be more predictable while I drift it.....

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
No wing! wings attract too much attention from the wrong people, ie- police, punk kids that drive hondas with loud exhausts and think they're car is faster than yours so they do the speed up and slow down crap next to you trying to get you to race and annoying you with the sound that comes from stock diameter piping and a 4in. diameter muffler. And stock wings look cool too..... hondas suck lol

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
rodel;1776871 said:
I dont know about the double wing, but I like the Gracer wing. If anyone sees one for sale, hit me up!
I forget his name on here, but lives in FL, has had some sweet wheels and hard to find body bits for sale over the years, he had one of the Trust/Greddy F40 wings for sale last year. Had I not already bought the Regulus, I might have picked that one up, they suit our cars well.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Spoilers/wings do help on a fwd when you're going through high speed turns. You could alleviate high speed oversteer like that by putting wider tires in the rear, or by removing the rear sway bar... but that would make the car understeer worse at low speed. The wing has little effect below highway speeds, so it won't make the car understeer worse at low speed.

I usually prefer the look of the factory spoilers on most cars. They set the car apart from the lesser models, makes it look special. Some cars look terrible without it (ie. 93' Mazda MX-6), some cars look terrible with it (merkur XR4Ti), but supras seem to look nice both ways.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
te72;1777035 said:
I forget his name on here, but lives in FL, has had some sweet wheels and hard to find body bits for sale over the years, he had one of the Trust/Greddy F40 wings for sale last year. Had I not already bought the Regulus, I might have picked that one up, they suit our cars well.

I actually contacted him about the greddy wing. I was a little late. I still want to rock the greddy wing.

tfhorst

Nov 2, 2011
pittsburgh
I agree with everything you said suprarx7nut. What is different in our views on this is the bassic assumtion of the person putting a wing on there fwd car, you are speaking from a standpoint that some fool just puts a wing on there 300hp honda. I am assuming that he is also upgrading his air dam and undercariage to making the wing on the back part of a system to improve highspeed handeling. I have been that guy with a big wing on a car that doesn't really need it (scirocco) just the wing? Crap. The wing with a body kit? Like dipping your tires in elmers. (Please note that I said elmers not superglue)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
tfhorst;1777076 said:
(Please note that I said elmers not superglue)

All I remember about Elmers is that it would make things slide all over the place when you tried to press papers together as a kid...

tfhorst

Nov 2, 2011
pittsburgh
i'm sure they have a arts and crafts class at your local college, maybe it's time to go back to school and learn how to use glue, after all knowing if half the battle!
they found that so many kids were eating elmers they made it taste better. no joke you can actually find flavors out there for the discerning past eater.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Back on topic....What's wrong with you anti-big wing people? Big wings are cool.

mk3suprawidebodyAlberta.jpg

mk3suprawidebodyAlberta1.jpg

Last edited:

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
wonder what this would look like on a mk3

p1778512_1.jpg

p1778512_2.jpg

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
Stock with no wing, and IMHO stock cars (and trucks) travel at speeds of 170 mph+ and don't have giant obnoxios wings on the back. And i have already stated that wings attract much uneeded attention thats just my opinion you don't have to get your panties in a bunch just because you live life a quater mile at a time.

Attachments

• supra 008.jpg
    supra 008.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 35