some intercooler questions

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Mike - were you able to find a compressor map for your Boss Turbo?
What intercooler and how much CFM capacity did Cartech advise you go to?

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
i wasn't able to find a compressor map; however i was told that my turbo flows 75lb./hr. i really don't nkow what that means. also cartech says they have nothing for me with the power i'm making. i think the guy said an 18 inch long intercooler would work, but it need to be 3.5inches think.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
malloynx said:
I called cartech today and i was advised to go to a bigger unit all together. i was told that even if i welded on 2.5 inlet and oulet that the intercooler itself is not up to the task.

i really didn't want to go this route, but i need to get this fixed. like i said; the car feels great, but in the upper rpms the car is running out of steam.
tisk tisk for being lazy :)... i say to hell w/ the cartech unit.. time for 95mm tb + ffi + 3" pipes + LARGE IC :naughty: :biglaugh:

i'm actually fairly amazed you make the power you do, on your current set-up

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
malloynx said:
i wasn't able to find a compressor map; however i was told that my turbo flows 75lb./hr. i really don't nkow what that means. also cartech says they have nothing for me with the power i'm making. i think the guy said an 18 inch long intercooler would work, but it need to be 3.5inches think.

I think you meant 75 lb/min ;)
That is equal to 930 CFM...yes, that will over flow the Cartech if it's the one I'm thinking about. You have the 18" x 8" x 3" bar & plate intercooler, correct?

The 75 lb/min may be at the max psi the compressor is capable of...you're are running 24 psi (or 2.67 Bar). The compressor map for your housing & trim would be useful to determine what your actual CFM flow is at that psi.

In any case, your TB is going to restrict you once you start to exceed the critical velocity...that's going to occur at the intercooler CFM limit you have now (547 CFM for that Cartech). You can go above this, but you will get a compounding increase (it's not linear) in pressure drop and will reach a point pretty quickly where you're achieving no gain.

I still think you should still consider just changing the 2" to 2.5"...at least you'll know the restriction will be the TB. Doing this backwards at 540 HP, it would require 810 CFM of flow...I don't know how you're doing it Mike, but that's shit hot. Must be that theory vs reality thing again ;)

Velocity at that flow through a 2" diameter opening is 618 ft/sec with a 3.61 psig pressure drop. If you open up to 2.5" velocity drops to 396 ft/sec with a 1.29 psig pressure drop. Your TB diameter will produce a 444 ft/sec velocity and a 1.63 psig pressure drop...not too much of an increase considering the effect the 2" diameter openings are having. Give the 2.5" change a shot...shouldn't cost that much and not any downside ;)

I also saw you're in on the BC 264 cam group buy...that's going to help your top end ;)

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
All you guys care about is compressor size. That's flat wrong. Malloy your car
is running out of steam at high RPMs is the same reason that big compressor'd
CT-26s run out of steam. You're not getting the air OUT of the car. You
have a _SMALL_ Stage V wheel on the back. It's the same reason the wimpy
SP61GT runs out of steam. The smallest wheel I sell is an "O" Trim, and that is
in my smallest turbo, the JT56Lightning, The P-trims flow way more, and that's
why all my other turbos have a P-Trim. I've kept my mouth shut for a long time
since I haven't had my MKII running, and I hate telling people anything without
immediately having hard core proof to back it up, but I feel the restriction in your
setup is the stage V wheel. It's not the stock exhaust manifold (altho that is a
restriction too), and it's not the intercooler (but that's a restriction too), in my
opinion, it's the exhaust wheel of the turbo. The housing itself is a great piece,
but the wheel is just too small for what you want it to do. Maybe I'll shut my trap
again for a while until I get my MKIII and start dyno testing all my turbos to show
people what I mean.

The SP61GT uses a 61mm GT compressor wheel, and a stage V T3 exhaust
wheel, the JT56Lightning uses an older .57 trim compressor wheel (much smaller),
design but uses an O, or P-trim exhaust wheel, and it makes the same or more
power than the SP61 and it comes on sooner. I'm working on a deal to get a
new SP61GT in a trade, and I'm gonna post dyno results once I have the extra
cash.

Jeff

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Mike - I'm not sure if that map accurately depicts your set-up...it's a combination of the wheel and the housing. You are flowing about 65 lbs/min to get to the HP numbers you have. On this map at that flow and pressure ratio (24 psi / 14.7 SL atmospheric pressure = 1.63), that flow is to the right of the compressor choke line...it exceeds the max flow this compressor is capable of.

Edit: Take a look at this link...it's more geared for how to select a turbo, but explains what the maps mean pretty well:
http://www.automotivearticles.com/Turbo_Selection.shtml

Jeff - What your saying is correct concerning the turbo's capability. But Mike has this turbo and is trying to get the max out it possible. Yeah, he may be hitting that already (I'm still impressed). I'm just trying to help figure out if his intercooler/pipe diameters is holding it back a bit...and based on what I see...it is. The question of the day is how much ;)

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
According to Suprasport.com Mike's turbo should be good up to 675HP... Maybe we should email them a copy of this thread to see if they will reconsider this statement? ;).

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I think there's a rumor going around that suprasport should be completing a new stock-like manifold that's ct-26 compatible, along with it's bigger, upgraded cousins ;).

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
thanks for all the info guys. it's much apperiated. i will say this... the bolt-on turbo is staying. i going to workout this intercooler setup and go from there. One step at a time.

jdub, thanks for the technical data. i know people that TIG. you think i should try that route?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
malloynx said:
thanks for all the info guys. it's much apperiated. i will say this... the bolt-on turbo is staying. i going to workout this intercooler setup and go from there. One step at a time.

jdub, thanks for the technical data. i know people that TIG. you think i should try that route?

Yeah...I would. Like I said, what's the down side?...not a heck of a lot other than the cost of pipe and time to TIG. See what it does for you...if it's still not meeting your expectations, start looking at other mods. I bet you get a HP gain...how much is the question ;)

Are you running a standalone Mike or piggybacks on a stock ECU?

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
i'm running the maft-pro. also i want to add that my lower intercooler pipe is only 2inches ;)

imagine the possibilites

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
malloynx said:
i'm running the maft-pro. also i want to add that my lower intercooler pipe is only 2inches ;)

imagine the possibilites

I am...oh yeah I am :evil2:

Change that pipe to 2.5" too...like I need to tell ya that...LOL ;)

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
well i run the 550's on top of methanol. i'm getting the added fuel from the meth system and it's working out great.

spoolint78

Representing T.O
Mar 30, 2005
T.O
Try some bigger intercooler piping, maybe a ebay intercooler, and some cams( if u want). It will help keep some more power up top. I know you can get the 2.5 or 2.75ic piping off ebay for a decent price.
That is where i picked mine up.

It should help
good luck bro.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Do you have the GTS cover on your stage V BOSS? the outlet on the compressor for the GTS is 2.25" iirc and the standard compressor cover is 2". So either way, 2.5" lower pipes should net you around 25-75 HP along with the change of the IC inlets & outlets (rough guestimate).

Boss302

May 2, 2006
Mobile, Al
CryoSlash said:
yes it is! for the power you are at, running a 2 inch is no better then the stock ic. well anything is better then the stock IC but you get my point. Justin is right here, it is only as good as its restriction. Time to go 3 inch buddy ;)

but it has been proven that 2.5 flows BETTER for our cars then 3.0 it's on a thread here somewhere IJ even proved it.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
After he fixes the lower pipe and the IC issues the next restriction is the TB. Until he get's something bigger there it will be pointless to go any larger than 2.5"