some intercooler questions

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
i have noticed that in the upper rpms i'm running out of steam a bit. at 26psi+ of boost i think the cartech intercooler is not cutting it. i have 2.5inch hardpipes, however the inlet out outlet of the intercooler is only 2 inches.

is this killing my flow?

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'm pretty sure your power is being robbed by that IC, 2" inlets.. thats very restrictive and probably the bottleneck of your setup. However, I wouldn't go any bigger than 2.5"-2.75" considering you're still on the stock throttle body.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
malloynx said:
i have noticed that in the upper rpms i'm running out of steam a bit. at 26psi+ of boost i think the cartech intercooler is not cutting it. i have 2.5inch hardpipes, however the inlet out outlet of the intercooler is only 2 inches.

is this killing my flow?
yes it is! for the power you are at, running a 2 inch is no better then the stock ic. well anything is better then the stock IC but you get my point. Justin is right here, it is only as good as its restriction. Time to go 3 inch buddy ;)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Here's a calculator that might help:
http://not2fast.com/gasflow/velocity.shtml

The most restrictive part of the turbo to intake (including the TB) will determine the diameter used...in case you need to know, the TB is 60mm = 2.36" You'll also need to know the CFM of your turbo at a set boost level.

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
i don't know what i'm going to do. i keep hearing differnt opionions. reguarding velocity and airflow.

i want to keep the stock setup and i like the cartech, i just wish the openings were bigger.

maybe i can mod my intercooler i have now. and have some 2.5 inch pipe welded on?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The most restrictive diameter in the system will determine the flow...Bernoulli's Law in effect here ;)
Play with the calculator I posted to see the effect.

If you know a good aluminum welder, changing the inlet/outlet pipes on the Cartech will work. Then your TB becomes the restriction.

If you're running out of steam at higher rpm/boost, might be time for some upgraded cams.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I found this:

"Dry air has a density of 13.076307480840681 cubic feet per pound

Dry air at 0ºC has a density of 12.417423770565761 cubic feet per pound.

pounds/minute * cubic feet/pound = cubic feet/minute

So just take whatever conversion factor from above, and multiply it by your pounds/minute value to get cubic feet per minute."

You can look at your compressor map and see what the highest flow will possibly be from your turbo.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
kylefoto said:
what about at 35psi?
how is it cuttin it up there?
hahaha
:)

Pressure and flow are two different things. You can make 35 psi through a soda straw, but it's not going to allow much flow.
The goal is to flow more at lower boost pressure to make hp. People get hung up on wanting to run a certain amount of boost, but your boost pressure is really meaningless. The more boost you run the more heat is created from compressing the air, and the more likely you are to have knock or detonation.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bigaaron again.

For "Pressure and flow are two different things."

edit: Malloynx, at what point are you going to change over to a bigger 2JZ intercooler and front facing manifold? It is unfortunate that Toyota never had 600 horsepower in mind with the 7M. Never?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
We couldn't add to Aaron's rep...wanted to for his comment on flow vs psi, but couldn't because we gave him rep on a previous post and can't do it again until "spreading some around". It's the icon in the middle below the screen name.

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
bigaaron said:
Pressure and flow are two different things. You can make 35 psi through a soda straw, but it's not going to allow much flow.
The goal is to flow more at lower boost pressure to make hp. People get hung up on wanting to run a certain amount of boost, but your boost pressure is really meaningless. The more boost you run the more heat is created from compressing the air, and the more likely you are to have knock or detonation.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30840
Just referring to the other thread aaron... :)

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
kylefoto said:

OH :biglaugh:

My pressure vs. flow comments were not directed at Malloynx, just the fact that the engine can take 35psi is a testament to his engine building skills.

Once you really have the flow capability covered, then you up the boost. But if there is flow restriction you can keep going higher on the boost without making more power, the power may even begin to decrease because of heat.