so what really wrong with the 1g-gte?

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
starscream5000 said:
It's already been said and beat to death, but the supra is just too damn heavy to have any decent amount of fun with it running a 1G.

Do you have first hand experience to back that up?

I don't think it would be too bad with some nice mods on it. Maybe small/mid sized turbo upgrade.

projectsupra

旧車スープラ
Apr 5, 2005
West Palm Beach, FL
s235.photobucket.com
starscream5000 said:
... There aren't many aftermarkey parts that can be had for this engine is there?

OneJoeZee said:
... There is no aftermarket support in the US for it like the 2J, 7M, and 1J have....

...Aftermarket support in the US is basically non-existant. There's nothing wrong with it though... if you got one from the factory.

smiley-rofl.gif
Keep thinking that, I've been importing 1G parts for over two years, my importer friends have been doing it longer. Aftermarket support is not the problem.

If anyone should have to ask why the engine isn't popular, just look at the anti-1G rhetoric sprinkled in this thread. I remember the same thing years ago with the 1JZ.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
I have no doubts you can get parts imported if you need them. I've imported things from Japan for my 1J before but that doesn't mean the 1G US support is anywhere near the other 3 engines.

Prove to me otherwise and I'll gladly admit I didn't know.

People did say the same thing about the 1J years ago and it WAS true then. The 1J aftermarket has grown considerably in the last few years.

Don't confuse my post with the other one you quoted. I'm sure in Japan there's tons available for the 1G but it doesn't and probably never will have the kind of support from US customers, shops, and manufactuers like the 7M, 1J, and 2J have.

How many people even have 1Gs? Do you have some kind of idea? I'd like to know (honestly)

Last edited:

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
2 years is not a long time, This car has been around for 20years.

You have some friends who import parts for this engine, well all the other engines have aftermarket and oem support already in this country.
There are a select few who import skylines as well, does that mean they're easy to obtain and as cheap to find? I think you know the answer.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
MassSupra89 said:
2 years is not a long time, This car has been around for 20years.

You have some friends who import parts for this engine, well all the other engines have aftermarket and oem support already in this country.
There are a select few who import skylines as well, does that mean they're easy to obtain and as cheap to find? I think you know the answer.

Actually, finding RB/skyline aftermarket parts is easier than you might think.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
projectsupra said:
smiley-rofl.gif
Keep thinking that, I've been importing 1G parts for over two years, my importer friends have been doing it longer. Aftermarket support is not the problem.

If anyone should have to ask why the engine isn't popular, just look at the anti-1G rhetoric sprinkled in this thread. I remember the same thing years ago with the 1JZ.

^ then again, most 1g's aren't NEARLY as badass as yours. ;) (if i'm thinking of your car correctly, and i believe that i am.)

i would love to have your 1g.

-shaeff

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Parts for the RB are probably easier than finding 1G's haha.

I'm talking about importing a Skyline into the country, or finding one here, it isn't going to be easy/cheap. But that's another topic.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
MassSupra89 said:
Parts for the RB are probably easier than finding 1G's haha.

I'm talking about importing a Skyline into the country, or finding one here, it isn't going to be easy/cheap. But that's another topic.

RB demand is easily greater than 1G demand.

but yeah, importing the whole car doesn't really relate to what we're talking about.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
OneJoeZee said:
RB demand is easily greater than 1G demand.

but yeah, importing the whole car doesn't really relate to what we're talking about.

How so? there are a select few who import them, and they're hard to come by.

The only difference I see is that no-one want's a 1G:biglaugh:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
MassSupra89 said:
How so? there are a select few who import them, and they're hard to come by.

The only difference I see is that no-one want's a 1G:biglaugh:

RB demand doesn't come from only skyline owners.

RBs go into 240s all the time. At almost every meet that had a good number of 240s in attendence, at least one of them was RB powered. RB25 powered 240s are pretty common. (In socal at least).

There are some RB powered Zs running around too.

Same thing with the SR. There's not very many authentic Silvias but there's tons of SR powered cars. Probably outnumbering 1Js at least 2:1 and that's being optimistic. Not that I have hard numbers to back that up but just telling you what I've seen.

The only time I've seen a 1G anywhere was in one of the few GZ20s that are in socal.

I imagine most other places in the US are alot different though. Socal has a high concentration of JDM cars and cars powered by JDM engines relative to other states/areas. I'd bet there's more 1Js in a 100 mile radius of me than most states have total.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
honestly, i want a ga70. first, they're not often seen, and the power potential IS there. and christ, it's still a supra. even if there's not a huge aftermarket for them, that just give me more of a reason to want to fabricate performance parts for them. oh well, maybe it's just me. and projectsupra

-shaeff

7MA61

7MA61
Aug 27, 2006
Sydney
Jeff Lange said:
What's wrong with the 1G?

The fact that it exists.
Meh come to australia everyone uses them in lighter cars. Ke30 rolla with one in it, stock unopened motor, big turbo, aftermarket ecu untuned and it made 280rwkw or just under 400rwhp on 21-23 psi.

The problem is not the motor its the boat like cars they came in:runaway:

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
IJ. said:
Nice motor for an early Celica.

Why though, when you guys "over there" have more years of GT-Four/Alltrac with the 3S-GTE? Same bore and stroke as a 2JZ with 2 less pistons, and well known in both JGTC and rally.
..or are you talking about substituting the 1G into 70's model Celicas?