so what really wrong with the 1g-gte?

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Nothing really.
People don't really do it because since they are already swapping might as well go the route with more power.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Not many people have done the swap, so I'd say most are leery about getting their hands dirty by doing it. There aren't many aftermarkey parts that can be had for this engine is there?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
it's just underpowered for an a70. put it in a corolla, and it'd be lots of fun. :)

or, you could build it up if you want, and probably make decent power, too. it would just take quite a bit more work to do so.

-shaeff

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
I dont' have a problem with the engine really... I'm sure there's alot of nice 1G cars running around Japan. I just don't see a reason to swap it into a Supra. I'd rather have a 7M than a 1G. If I get a 1G, what am I gonna do with it? There is no aftermarket support in the US for it like the 2J, 7M, and 1J have.

The other engines are easy choices.

7M: Came in the car. Parts are easy to come by. Easy choice.

2J: Aftermarket supoort out the ass... Great engine. ~80-100hp advantage over the 7M stock. Tons of engines if a replacement is needed

1J: Enough aftermarket support in the US to do most anything you want to. ~40-60hp advantage over 7M stock. Also tons of engines if a replacement is needed.

1G: Less power than all 3 stock. Stock turbos are fuckin puny. It's the lowest trim/model Supra. Aftermarket support in the US is basically non-existant. There's nothing wrong with it though... if you got one from the factory.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
1G-GTE = Why not just stay with 7M-GE? If you are paying money for an engine swap, why would you not go with the common, "easy" upgrade with more power? Even if you stay with a 7M-GE you will have comparable torque, and parts availability for repairs will be no problem.
This is basically asking "Why do Honda guys put a B18 motor when you can get a D15 for much cheaper?" If you are going to spend the cash anyways, do the swap correctly, and for more than minimal gain.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
I think the digidash looks gay. 7M and 1J cars had it as well anyway, so it's not like that would be any reason to pick a 1G car over the other 2.

The A70 is a really cool car though... So many nice engine choices and trim lines were offered over the years. From the most basic 150hp 1G-GE powered narrow body Supra to the last 280hp Twin Turbo R model. I can imagine it must have been pretty exciting to be in Japan at the time and see the progression all of the different models over the years.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
OneJoeZee said:
I think the digidash looks gay. 7M and 1J cars had it as well anyway, so it's not like that would be any reason to pick a 1G car over the other 2.

The A70 is a really cool car though... So many nice engine choices and trim lines were offered over the years. From the most basic 150hp 1G-GE powered narrow body Supra to the last 280hp Twin Turbo R model. I can imagine it must have been pretty exciting to be in Japan at the time and see the progression all of the different models over the years.

If they wernt too busy fapping their wee wees over GTR

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
and makes like 10 less HP than the 1st gen 1g while reving out to 6,250rpm and is missing 2 turbos. it also runs a faster 1/4 mile time.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
nuthin wrong with a 1g, just wouldnt put it in a A70. A local shop built a 1G-GTE for their AE86, i'll try to get some pic's of it some time, since I can't find any online. I think there was even an article in some magazine about it, but I can't find it :shrug: