Sneakypete's Bulletproof Powerplant Build

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
havent posted in a while.... so i thought id give an update.
i blew another CSF radiator (3 so far), i decided to go with a different one. i bought a "godspeed" radiator off ebay. they are all the same chinese knockoffs. its a 3 row aluminum. nice piece of equipment except the mounting location for the stock shroud and fans were off. the holes where the shroud should bolt up were raised so it left a big gap between the shroud and radiator. i used a bunch of weatherstrip to fill the gap. if i wasnt running efans (with a skinny shroud), i would have clearance issues with the belts.

in other new... i finally put in the JDM ecu ive had sitting in my garage for 6 months. its an auto ecu but my car is a manual. ive been having trouble with code 51 since then. cant seem to shake it. ive tryed readjusting the tps and even swapped another tps. nothing seems to work. my idle is pretty high and i cant seem to figure it out.
i have a feeling that the fact that the auto ecu might have something to do with it. if anyone has any ideas.... please let me know

-pete

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
Why have you gone through 3 radiators? Doesn't make sense to me, i have the same godspeed radiator and it cools very good compared to stock. In fact my car kept over heating so i replaced the thermostat, but it kept overheating so i checked the oil(didn't look foamy)so i replaced the radiator and it stopped. But much later it started overheating again but instead of taking fifteen minutes to everheat it would take a couple hours. So i took it in and had it diagnosed, turns out i had a bhg so the radiator was keeping the car cool with a bhg!

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
supramk3speed;1320886 said:
Why have you gone through 3 radiators? Doesn't make sense to me, i have the same godspeed radiator and it cools very good compared to stock. In fact my car kept over heating so i replaced the thermostat, but it kept overheating so i checked the oil(didn't look foamy)so i replaced the radiator and it stopped. But much later it started overheating again but instead of taking fifteen minutes to everheat it would take a couple hours. So i took it in and had it diagnosed, turns out i had a bhg so the radiator was keeping the car cool with a bhg!

not sure... i bought my first CSF radiator about 5 years ago and it blew a hole between 2 fins. so i returned it and got a new one. the next one started leaking from the lower endtankabout 3 years ago, so i returned it again. the last one started leaking from the upper endtank, so i gave up on CSF and bought a ebay godspeed radiator and have been fine since then.
i dont have a blown headgasket and i never overheated unless it started leaking.
no problems with the new radiator. i just think that the CSF radiators are not the best quality, although they have a lifetime guarantee.

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
sneakypete;1268065 said:
i have a feeling that the fact that the auto ecu might have something to do with it. if anyone has any ideas.... please let me know

-pete

negative, i just swapped in my jdm ecu which is also auto and im on a manual tranny and i have no issues at all, maybe the ecu is just bad

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
Wow, its been a long time since I've been on SM.

Update: Finished my motor build back in early '09. Only put about 1000 miles on it since the build. The motor performs great but I haven't really had the chance to push it too much. Its been garaged since late '09 due to new job and eventually new house, marriage, kids, etc. I take it out once or twice a year, but not much more than that. My plan was to hold on to the car and eventually start interior/exterior work but life caught up to me.

Sadly, I am considering selling the car and was wondering what kind of interest is out there. Anyone have any ideas on what an MKIII with similar mods is selling for these days? Any input is appreciated.

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
crags on pulling up this old thread. Clean supras are hard to find and a lot of replacement parts are now a bitch to get to non existent. I haven't seen many well modded cars for sale recently but a few 1jz cars that didn't sell in the 6500 range.