Sneakypete's Bulletproof Powerplant Build

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
when i first started it up, i didnt notice anything. i hear the noise after the engine was warmed up. and the clanking wasnt constant. only after i came to a stop and was idling for a minute or so. then it stopped after about 2-3 minutes.

also, my car never went up to full operating temp (according to mech temp gauge). stayed around 150 F. the line that goes from the sender to the gauge is a little beat up... so that may be faulty. could that be because i was running only water and radiator cleaner?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yes it's normal to burn a bit of oil until the rings seat. You should change it and the filter very soon for the reason you said...the assembly lube and other associated crap is flushed. Change the oil and filter again at the 500 mile point...same straight 30W. Go to a syn oil at 1500 miles and use a good filter (Wix).

Clanking sound? Where is it coming from?

Are you running a thermostat in the cooling system?

trnkmnky

Aug 14, 2008
West Orange
jdub;1111249 said:
Yes it's normal to burn a bit of oil until the rings seat. You should change it and the filter very soon for the reason you said...the assembly lube and other associated crap is flushed. Change the oil and filter again at the 500 mile point...same straight 30W. Go to a syn oil at 1500 miles and use a good filter (Wix).

Yeah there is a probe in the upper corner of his radiator.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
jdub;1111249 said:

im gonna change it tomorrow before i leave for vacation. ive driven it about 25 miles. ive got plenty of straight 30 weight to last me a lifetime. and a pretty good stock of redline fluids all around. still cant figure out why the car is so jumpy tho
-pete

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
clanking is coming from the engine bay when im idling after a hard pull. cant figure out exactly where once i open the hood. im running electric fans with a thermo switch in the radiator at 180 F. i also have a toyota thermostat in the water neck.... like stock

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I assume the thermo switch triggers a relay to active the fans at that temp...Do the fans come on when it's warmed up?

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
jdub;1111322 said:
I assume the thermo switch triggers a relay to active the fans at that temp...Do the fans come on when it's warmed up?

yes thats correct, and yes they go on and stay on until the temp drops.... even if the car is off

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Sounds like your gauge temp sensor, sensor wire, or the gauge is a bit off if the 180 deg fan probe actuates the fans ;)
Only way to find out would be to measure using a known good sensor and accurate gauge.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
Hey, im back from vacation. havent really driven or worked on the car in several weeks. I hope to have it broken in and the kinks worked out by the etown meet in october.
Should i be running the trasko filter during the break in period? i thought some wear is needed to seat the rings.

Im having some trouble with the base tune. A/F ratios are a little lean at part throttle in low and mid loads. im gonna try resetting maft pro to see if that helps

Other than that, the car is still a little choppy. Valve and ignition timings is good. no unusual codes (other than afm and hac). need to spend more time on it... but im back in school so i dont have much time available

-pete

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
damn.... i tried resetting the maftpro and i reset the timing again and its still running rough.... seems like a miss
coils are good, cps is installed and aligned correctly, plugs are new and gapped properly, wires are new
cant figure it out. and im not sure if it related to my afr difficulties. i just cant seem to get the A/F consistently richer

anyone have any ideas?

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
anyone have any ideas???

also at what point should i need to upgrade to a larger fuel line?
and at what point will i need a better or maybe an additional bov?

thanks

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
found out about the rough idle and bad af ratios. injectors 1 and 6 arent firing. resistance is within spec. think it might be the wiring.

Last edited:

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
well the injector wiring is fine. everything tests out ok.... injectors, clips, coils, injector resistor pack, etc.
could it be the ignitor? im testing that now but what exactly controls the firing of the injectors?

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
havent posted here in a while so i thought i should give an update.
all the little kinks have been worked out. i sent the injectors back to rc and it turns out that they messed up when i sent them the first time to get cleaned. they are great now.
the car runs and feels great. it pulls harder than ever. my only problem is traction. i can spin the tires until 4th gear... and thats only at 14psi. once i get some money ive got to redo the suspension and get some bigger wheels and tires (sawblades arent gonna get the job done).
-pete

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
hey pete wats going on, thanks for coming and picking up the door today, i told my boy he has until the 29th to pick it up if not i kno how u said ur other side is from a junkyard so i can give a good deal for both the fender so if u wanna thro it on at least it will match lol.

Nice build you have going any dyno numbers?