Sneakypete's Bulletproof Powerplant Build

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
Hey everyone. I am about to start my latest build. This is my first time rebuilding the motor. I just dropped off the block and head at the machine shop.
Im putting in Probe Forged Pistons (.020 over), Forged Eagle Rods, ARP studs, Titan MHG, new oil pump from Toyota, Trasko bypass filter, Driftmotion SS oil line, Clevite bearings, Full engine gasket set from Toyota, replacing every seal, gasket, and anything else i can think of.
Im also planning on sending out my exhaust manifold, heat shields and intake manifold to get ceramic coated.
Cleaning up the engine bay is another priority i have before the motor gets back from the shop... Ive never had a clean engine bay and i plan on doing my best. I bought a few gallons of purple power degreaser and a bunch of brushes to clean this guy down. Some of you guys with immaculate bays please chime in and share you secrets please.
This motor should be good for the 600rwhp+ im aiming for with my new CT467 Boss Comp series DBB turbo. Im also running maft pro with speed density, wideband tracking, and boost control.
I just sent out my RC 550cc injectors to get cleaned, flow tested, and flow matched. I will use them for now, but I know that 550s wont cut it for the power im looking for so im currently looking for a trade for either 650cc or 720cc injectors.
If you guys have any recommendations or advice, please dont hesitate.

Here are some before pics (including the melted #3 cylinder)

Thanks
-Pete

Attachments

• P5060010.jpg
    P5060010.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 122
  • P5060009.jpg
    P5060009.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 93
  • P5060012.jpg
    P5060012.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 180
  • P5060014.jpg
    P5060014.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 240
  • P5060011.jpg
    P5060011.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 147

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
here are some of the parts
the pic of the turbo is the boss turbo (left) next to the SP61GT (right)

Attachments

• P5060002.jpg
    P5060002.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 107
  • P5060007.jpg
    P5060007.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG00068.jpg
    IMG00068.jpg
    644.9 KB · Views: 358

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
HommerSimpson;1013337 said:
what is your address ? and do you have any dogs ? guns ?
LOL just kidding...
nice parts and should be nice and good motor to beat shit out of...

2 dogs and my guns guard the garage... hahaha. i used to worry about getting robbed considering i had over $3000 worth of parts in there. im glad its finally out of there (at the machine shop).
thanks a lot. this will be my third motor and im going all out so this one doesnt blow.
-pete

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
i figured while the motor is out, that i would rewire my AC systems. some time over the years (probably previous owner), i believe the AC was hardwired. Meaning that the AC is always on. In order for me to get cold air, all i have to do is lower the temp... i dont have to press the AC button. Also the rpms dont change when the air is cold, or when i press the button.
If anyone has any wiring "diagrams" for the AC system that someone like me can understand, please let me know. ive looked through the tsrm and i dont understand how to read the diagrams.
also, has anyone replace the AC lines? i get my system charged every year, and by the fall the temp isnt as cold as it was in the beginning. ive got it leak tested every year for 4 years and no one has found anything.
thanks for any input
-pete

bustedknuckle

May 30, 2006
North Jersey
sneakypete;1014056 said:
i figured while the motor is out, that i would rewire my AC systems. some time over the years (probably previous owner), i believe the AC was hardwired. Meaning that the AC is always on. In order for me to get cold air, all i have to do is lower the temp... i dont have to press the AC button. Also the rpms dont change when the air is cold, or when i press the button.
If anyone has any wiring "diagrams" for the AC system that someone like me can understand, please let me know. ive looked through the tsrm and i dont understand how to read the diagrams.
also, has anyone replace the AC lines? i get my system charged every year, and by the fall the temp isnt as cold as it was in the beginning. ive got it leak tested every year for 4 years and no one has found anything.
thanks for any input
-pete
If you stop by I'll I can show you how to read the schematics.I'm in Franklin Lakes.Doing a similar build.Did you find a good shop.I'd like to get feedback sometime.
Tom

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
bustedknuckle;1018612 said:
If you stop by I'll I can show you how to read the schematics.I'm in Franklin Lakes.Doing a similar build.Did you find a good shop.I'd like to get feedback sometime.
Tom

yea i took everything to royal auto. jim is a real honest guy. he checked the block i gave him and it turns out the motor had rod knock and the crank was no good. also there was a crack between the coolant passage and the head bolt threads. so now i have to pull the motor ive got in the car right now and drop that one off to him.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
Rennat;1019068 said:
he meant at your build... the 7m will never be a bullet proof motor...

btw im doing the same setup, as far as internals go.

i know what he meant, i was just messing around.

im going to try my best to make it bulletproof. this will be my third motor and i dont want a new one in the near future. thats why im taking my time and plenty of money to do this.
-pete

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
im about to pull my motor out now.... but i have a problem. my cylinder head is at the shop and as far as i know, the head has to be on the block for you to lift it. how else, or what mounting points can i attach the hoist to?
also, how can i remove the crank bolt? the car is in gear and ive got a breaker bar, but its still spinning. everything is disconnected so i cant crank the car with a breaker bar on.
thanks
-pete

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
ok thats all taken care of... but there is another problem. my other motor, which is currently in the car has already been overbored. and the probes i got are .020 over. so i either need to find a new uncut block (which is harder to find than you think), or new pistons. if i do find someone willing to trade me a set of .040 pistons for my .020 pistons, are there any benefits of disadvantages in having too large of a piston? if i go with the .040, will there be enough meat left on the block?
thanks for any input
-pete

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
You'll be fine with .040 over pistons, lots of people do it

You obviously already know about the disadvantage, not enough space between the cylinders, the advantage would be not having to source a new block

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
think i found an uncut 89 block in decent condition. the guy said he had early stages of rod knock right before he pulled it to go jz. if it seems in decent condition, im gonna grab it. but if the crank is scored up, would i be able to use the crank from my good motor?
-pete

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
update on new parts:
ceramic coated exhaust manifold, exhaust manifold heat shields, intake manifold and runner, iscv body.
7/16 exhaust stud upgrade from DM
oil system upgrades such as Prosport sandwich plate, b&m bar and plate oil cooler, mogal oil thermostat, and trasko bypass filter
lotek 2 pillar pod, prosport gauges (oil press, oil temp, and boost)

Next week im gonna order a few things from driftmotion including the Action Stage 4 clutch kit and heat shielding intake manifold gasket

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
Update:
-I got a new block from jblmk3 with a perfect condition crank.
-I was running into too many problems with the Probe .020 pistons as far as tolerances go, so i broke down and ordered a set of CP .040 oversized forged pistons
-Ordered the Suprasport short shifter
-Received the BIC poly motor mounts and torque damper
-Received DM stage 4 clutch, heat shielding intake mani gasket
-Ordered a few more things from DM such as: various belts, tranny mount, new slave cylinder, full length clutch hose, clevite bearing set, etc

Next items to order: Megan Coilovers and New brakes (havent decided if im gonna invest in big brakes or just new rotors and pads).

Question about the new clutch: should i get the flywheel resurfaced, or get a lightweight flywheel?

thanks
-pete