Raised Cowl Hood Feeler Thread (DO U WANT ONE)

Would like to have a hood like this?

• Yes

Votes: 23 71.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
CentralComposites;1650320 said:
If you supply them, I will instal them on the hood and make a how-to write up no problem.

Im happy to build whatever! I told the moderators here that I was only going to sell the hoods. Any additional product is at their mercy :bowdown:

Sounds good, I'll order a set tonight. Shoot me a PM w/ your address or I can have them shipped to Kenny's, which ever is easier.

-Fred

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
CentralComposites;1650320 said:
If you supply them, I will instal them on the hood and make a how-to write up no problem....

Ok, I'm looking at the flush ones I posted earlier. Will there be info on where to send the pins in the official GB thread?

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

Ahh, Fred, you beat me to the gun! What pin style are you looking for?

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Chambers;1650331 said:
Ok, I'm looking at the flush ones I posted earlier. Will there be info on where to send the pins in the official GB thread?

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

Ahh, Fred, you beat me to the gun! What pin style are you looking for?

The first ones that you posted, the ones that lock. These I'll get in black, I bought a set of the CF finished ones for the SC but I'm not crazy about them. Either set that you posted have to be cut thru the hood to flush mount I believe. Look at the base footprint of each.

More matching stuff! Just don't run without them, having a hood come up at speed isn't fun.

-Fred

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
CentralComposites;1650306 said:
Kenny and I were kicking around the idea of a seperate buy in for a vented hood. Im not sure if there would be enough interest to make it happen or not. I would have to either make an addition to the raised cowl mold so the hood could be a true one piece, or build seperate molds and add the vents prior to clearcoat. If we add the vents to the mold, I'll need an extra $150.00 but if we had a seperate GB I would discount to $750.00 per hood. Im happy to kick around other options so whatever you may come up with, please let me know.

Please do the one piece with the vents for me, Marcus!!! $150 extra is worth coming up with to get such a rare piece on my car. I was afraid it would be more than that by far for the extra mold work.

Kenny, count me back in for sure if Marcus is willing to do the vents for me on this round. Won't have the deposit till c-mas wknd tho. Just started a new job last week and gotta wait for that first two week check to come through. Lemme know if this is a problem but I will definitely re-commit (for sure this time) if this is workable. There is still a slot right? I'm so serious I said "for sure" twice!LOL!

Lets get these hoods in progress and then get into hood pin intalation and other options. I'd like to have a chance to show how I plan to instal the hood latch system. It will be fairly overkill and the hood should be comparable in stiffness to stock. Im not saying that you should run without hood pins, just not planning on having these delaminate.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
boostcraver;1650358 said:
Please do the one piece with the vents for me, Marcus!!! $150 extra is worth coming up with to get such a rare piece on my car. I was afraid it would be more than that by far for the extra mold work.

Kenny, count me back in for sure if Marcus is willing to do the vents for me on this round. Won't have the deposit till c-mas wknd tho. Just started a new job last week and gotta wait for that first two week check to come through. Lemme know if this is a problem but I will definitely re-commit (for sure this time) if this is workable. There is still a slot right? I'm so serious I said "for sure" twice!LOL!

You will definitely be sporting a rare hood!

No problem on the money delay. That small amount of time shouldn't hold anything up. You're added to the list! :)

I will start the official GB Thread tomorrow.

Last edited:

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
CentralComposites;1650360 said:
Lets get these hoods in progress and then get into hood pin intalation and other options. I'd like to have a chance to show how I plan to instal the hood latch system. It will be fairly overkill and the hood should be comparable in stiffness to stock. Im not saying that you should run without hood pins, just not planning on having these delaminate.

That sounds fine with me Marcus. I would imagine that if you are producing airplane parts a hood would be a walk in the park. Just a little paranoid having had 2 hoods come loose on me--at speed.

-Fred

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
CajunKenny;1645714 said:
I am going to have a custom carbon fiber hood made. It will have a raised cowl and possibly some sort of venting. Not sure on the venting; but, I am considering it...

My composite guy quoted me $950.00 for the raised cowl, with or without vents (price may vary depending on vent type). This specific hood will have additional edge wrapping, reinforced hood latch, and extra under bracing. He guarantees this hood against seam separation, hood latch breakage, and excessive flexing while driving. Obviously, if you plan on attempting to break the sound barrier, you'll want hood pins; but, that goes without saying...

Now, $950.00 is for one hood. The price drops to $700.00 if we can get ten sold. HE REQUESTED A DEPOSIT OF ONLY HALF PER HOOD ($350).

To help retain it's uniqueness, there will be a limit of ten hoods produced.

So, this is a thread to see how much interest is out there. Are there nine other people out there that would like to have a hood like this?

Thanks,
-Kenny

ADDED INFO: These hoods will be a 2x2 Twill 12k Weave. Every hood will have provisions for Hood Pins/Clasps.

He also mentioned that he is not limited to just Carbon Fiber. He can make CF/Kevlar colored ones as well. In case someone would like theirs color matched to their car. (Prices may vary)

Commitments thus far:

1. Scruggs86.5T
2. CajunKenny
3. Fred
4. Toyotanos
5. Chambers
6. Scotty (Pending Shipping Arrangements)
7. SupraSport91
8. te72
9. boostcraver
10.koenigturbo

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

O.K. Cajun Kenny put me on the list.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
^How did I miss you?!?! Lol... Sorry....You're on now! :D

That fills all ten slots! Excellent!

Look for the official GB Thread tomorrow morning. Names will be added to the list as deposits are made. It will include the deposit link and we'll get this project going.

Thanks Everyone!
-Kenny

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
Damn, I'm giddy like a kid @christmas...coincidentally timed correctly! I didn't do shit to my last supra but drive it (and fix the BHG ;)), so I'm looking forward to the new bodywork. Next on the list: Shine carbon airguide...

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I'm pretty excited as well!

EVERYONE: My apologies. I wasn't aware of the time frame involved with the GB Application Process. Look for the official thread in about a week. Sorry for the delay; but, you can still send your deposit at any time using the link in this thread. If you send it before the Official GB Thread has been started, your name will be added accordingly once it has been started.

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
:cry: 10 only :cry: . I sure wish i had been a good. Hrs late and now im out of the mix. If someone drops out let me know FO SHO. I got a few big face bens and some other dead guys on some bills that im trying to get rid of.

Seriously let me know if someone flakes out. (& they always do :evil2: )
What about the kevlar wrap? Im in no way into the carbon fiber weave look.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Thanks for letting me know VooDoo! You'll be the first to know if someone drops out of their slot.

Yes, Kevlar is an option. :)

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

FYI: One deposit already in! You know who you are! ;)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
As far as a hood vent goes, I'd like a simple vent between the radiator and the timing cover, to avoid rain/snow getting everything dirty. Cowl lines would stay in line preferably. I believe Mattsplat72 or whatever his name is posted up a better description...

nightrider760;1650401 said:
no to hijack the thread but I know someone who could done it for 350 dlls total plus shipping on CF

With 12k currently at $30-$35 a yard with 3 or 4 layers, plus core, resin and machined hardware, that would be cheaper than the material cost alone. You have to consider time for engineering and building the product plus offsetting the mold cost. This mold will cost me roughly $1500.00. We're not messin with bondo and Polyester here :cool:

These guys are paying for proformance

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Something like this would do nicely, I was actually gonna buy his hood if he ever parted it out. This is pretty much exactly what I want, but in CF. Those of you who want a radiator vent, PLEASE do yourself a favor and look at the couple pages of pictures of Tim's car...

http://tim.thedugans.net/gallery/v/auto/supra/body/?GALLERY_FORM_VARIABLE_PREFIXenterAlbum=1

Thanks to Tim (speed on here) for making this hood for inspiration! :)

Check his build thread too:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...is-so-1990-s&p=1074939&viewfull=1#post1074939

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
scotty;1646164 said:
I'd love to have these vents, with a slight raised cowl!
p1650699_1.jpg

But there is another who would like something a little different...would you be willing to make one of each, Marcus? If not, the two of us need to put our heads together and agree on something...you still out there te72? Any thoughts?

boostcraver;1650699 said:
But there is another who would like something a little different...would you be willing to make one of each, Marcus? If not, the two of us need to put our heads together and agree on something...you still out there te72? Any thoughts?

I'll do either one or both. $150.00 per vent choice. Sound fair?

Kenny asked me about cars with oversized turbo's. Is there anyone involved that needs a little extra room for your turbo? Is it even something to worry about?