Raised Cowl Hood Feeler Thread (DO U WANT ONE)

Would like to have a hood like this?

• Yes

Votes: 23 71.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
When were talking about height as being 1- 1.5 iches is that total height or is that 1" - 1.5" added to stock height.

Shipping: I did some home work on this: If's shipped dock to dock instead of door to door that should cut down on shipping cost, I'd say just about everyone could find a pick up truck to get it home.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Koenigturbo;1649030 said:
When were talking about height as being 1- 1.5 iches is that total height or is that 1" - 1.5" added to stock height.

Shipping: I did some home work on this: If's shipped dock to dock instead of door to door that should cut down on shipping cost, I'd say just about everyone could find a pick up truck to get it home.

I was referring to 1" to 1.5" added to the stock height.

Thanks for the info on shipping. I'll pass that on...

RazoE;1649061 said:
blown struts are still too strong..

I tried to use 1 blown strut on my CF hood, It was super hard to close the hood and I didn't want to break it..

Thanks RazoE. That's definitely a noteworthy tip. :)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Also something to consider is if you guys can get one of these shipped to a business (a shop you frequent, work, etc), sometimes you can get freight cheaper.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
UPDATE:

The builder is exploring all shipping options. So far, yes. Dock to Dock is looking to be the cheapest.

Posted below are some pics of mock ups that he did with foam. This is part of his process to get a feel for how to approach the project. You'll notice two different foam thicknesses and the 'In-Car' pics are to demonstrate view obstruction. **This is NOT how the Hood will Look!** It will follow the stock lines and resemble Tekdeus' hood. (I wanted to get that out there before someone has a heart-attack! ;))

It appears that the angle of the sides of the stock cowl are approximately 35-37*. To retain most of the cross-sectional width of the cowl, that angle will be increased to ~45*.

Stock cowl height is .5". This will be increased to 1.5".

**Everyone please review all of the information and post your concerns/comments soon. In a few days, I will open the official GB Thread and you will be able to make your deposit then.**

Thanks everyone! We're going to have some sweet hoods! :D

PICS:
p1649498_1.jpg

p1649498_2.jpg

p1649498_3.jpg

p1649498_4.jpg

p1649498_5.jpg

p1649498_6.jpg

p1649498_7.jpg

p1649498_8.jpg

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Looks good Kenny. I am assuming that the front leading edge will be tapered in like Brad's hood. No holes for the windshield washers--I didn't want them anyway since my washer system is on the shelf. Also, I have to comment about the hood struts, you don't really want to use them with a CF hood. I know on the Siebon CF hood on the SC300 they could not be used do to the lightness of the hood. The amount of reinforcing that would have to be added would negate the weight savings gained by going CF. A hood prop is pretty easy to get used too and can stow in the back.
The biggest concern I have for a CF hood is for everyone to REALLY consider using Aero Catch or NRG hood pins, I think from my experience with the Siebon hood that they are needed for security.

-Fred

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Since the general consensus is ditching the windshield washers, could someone put together a place to buy the ones Brad referenced? Like dealer or auto shop part numbers, and maybe links to places on the web so we can access this easier.

The mock ups look great! This is going to rock!

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
I only see at least two people not wanting windsheild sqiurters, I personly do not see it as "general consense's" can someone please tell me why a raised cowl is a problem for the sqiurters is it because of the elbow? Why does raising it cause a problem? What the problem I that I don't realize?
Chambers: Brad got his windshield sqiurters from a "95" Grand Prix.

---------- Post added at 07:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 AM ----------

Chambers;1648990 said:
Were getting close!

Would it help if I signed up for the G.B.?

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Koenigturbo;1649752 said:
I only see at least two people not wanting windsheild sqiurters, I personly do not see it as "general consense's" can someone please tell me why a raised cowl is a problem for the sqiurters is it because of the elbow? Why does raising it cause a problem? What the problem I that I don't realize?
Chambers: Brad got his windshield sqiurters from a "95" Grand Prix.

---------- Post added at 07:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 AM ----------

Would it help if I signed up for the G.B.?

I would like to retain the factory squirters, It just seemed to me that everyone was gawking over Brads hood in a way that they wanted a copy exactly the same in every way, shaved squirters included. And if it differed then they would be out, maybe I'm just over reacting. I know if the holes are not premade for the squirters no one will find me chopping the hood up to install them, especially since there will be a limited run of product.

As for the Grand Prix squirters, looking on rockauto I couldnt find them, anywhere else?

Yes, joining the GB would be a great help!

On a design note, has anyone thought of having a little throw towards the hood at the top of the cowl?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Chambers;1649807 said:
I would like to retain the factory squirters...

On a design note, has anyone thought of having a little throw towards the hood at the top of the cowl?

I second this. Drive my car every day, kinda need squirters, at least once in a while.

What do you mean by having a 'throw'?

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
I am assuming by throw he means something along these lines.
attachment.php

Obviously not this extreme, but something like this. A little slant towards the windshield at the top of the cowl. I would be alright with this if it was somewhat suttle and it looked like it belonged there. I think there might be a possibility of it running into the windshield with the hood raised if it is too long, not sure on that though.

Hello all! I suppose its time for me to chime in. My name is Marcus Fahlgren and I am a co-owner of Central Composites. I will be building these hoods :icon_bigg

Here is a little about myself and Central Composites:

We specialize in production composite manufacturing, as well as custom fabrication. Central Composites has been in business since 2007 but expanded in late 2009 after a company called Epic air filed for bankruptcy. At this time, four former employees joined forces to better the production abilities. Between five employees we have a combined forty years experience in aircraft composites engineering and manufacturing. We share a shop at the Bend, Oregon airport with TNT Aviation, building carbon fiber speed modifications on the fleet of flying Epic LT VLJ's.

We are excited about this project and plan to implement our aircraft experience towards manufacturing higher quality automotive parts.

On a more personal note, I enjoy working on my hotrod 54' Chevy pickup and co-business owners Tyson and Nate enjoy their toys respectively. Tyson with his lifted 55' Chevy pickup, and Nate with his 87' Toyota supra.

Nates supra will be the guinea pig for the project. It’s the car shown in thread #85. it is an 87' targa turbo With a JDM-7MGTE 3" turbo back exhaust, ARP Head Studs and Cometic Head gasket, 3core radiator w/ Fans, Nothing to fancy, relatively new Restoration project.

So far, the general consensus is a One and a Half inch cowl induction with no vents (If desired with vents that will be case by case). There will be a Metal Hard point with studs for our hood latch to be bolted on rather than bonded, Hinge locations and strut locations will have hard points built in as well. Each hard point will be a large plate to cut down the chances of cracking by spreading the stress over a larger area. The windshield sprayer and hood pin locations will have no core to make installation easier (holes will be pre-cut by request only). The finish on the hood will be a UV-A and UV-B protective clear coat for a nice clean look and no surface bubbles.

Kenny will be opening a new thread for official buy-ins. If you would like to make your deposit now, it can be done at: http://www.centralcomposites.com/suprahoodgroupbuy/

Thank you again to the SupraMania.com moderators for allowing this project to take place! We are grateful and hope to satisfy everyone involved.

sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Scruggs86.5T;1649892 said:
I am assuming by throw he means something along these lines.
attachment.php

Obviously not this extreme, but something like this. A little slant towards the windshield at the top of the cowl. I would be alright with this if it was somewhat suttle and it looked like it belonged there. I think there might be a possibility of it running into the windshield with the hood raised if it is too long, not sure on that though.

Yea, thats it. It would need to be subtle compared to that like you said. Just somthing to give it a little more somthing!

CentralComposites;1649917 said:
Hello all! I suppose its time for me to chime in. My name is Marcus Fahlgren...

Thank you again to the SupraMania.com moderators for allowing this project to take place! We are grateful and hope to satisfy everyone involved.

sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]

COOL! Its great that you joined and posted! Can't wait to see what other things you guys will create, Supra and non Supra based!

By the way, you cant just tease us with that nose shot of that truck! :D

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Well, I'm gonna not sweat the small stuff, if they build it with/without squirter holes, either way I don't really care, it's really minor either way. sounds like he's gonna do the sqiurter hole by reqeust, which is the alright by me. I never really notice Tekdeus's hood didn't have sqiurters, "HuH" I gotta take a closer look.:momaru:

Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
CentralComposites;1649917 said:
Hello all! I suppose its time for me to chime in. My name is Marcus Fahlgren and I am a co-owner of Central Composites. I will be building these hoods :icon_bigg

Thanks for posting Marcus! :)

Ok...Counting down here. Two days till the 'Official GB' Thread is started!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
So Marcus, what are we talking here for vents, as far as additional price goes?

By the way, you cant just tease us with that nose shot of that truck!

p1650306_1.jpg

I've been working on this truck for over 10 years and i'm no where close to finished. I just got a set of Chip Foose 18's and im going to wrap the fenders and running boards with carbon kevlar. should be nice :naughty:

So Marcus, what are we talking here for vents, as far as additional price goes?

Kenny and I were kicking around the idea of a seperate buy in for a vented hood. Im not sure if there would be enough interest to make it happen or not. I would have to either make an addition to the raised cowl mold so the hood could be a true one piece, or build seperate molds and add the vents prior to clearcoat. If we add the vents to the mold, I'll need an extra $150.00 but if we had a seperate GB I would discount to $750.00 per hood. Im happy to kick around other options so whatever you may come up with, please let me know.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Hey Marcus, just a quick question about the AeroCatch hood pins. Would you want me to supply a set for install or do you want to supply them? They are something that I would prefer not to have to install on a new CF hood. Since you have a Supra at the shop, locating the pins and catch position should be straight forward for a universal install footprint and that location could be incorporated into your production run. Or if needed added on the individual spec sheet for each hood-ie: I do not want vents and I do not want windshield washer sprayers.

Great thanks to Kenny and to you Marcus for taking on this project. Next phase could be CF Sunroof lids and CF Targa tops???

-Fred

SWD Fredester 3;1650313 said:
Hey Marcus, just a quick question about the AeroCatch hood pins. Would you want me to supply a set for install or do you want to supply them? They are something that I would prefer not to have to install on a new CF hood. Since you have a Supra at the shop, locating the pins and catch position should be straight forward for a universal install footprint and that location could be incorporated into your production run. Or if needed added on the individual spec sheet for each hood

If you supply them, I will instal them on the hood and make a how-to write up no problem.

Next phase could be CF Sunroof lids and CF Targa tops???

Im happy to build whatever! I told the moderators here that I was only going to sell the hoods. Any additional product is at their mercy :bowdown: