Race Ready 7M

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
I have been driving the Supra around 65MPH, ambient air temps in the 90s, with the engine revs around 4-5K for about 5 minutes and the engine starts generating enough heat to cause the temps to start creepin up to just above mid way on the stock temp gauge.
It is my opinion that the 7M needs more cooling capacity. It's already got eight quarts of oil. I'm going to hook up the surge tank, that holds another gallon of fluid in reserve, to the Koyo Racing Rad, see if that doesn't help keep the temps in order... Van

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Going up a long 3% grade at 55MPH, at 80 degree ambient temp, and a heat soaked engine, when I decided to squeeze the foot feed, quickly putting the CT26 into compressor surge. That is a first for this engine. Just before the surge, I heard the CT26 spooling up, something I've never heard before on the old engine.
I think it's time for an upgraded T4 style turbo set-up. Van

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
DO IT!
I can't wait to see what this motor can do with a real turbo.:evil2:
Any Idea what turbo your going to run? And do you still have the stock intake manifold on there (have you ported it or anything)?

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Yes, the intake is ported/polished and all the EGR ports and runner, machined off the intake, such that there can never be attached a stock EGR valve. The #6 exhaust port, EGR opening, is welded closed so it is smooth and not a cause for turbulance. The ECU is JDM 7MGTE. Van

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

I managed to get the compressor surge to go away, by adjusting the gain on the Blitz Dual, EBC down to 16 and percent of waste gate set at 80. Van

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Fattys going back on the Dyno at VIP Performance mid month, to get more fine tuning done. This time I'd like to see better numbers: during idle, the motor may not need to run so rich (14.3 A/F); also would like to see less fuel accross the board until WOT, but we'll see what this motor will tell us. Van

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
I thought for a couple weeks that my engine was getting hot for no reason until i noticed the temp gauge was reading the TCCS's water temp sender, which has different resistance and so hopped the dash gauge about.
I swapped connections at the senders and everything's good/stable.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Thanks for that... I'll check the TSRM EWD and get that checked out on the 7M. Van
thedave925;1757908 said:
I thought for a couple weeks that my engine was getting hot for no reason until i noticed the temp gauge was reading the TCCS's water temp sender, which has different resistance and so hopped the dash gauge about.
I swapped connections at the senders and everything's good/stable.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
That's helpful. Thanks for that... That matches what I'm seeing in both the TSRM and my 7M.
Question is, would it make any difference if I have the temp sensor wire on the A/C aux fan sensor? Van
Devin LeBlanc;1757953 said:
The ECU water temp sensor is a two wire. The other single wire sensor you are thinking off is for the A/C/aux fan offered one some models.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
I took Ol Fatty back to VIP Performance for some more street tuning and Wryann set the A/F for crusing, under 20% throttle at 15.0 - 16.0; 30 - 60% throttle, A/F 12.5 - 13.0 under 5 psig; 70 - 100% throttle, full boost, A/F 10.8 - 11.3.
The 7M now has the recirc hose attached to the blow-off valve, so there isn't near the stumbling and ovr rich condition, but it still does stumble when under full boost and then I snap the throttle closed while braking hard to come to a stop. Other than that circumstance, it works well at maintaining an idling engine.
Wryann stated that this 7M that M&B Cylinder Head modified and helped build, really likes to be run within these A/F settings. He added that he is surprised that it idles so smoothly at the leaner A/F, w/o a hint of that lean popping sound out the exhaust pipe that accompanies some modified engines.
Van

Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
[video=youtube;VOFf6BULYR4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOFf6BULYR4[/video]
I was at a BBQ w/a bunch of fellow Supra owners and decided to have a little fun... The Kumhos do smoke real nicely! This was the end for the Kumho 711s.

Last edited:

ma70suprawoner

May 5, 2010
Gladstone, Oregon, United States
hey van i think i keep on seeing your car on a 184th powell right next to gladstone street since my girl friends parents live right down the street from you if im seeing the same supra lol i saw you last sunday while i was changing the alternator on my car in the drive way any who its nice to see other mk3's on the road