Race Ready 7M

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
ma70suprawoner;1770932 said:
hey van i think i keep on seeing your car on a 184th powell right next to gladstone street since my girl friends parents live right down the street from you if im seeing the same supra lol i saw you last sunday while i was changing the alternator on my car in the drive way any who its nice to see other mk3's on the road
No, that's not / wasn't me.
These days, I spend my weekends in the Oak Grove neighborhood... You're right. It is geat to see our MKIIIs on the road. :)

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
ma70suprawoner;1772179 said:
ah so your up in milwakie area thats were i live lol havent seen your car around though.... do you drive that beast on the road at alll ?
Yes, I put about 60 miles a day in the seat, (M-F) and it's still a joy to drive. As the weather gets colder and freezing/snowing, I'll likely be driving the VW Golf. Van

ma70suprawoner

May 5, 2010
Gladstone, Oregon, United States
nice man i put just about the same on mine and i got to say the 1jzgte swap i did was worth the time and im enjoying driving my car once again only thing now is i broke the back waste gate off so when i hit full boost it dumps it quick and i get a bit of turbo surge in the back turbo but im buying a oem bov soon

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
I just placed my order, for the Kirkey Intermediate Road Race seat w/ Air Knit upholstry.
attachment.php
I'll get it expertly installed at Competition Motorsports, next week. Van:burnout:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
CajunKenny;1791509 said:
Nice, Van! You won't be disappointed with that. Even on long hauls.
Thanks, Kenny.
By the time of our next Supra meet, I'll have a long term report of the comfort and stability in the seat. Van

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Here are the latest modifications to the Supra... They're good for SCCA SOLO 2 and HPDE track days. Next on the list are new Energy poly suspension bushings F&R and new Toyota spherical bushings on the rear. The poly bushings should help make turn-in more precise! Van

WP_000012.jpgWP_000014.jpgWP_000015.jpgWP_000013.jpg

Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Update on the build: Wryann and his team at VIP Performance in NE Portland, replaced the suspension bushings on the Supra, less the sub-frame bushings, and the first thing I can feel is how rough the road is in the Kirkey seat. LOUSY roads! I'm glad I didn't have the harder bushings installed! To years ago I had the stock springs replaced with RSR race springs. The spring rate on the RSR race springs are 700f/400r and the Supra is streetable. Now the Supra is more communicative going into turns, feeling the road through the wheel and the seat. It is not a harsh ride, but is close to it in my experience. When I upgrade the wheels and tires to 17x9 running 40 series tires, I expect more feedback through the steering wheel and seat and hopefully no additional, noticable harshness.
As goes the JDM ECU: It has problems now, it's not processing the knock sensor signal, so it is toast. I ordered replacements, as they were both under $90 shipped. Hopefully, one of these will last longer than one year, as the current one did. :(

Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Time Slips April 2012.jpg
Here is the latest result as of 4/13/12. Did a couple runs then had to call it quits, as the engine was running very rough!
4/16/12 Wryann at VIP showed me the result; the engine in two cylinders, had plugs in them w/ cracked ceramic insulators, giving me that slow time on the second run. He suspected it was related to the timing and worked out the problem; testing of the knock sensors and the signal wires showed a signal going into the ECU, but the ECU wasn't adjusting timing... Ouch! No knock signal getting processed by the ECU.
Time for a different ECU… Van

Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
No knock adjusted timing at your compression?!?! Ouch!

Sorry I missed you this year at Centralia. I tried to make it! ;)

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
CajunKenny;1845591 said:
No knock adjusted timing at your compression?!?! Ouch!

Sorry I missed you this year at Centralia. I tried to make it! ;)
I missed you too, Kenny ;)
Well, what is the matter with your Supra? Last I heard, it was a seal...
The JDM replacement ECU was installed tonight and it throws a CEL at 3K RPM. Tomorrow, I'll pull the code(s). More to come! Van

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
pimptrizkit;1845796 said:
Thread looks good . Im in vancouver and need to finish reading ur thread but sounds dam good from what ive read.
Thanks! I've had to take the upgrades more slowly than I'd like. It's still a lot of fun.
Van;1845767 said:
The JDM replacement ECU was installed tonight and it throws a CEL at 3K RPM. Tomorrow, I'll pull the code(s). More to come! Van
I got home way later than I expected, so I'll pull those code(s) tomorrow night.
Still, I drove all day w/o a CEL, so that is a sign of relief! Van

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Van;1845767 said:

Yep, she leaks oil like a cow peeing on a flat rock. I lowered her down off the trailer, into the garage, and closed the door. I haven't looked at it since. Just been too busy... My guess is that it's the front main because idle oil pressures is about 20 psi.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Van;1846152 said:
Thanks! I've had to take the upgrades more slowly than I'd like. It's still a lot of fun.

I got home way later than I expected, so I'll pull those code(s) tomorrow night.
Still, I drove all day w/o a CEL, so that is a sign of relief! Van
The JDM TCCS has a code 32, 42, and 51. The car has no AC (code 51), Speed Sensor signal (code 42, car is pre ABS), the ECU must be looking for it, and I noted a code 32 is a bad AFM signal from the GE AFM, according to the TSRM.
Is all that right? Van