Race Ready 7M

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Update - Here is where the 7M stands... It still has a random misfire, under heavy load. Ignition timing was taken down to 9 then 8 degrees base timing, AFR still are choppy (10.3 -10.9:1), occasional timing retard during WOT runs.
Checked the knock sensors and both are working. He tried runing the car w/o one then both, but the AFR's were still choppy.
I ran these symptoms by an engine builder, who builds drag racing motors. He asked what the 7M's compression ratio is, I said 9.4:1. He asked what the stock computer was programmed for by Toyota, I said, 8.5:1. He said that 9.4:1 on a stock computer, is a problem. He suggested a custom computer with new timing and fuel maps, will solve the 7M's misfire problems.
I later mentioned that the CPS is old and the plug wires, oil soaked. He suggested I replace the wires and the misfire may go away, to try that first. I ordered new plug wires. He also said to check the CPS again for specs and replace as necessary.
Also check the igniter, even though it is only three years old, and to do the full diagnostic and check that the transistors are still in spec by doing a load test. I have no idea what he's talking about...:1zhelp:
I just checked the TSRM: I think he meant to apply 3V DC to the four pin connector on the igniter and check for momentary continuity.
At VIP Performance, they retorqued the head nuts, replaced the cam cover gaskets and the cam cover grommets and bolts, placed FIPG where Toyota suggests. Ryann reported that there was very little loss of torque on the ARP's studs, a few foot Lbs off on some and a couple on others.
The AFC swap out didn't show any difference w/ misfire or the choppy AFR's, so Ryann replaced the AFC NEO w/ my old NEO dynoed the car, reset the AFC and the AFR's at WOT to 10.5:1.
Also, Ryann replaced the old CPS connector with a newer one from a newer CPS w/a bad bearing, I had lying around at home, and soldered that connector to a CPS that just came off a 7M crate engine from Japan, all for 80 bucks! He installed that newer CPS on the motor before the dyno testing, but all that work had no effect on the misfire.
So, for the meantime, this is where the 7M stands; very usable for DD, but still dodgy during WOT runs.
I'll keep you posted. Van

Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
I installed the aluminum, Koyo racing rad yesterday, and had the radiator shop near my home, look at using the JDM temp sensor fitting, on the bottom tank, as a access point for the surge tank, and it will work! I'll take pics after that gets hooked up.
Driving around town yesterday, I was able to take the 7M up to near redline, shifted into second, slowly added pressure to the foot feed, and the power came on strong, built, then dropped off, I lifted off the pedal, then added pressure more slowly, and was able to build power that way a little further up the tach, then I had to back off so I didn't exceed the speed limit much (45MPH limit).
All day yesterday, the 7M idled too high, I reset the CPS and it needs to be reclocked, as there is no more adjustment room on the slot, the RPMs are down from 1K to 825 though.
VIP replaced the rebuilt CPS, with one from a JDM crate engine. I notice a misfire at idle, that wasn't present before the replacement CPS was installed. It is very annoying, pop,pop,pop all the time.
I ordered a new CPS from Champion. I'm going to have the igniter tested, if the misfire persists. Van

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
I think so. I noticed this afternoon, that the CPS VIP installed from the JDM engine, has a bad oil seal, is leaking into the housing and oil soaked all the electrics! POS. Oil in the housing is causing the current misfire/bad idle.
Should I replace it with the CPS that has the bad bearing, that doesn't leak, until I get the new one? Van
IBoughtASupra;1680014 said:
Good call on getting new CPS from Toyota.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
IBoughtASupra;1680084 said:
Yes, that would be the good thing to do right now. Is the gear shaking on the other CPS?
Turns out the other CPS is in fine shape, now that I just re set the shaft. It looks like too much force was used to get it positioned into the head and caused the CPS shaft to be very snug on the base of the spline, where the cog is. I just tapped it into position and it needed the three pick-ups reset. I just finished the installation. It is working well, and the misfire during idle is resolved!

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Van;1664787 said:
The 7M's catch can is on the cool side of the engine and is recirculating vapors into the intake. None-the-less, when using NEO last year, we never experienced this "foaming".
I got a look at my wife's VW and the oil fill cap has a pasty, orange substance on it. She reports that it is there all the time, even after driving the car for almost an hour, when the o/s temps are below 40F. She does her own oil top up. We decided to order NEO and mix 50/50 w/Amsoil of the same viscosity.
Let's see what happens. Van

Trying to catch up. I've seen this on a couple of my Toyotas, mainly during the winter months when there's frequent short trips (ie: driving 15 min. to work) Doesn't seem to accumulate during the summer. Have you been going on fairly short trips in the car, I'm sure it's still cold up there.

Glad you got the timing issue resolved Van. If it's still pulling some at WOT, could it be due to using an AFC to tune? The AFC advances timing as fuel is removed (tells TCCS less air is entering), maybe a knock sensor is detecting slight knock, especially with the C/R you're running and it's pulling timing accordingly?
Brian

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Van, get the new CPS that you ordered and install the AEM. It will solve your tuning problems, trust me. You will make more power at a lower boost level compared to the stock ECU and have full timing control. You will be very happy.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
prsrcokr;1681297 said:
Trying to catch up. I've seen this on a couple of my Toyotas, mainly during the winter months when there's frequent short trips (ie: driving 15 min. to work) Doesn't seem to accumulate during the summer. Have you been going on fairly short trips in the car, I'm sure it's still cold up there.

Glad you got the timing issue resolved Van. If it's still pulling some at WOT, could it be due to using an AFC to tune? The AFC advances timing as fuel is removed (tells TCCS less air is entering), maybe a knock sensor is detecting slight knock, especially with the C/R you're running and it's pulling timing accordingly?
Brian
Hi Brian,
Yes I do short drives around town and the weather might get up to 50 degrees this time of year. During the period it was happening I did drive it to several places in succession, with only a few minutes between stops at the next store. I had a Snap-On, hydrocarbon scan tool, placed near my radiator fill tube when the 7M was running, it didn't detect any hydrocarbons in the coolant flowing thru the top tank.

IBoughtASupra;1681303 said:
Van, get the new CPS that you ordered and install the AEM. It will solve your tuning problems, trust me. You will make more power at a lower boost level compared to the stock ECU and have full timing control. You will be very happy.
Hi,
I've always wanted to go standalone. I was told by Ryann of VIP Performance, that he can get an AEM pnp for an 87 for under 1,250.00, for the version one. He added that Tim Robards, formerly of RREV Motorsports, had bad boards on the AEM in his Red MKIV, and went MoTec.
Have any of you had problems with your AEM, version ones? Van

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
somehow, i was just talking to john reed from PSI about the new V2s last night, he's says he likes them much better as far as its easier to tune, what that means in english for us normal people, i have no idea, but he did say from the AEM v1 to the V2 on a mkIV with a 67mm BB turbo car (i guess it was just an ecu swap) he said that somehow he was able to get an avrage of like 20-30whp more in the entire power band with the "same" tune. so, who knows, might be worth looking into.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Flash!
Race Ready 7M is now up and running, normally. I changed the plugs from copper to stock ND Platinum and gaped them to .030in. Then cleaned up the oily plug wires, set base timing per TSRM, removed the jumper, reset the CPS to get the idle down to 650RPMs, went for a ride, boosted and no break-up, misfire or timing being pulled, during the road test. So far so good. I'll keep you posted if there are any changes.
I'm hoping the problem is solved and Ryann at VIP, can finish the tune! Van