Race Ready 7M

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought you were building this motor for racing and wanted to keep it stock looking?
If I were you, I would put together your own kit. I'm a really big fan of the precision billet ball bearing turbo's. IMO it makes no sense to build such a bad ass motor and put a lower quality kit on it. I've never used a driftmotion kit though.
Are you planning on running race gas, ethanol or water meth injection once you up the boost?

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
dslocal;1661112 said:
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought you were building this motor for racing and wanted to keep it stock looking?
If I were you, I would put together your own kit. I'm a really big fan of the precision billet ball bearing turbo's. IMO it makes no sense to build such a bad ass motor and put a lower quality kit on it. I've never used a driftmotion kit though.
Are you planning on running race gas, ethanol or water meth injection once you up the boost?
I'm open to good arguments going either route. SCCA will have me classed to run with high powered Porsche turbos, and ZO6. Since I'm running in ITE anyway, I might as well try to get the biggest bang for the buck... It just needs to be reliable, for example, not need tinkering with each race weekend. Van

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Which size turbo would work with my set-up: 2JZtt fuel pump, Driftmotion J-tube and damper delete kits, Aeromotive AFPR, 550cc and Lex/AFM?
I plan to run unleaded race fuel that is 104 octane. Van

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
A 60-1 or 67MM kit.

You could also call Aaron get just the kit for the 7M with all the parts except the turbo. Then contact Grimsta on here, SupraMania, and ask him to get you a price on a Precision 6262, he gets good prices. That will run the samething as getting the kit and that turbo will spool quick, a mix between the 60-1 and 67.

I am assuming you want the quick spool and high horsepower but you don't want to wait for a 67MM to spool. You will get fast spool on the 6262 and get a .68 housing. You don't need the big turbo to compete since I am also assuming you are running in a circuit race, just quick spool. So think about that. Once again, if you don't want to get the 6262, Aaron's kit works fine but he doesn't have a mix between the 60-1 and 67.

I did have full boost(10 PSI) on my 7M with no headwork at about 3800 on the 60-1 with a .70 hotside. So use that for reference if you can give us a power level you cannot exceed, that will help to select a turbo.

With this much of a build, why don't you have a standalone to run it? You will find a lot of power in the high end if you do since the Toyota ECU runs rich, 10's, in the higher RPM. If you decide on getting one, I have a new TEC3 for sale.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Van;1661145 said:
Maximum WHp 450 @ 5800 rpm (2 Bar)

O, okay. A 60-1 will get good for you because it will definately spool early on a setup like you. Just to make sure, the 60-1 T4, not the upgraded CT-26.

Do you have cams? If you get a standalone it will help you a lot. I am not a fan of any piggyback since it just tricks the stock computer but as Kenny will tell you, the MAFT Pro is a decent system with a lot of feature.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
IBoughtASupra;1661177 said:
O, okay. A 60-1 will get good for you because it will definately spool early on a setup like you. Just to make sure, the 60-1 T4, not the upgraded CT-26.

Do you have cams? If you get a standalone it will help you a lot. I am not a fan of any piggyback since it just tricks the stock computer but as Kenny will tell you, the MAFT Pro is a decent system with a lot of feature.
No, the 7M has stock GTE cams w/ adjustable cam gears. The plan is to move to a cam that will give the 7M a wider power/torque band/curve. Now it is driven a lot around 4K rpm and the stock cams work well with the CT26 at 10psi. When the 7M gets the T4 set-up, then there will be new cams. I must keep in mind that the choice needs to work well on road courses, which may be technical, and require a lot of shifting to keep the revs up. The motor needs to remain reliably predictable on the road course, power needs to come on smoothly over 1/2 throttle, as it does now.
Does that describe your experience w/ the 60-1? Which cams in your experience will help me reach my goal?
I'm planning to use 3P's TCCS board and software in the near future. In the meantime, I'm using an AFC NEO, adj AFM screw and AFPR, to trick the TCCS into behaving as I want... Van

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
I'll be running in ITE, Improved Touring, "E" for everything. I still need to strip out the interior and get a cage welded in, but first, my wife needs to get rehired. I'm the sole income earner in my household and money is tight. Van

Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Something else to consider is that the stock ECU will add unwanted timing at WOT above 4k. Your tuner will likely see it surface around 4800 rpm. 104 octane will help; but, at 2 bar, you'll likely need to be able to control timing. I suppose you could play with the base timing. 8* is a common high boost setting.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
This is after a base tune, on seven psig; expressed in WHP & WTq:
david%5B5%5D%20-%20Copy.jpg

VIP Performance, Portland OR.
PH - 503-257-1110
FAX - 503-257-4722
Aim- VIPperformance1

Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
CajunKenny;1663713 said:
Wow Van! Those are impressive numbers for only 7 psi!

What gear did they do the pulls in and what afr's?

I don't know... I'll call and ask Wryann tomorrow, at VIP Performance.
Yes, I too was surprised by those numbers! Brian Riley of M&B Cylinder Heads, knows very well, how to build racing engines. These numbers are on stock cams and valves, but with a lot of time and attention spent on the head, plus port matching the intake and exhaust manifolds, (using gaskets as guides).
There is some nebulus break-up on occasion, during WOT pulls that needs sorting out. Then we will see what Ol' Fatty can do! Van

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I sold a 7M car. .20 over NPR, stock fuel, stock cams and stock head, it made 297RWHP on 8 pounds but that was on a 60-1 T4 though.

Are you on stock coil packs? You can upgrade to the 2JZ-GE VVTi coil packs and do the igniter mod to help your ignition system.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
IBoughtASupra;1663758 said:
I sold a 7M car. .20 over NPR, stock fuel, stock cams and stock head, it made 297RWHP on 8 pounds but that was on a 60-1 T4 though.

Are you on stock coil packs? You can upgrade to the 2JZ-GE VVTi coil packs and do the igniter mod to help your ignition system.

Good job though.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
IBoughtASupra;1663758 said:

The 7M has a new 7M-GTE ignition system and new engine wire harness. It still has an oil leak around the cam covers that may contribute to the problem, but it also had some old gasoline, that didn't have much of the volatile components in it. Using the old sniff test, it wasn't aromatic as new, so we put in five gallons of new 76 brand 92 octane and the problem went away. I'll need to get the car back on the Dyno, once I've fixed the cam cover leak.
Also, I upgraded the fuel system w/Driftmotion's 7M-GTE AFPR kit, and a new 2JZ Denso fuel pump w/the 12V mod on a new relay. Van

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Van;1664005 said:
The 7M has a new 7M-GTE ignition system and new engine wire harness. It still has an oil leak around the cam covers that may contribute to the problem, but it also had some old gasoline, that didn't have much of the volatile components in it. Using the old sniff test, it wasn't aromatic as new, so we put in five gallons of new 76 brand 92 octane and the problem went away. I'll need to get the car back on the Dyno, once I've fixed the cam cover leak.
Also, I upgraded the fuel system w/Driftmotion's 7M-GTE AFPR kit, and a new 2JZ Denso fuel pump w/the 12V mod on a new relay. Van

Good job on the fuel upgrade. You have a new ignition system? Does that count for a new igniter as well? New or not, the ground mod by Jetjock can help in your ignition system.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
IBoughtASupra;1664064 said:
Good job on the fuel upgrade. You have a new ignition system? Does that count for a new igniter as well? New or not, the ground mod by Jetjock can help in your ignition system.

Yes, purchased new a year ago, and it has the extra ground wire! It also has a new ignition switch and harness... It's all $$$ new. Van